Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

It was supposed to be the happiest day of her life, but last June, Lisa says her “fairytale” wedding turned into a total nightmare that has torn her family apart. Lisa and her Uncle Bill -- who she says was like a father to her and even walked her down the aisle -- were trying to break up a fight at the reception, when they were run over by a minivan. Bill sustained serious injuries, and is now partially paralyzed. Since the wedding, Lisa admits that her relationship with her family, and with Bill especially, has been strained -- and says she just wants everyone to stop talking about the accident. Bill and his wife, Nelly, say they feel like Lisa has turned her back on them, adding insult to injury. Lisa’s grandmother, Theresa, agrees, and says she thinks Lisa only cares about her new life with her husband. Emotions run high when the family sits down together on Dr. Phil’s stage. What is the real reason Lisa is avoiding Bill? Then, Bill’s daughter, Dixie, says she is worried that her dad won’t be able to walk her down the aisle one day, and she blames Lisa. Why does she claim Lisa escalated the situation that day? Can Dr. Phil help this family heal? Then, Sarah Jakes, daughter of Bishop TD Jakes and author of the new book Lost & Found, opens up about her personal struggles -- including getting pregnant at 13. How was she able to get her life back on track? And, what is the one message she says she would give to her younger self?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: goldenbeach on Nov 8, 2014, 12:24AM
I wonder what Theresa was wanting out of this episode.  Her "crying" was so fake.  No tears!!!

Replied By: hazeld12 on Apr 13, 2014, 3:54AM
It's obvious that this girl from the get go was a spoiled brat, she went to live with her uncle and aunt, probably because she couldn't follow rules and now she punishes the very people who took her in and provided her with a wedding!  She is so ungrateful she should be paying for the physio for her uncle. And now she wants another wedding, she is incredibly insensitive to others feelings! WOW!!

Replied By: loyalalways on Apr 6, 2014, 5:19AM - In reply to lovingone
No, the person who is self-centered is the cousin, Bill's daughter. She cares more about herself than anything else. She's only upset because he might have a problem walking her down the aisle. The man can still walk, so there's no reason why she has to be whining about her wedding day, at this point. What's important is that there was a tragedy at Lisa's wedding and 2 people were run over by a car. Luckily, nobody was killed, so these people have to stop dwelling on the negative and look at the positive. It could have been a LOT worse. Bill has enough problems without all the bickering going on. Being the man of the house, he feels that he has to fix everything and make everyone happy. Until his wife and daughter stop whining and blaming, he's going to have a hard time healing.

Replied By: loyalalways on Apr 6, 2014, 12:09AM - In reply to lcourtney
I thought I was going to be the only person who thought the daughter was a selfish drama queen. Good grief, she even complained about Lisa living with them. Talk about selfish. So what if Bill walked Lisa down the aisle? That isn't stopping him from walking her down the aisle, too. She's acting like a spoiled 2 year old.

She claims that she's going to have an unhealthy dad to walk her down the aisle. Well, at least she has a dad to walk her down the aisle. My dad died before I was 10 years old. I would have much rather had a dad who had trouble walking down the aisle than a dead dad. She should be counting her blessings that she still has him in her life, instead of whining.

I also thought Dr. Phil was too hard on Lisa. She tried to explain that when things go wrong, she tends to hide from it. A lot of people are like that. However, he told her that was no excuse, like he, too was blaming her. Lisa did NOT create the fight. She didn't cause the accident.  She did NOT run over Bill and herself.  OTHER people did that. Someone crashed the wedding and got into a fight. That is the person to blame, if you insist on blaming someone. Lisa's very special day was ruined by this person, too.

I feel bad for Bill because he's been through a lot. However, as hard as things have been, they should all try their best to look for the postive in all of this, instead of dwelling on the negative. It's hard for him to move forward when everyone is feeling sorry for themselves and playing the blaming game. They need to realize that as hard as everything has been, things could have been a lot worse. Nobody died, nobody is in a coma, nobody is in a wheelchair.

Bill can still walk, even though it's a bit more difficult. He can still walk his daughter down the aisle for her wedding. His wife shouldn't be thinking of divorce. Your vows say, "in sickness and in healh". You don't quit when something goes wrong. I can see why her daughter is a selfish, drama queen. She gets it from her mother. They aren't helping Bill by feeling sorry for themselves. He's the one who got hurt. He's the one who needs support. It's hard for him to get better when he hs to worry about everyone else and their constant bickering. 

It's OK to grieve for a certain amount of time.  However, dragging it on and on does nothing for anyone. Nothing is worth breaking apart your family. All families have problems. They need to be there for one another. Dwelling on the negative does nothing and is not worth losing your family. There are a lot of other families in much worse situations. That's the only way to look at your life.  This situation was very unfortunate, but, not enough to tear apart a family. Life is just too short!

Replied By: upsydasy on Apr 5, 2014, 9:44AM - In reply to goosetracks
If my daughter was thinking of getting married again, I’d send her a bunch of links to “wedding day disaster” videos on YouTube and advise her to elope.  I’d also remind her of several years ago when a bride who had been trying to pose for the perfect photo in our area, fell into the rapids and drowned on her wedding day.  Too much is being made of that so-called fairy-tale day and not enough is ever said about the years that follow.  One year after my divorce, I wore my wedding dress to a Halloween party then ceremoniously threw it down the garbage shoot as soon as I got home – it was very satisfying.

Replied By: social_beast on Apr 2, 2014, 8:50PM
Regarding the bride's uncle who was run over by a van--

Because he is a victim of a violent crime, he may be eligible for monetary compensation to assist with his medical expenses incurred as a result. It wasn't disclosed what state he lives in, but it's important that he look up his state's crime victim's compensation division to see what benefits he may be able to apply for to help him and his family financially with his rehabilitation as well as counseling for him and his family to assist them with the emotional impact this has had on them all.

Replied By: lcourtney on Apr 2, 2014, 7:24PM
I was surprised Dr. Phil didn't recognize the grief the uncle at the wedding was going through.  He has lost his health and his job (often significant in one's identiy) and his future he thought was his.  It takes at least a year to come to terms with grief with just one major loss.

The daughter needs to learn she is a drama queen and needs to get over herself too.  

the wife needs help understanding grief and stop adding to it by threatening another loss for her husband.

and the bride is understandably having trouble with guilt.  going backwards to another wedding won't help.  

the family needs to recognize the bride is still a newly-wed and is establishing her new family and won't be as available as she used to be.

Good luck, Dr. Phil.

ccc

Replied By: gingerfox on Apr 2, 2014, 6:18PM
this story makes me sad because this family fails to see the pain this man is in. This show should have been on helping the uncle not letting this selfish child cry about a wedding. The lack of reality in this girls mind is so very sad. She may never know what real hardship is. I wish Dr Phil would have hammered her and sent her off the stage. Screw the wedding! This man is in pain....he has had a drastic life changing accedent! I wish they helped him....:(

Replied By: goosetracks on Apr 2, 2014, 6:09PM
Every single person on that stage needs to get over it. Come on, Bride- there is way too much emphasis on "perfect fantasy" weddings. You are married. You had a wedding. Life happens. You don't get a do-over. Cousin- you need therapy to deal with your jealousy. So your Dad wheels you down the aisle. Be glad he's alive. My Mom died when I was 23. Be glad for what you have. Dad, time to buck up and work your physical therapy. Grandma, STOP crying, for heaven's sake. Mom try being the hero and start supporting everyone. Good grief!!

Replied By: kcarp35 on Apr 2, 2014, 9:33AM - In reply to shayleemis
You are so right about this girl.  Who cares if her day was ruined.  I was thinking when you have a baby what if someone ruins your perfect birth plan.  Are you going to ask for a do over? 

Why are they putting so much emphasis on the wedding day?  Her step dad walked her down the aisle too and the real dad is MIA.  It seems to me that divorce is not a foreign concept to these people.  So why make such a big deal. 

Showing 1-10 of total 46 Comments