Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

On July 6, 2012, 16-year-old Skylar Neese was stabbed to death by her two best friends, Shelia Eddy and Rachel Shoaf. Six months later, Rachel confessed to police and led them to Skylar’s remains. Shelia continued to plead not guilty -- until January 2014, when she finally admitted her part in the brutal murder. Both teens claimed they killed Skylar because they “didn’t want to be friends with her anymore” -- but was that their real motive? And, who was the mastermind behind the plot? Dr. Phil sits down with Sklylar’s parents, Dave and Mary, who say they’re struggling to comprehend what happened to their little girl. How can they heal after such a horrific tragedy? And, how could Shelia -- who had been friends with Skylar since she was 8 -- and Rachel commit such a heinous crime? Hear from Shelia’s cousin, who says Shelia isn’t the monster people say she is. And, friends of Rachel’s family weigh in. Were there any red flags they say they missed? Then, a close friend of Shelia and Skylar claims she knows the real reason behind the murder. Does Skylar’s journal entry confirm her suspicions? (OAD: 3-10-14)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cbryns on Jun 18, 2014, 12:29AM
Admittedly I have not watched the Dr. Phil episode on this; only just seen the Dateline coverage.

How despicable. I CANNOT fathom what this poor girl would have felt or thought while her two friends brutally murdered her. I am 25, and only eight years ago I could not even imagine my best friends turning on me like that. Those girls, whose names don't even deserve a mention, are despicable, lame, sad excuses for human beings. How does one even get to the point of entertaining the idea of murdering someone they were so close to? Hopefully they rot in hell, and get demolished in prison. Sorry, normally I'm not an 'eye for an eye' type but this is just insane. Skylar was  beautiful girl with so much promise; could have had a career, a family, could have traveled the world, could have made a difference, and they selfishly took that from her and her family. Those girls deserve the absolute worst.

It begs the question though - who the hell raised them? What kind of parent doesnt discipline or instill a moral code in their children? This makes me sick. They should all be punished. Good riddance. 

Replied By: exliberal04 on Mar 19, 2014, 11:57AM
I am so sorry for your loss.  I want to thank you for being so brave and sharing your story with me and all of the other Dr Phil followers.

This story has opened my eyes to what really happens in this sick society.  Your story may one day save my daughter's life, because now I see that anything is possible. 

I hope you can manage your pain from your loss someday.  With sincere empathy I am thinking about you.

Replied By: dream28b on Mar 18, 2014, 8:41AM
It's sick these two girls decided to act out their relationship in front of Skylar and then punished her for it later. You decided to let her in on it, that's on you. They could have carried out their relationship and weather Skylar outted them or not, they should have owned it and sucked it up- they put it out there. I am so sorry these girls were selfish enough to only worry about themselves and took an innocent girl's life.

Replied By: nanamurphy1 on Mar 15, 2014, 3:36PM
i just got to watch the Dr phil show (thank goodness for DVR while we work). I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. I am a firm believer of forgiveness as in my life I have had to foregjve someone.  I only did it because I knew that I could not get through life or have the will to continue if I hadn't as it was too heavy a burdan for me alone.... God can and will take it from here.  I learned that foregiveness does not mean that we condone what that person/ people have done to us rather to release it from ourselves so we can move on. You will never forget what they have done to your family and how they robbed Skylar of her life and nobody says you should.  like dr Phil said be there for each other and be strong for each other, keep her memory alive maybe once you have foregiven and can move on maybe you could be there for other parents in this situation (Cause unfortunately this is happening in our world) ... im sure skylar would think that was awesome :) btw foregiveness does not mean you have to tell them to their face that you forgive them, that's between you and God!!!  I'm not good at expressing my thoughts but I hope this helps.

Replied By: nanamurphy1 on Mar 15, 2014, 3:17PM - In reply to bexbennett
I thought that at least  Rachel was sentenced to 30 years in prison?? that hardly seemes long enough but the fact that she is eligible for parole in 10 years is outrageous and angers me to no end. God bless skylers parents, I can't even come close to imagining what the are going through :(

Replied By: bexbennett on Mar 13, 2014, 11:11PM
I was revolted by these 2 disgusting sociopathic murderers. I felt sick to my stomach. 

What wonderful parents Skylar has and what a joy she was to them and they were to her.  I did wonder if jealousy paid a part in this as Skylar had such a beautiful loving relationship with her parents something the murderers seemed to want to experience after the murder. They should never EVER be allowed to walk free. Sadly it seems from the plea deal (which should never happen) they will be released and be able to have all the experiences that they have robbed from Skylar and her parents and wider family.  What they cannot take from this family is all those years of love and joy they experienced. 

Replied By: josie07843 on Mar 12, 2014, 2:39PM
I know what u r going though. It been 6 yrs since my daughter was killed she was 25 and left behind a baby, that I still am wonderful raising. It was Mother's Day when the police came to the door.  a little over a yr after my husband had pass.  I did'nt want to go on, it hurt deep inside so bad.  Then 2 yrs later my 23 yr old son died in his sleep. I found him. It's been 7 yrs since they all went to heaven. The pain doesn'. Go away, and you never forget. There are still days I want to hold them smell them laugh with them even just to hear there voice again. It is hard and there are days I do smile when thoughts come to me they did when they were around. The good times we shared dinners on Sundays. It does get a little Easyer. But those feeling  flood in my soul like a river, and out of no where I will ball my eyes out. I am so sorry you have to go though this, no parent should. My joy is my granddaughter, it's hard, because I am disable, but with Gods help We are making it, she went though all this too. So I stay strong for her, I fall apart when she is at school or with her big sister. There is nothing I can say to make you feel better, it's will happen on your time. Because there is no time to stop the pain you feel inside. Pray, go out for a walk, yoga, anything to get you though it, talk to you doctor. God bless and my praise are with you. P.S they still don't know who kill mine.

Replied By: aprilynnr on Mar 12, 2014, 7:45AM - In reply to jbrown6876
Sad that just because your sexuality is non-conformant you have to kill a person to silence them? Death is permanent, forever sex isn't it can be had anytime anywhere with any one male to male, male to female, female to female it is irrelavent. Life is relavent and one very young life was taken by two ignorant girls. Shame on them, more than shame I hope one day they realize what they have done.

Replied By: aprilynnr on Mar 12, 2014, 7:41AM - In reply to loyalalways
Dr. Phil, Mr and Mrs Neese, I watched the show on 3/10/2014 and came away with questions especially after hearing what Shania had to say. So I found Dayleen Berry's book on my Kindle and began to read it. I have not finished it yet but find it very interesting as I did Shania's explanations.  Thank you for sharing your story.

Losing a child is a parents' ultimate nightmare and sacrifice. Having not gone through it I can only imagine your pain and anguish. I have added you both to my prayers, praying you both can find some peace. God Bless you both and your supporters.

As for Shelia and Rachel....no amount of incarceration will help, they need professional help and I pray it isn't too late for it. I would really like an update from all of them in 20 years just to see if they have any remorse then because I sure don't see it in them now.  All I saw/see is arrogance and self-centeredness the 'you owe ME' something attitude. They need to get over themselves.

Thank you for this show, Dr Phil and staff. You guys rock!!! I love you and your show!

Aprilynn Rush

Replied By: dollmaker1027 on Mar 12, 2014, 6:22AM
I live in Star City and have watched in horror the unfolding of this horrific event.  I think about the Neese family daily, you are in my thoughts and prayers.  I am not a big Dr Phil fan but I was so moved by the gentleness and kindness with which this story was handled, thank you Dr Phil.

Showing 1-10 of total 96 Comments