Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

On July 6, 2012, 16-year-old Skylar Neese was stabbed to death by her two best friends, Shelia Eddy and Rachel Shoaf. Six months later, Rachel confessed to police and led them to Skylar’s remains. Shelia continued to plead not guilty -- until January 2014, when she finally admitted her part in the brutal murder. Both teens claimed they killed Skylar because they “didn’t want to be friends with her anymore” -- but was that their real motive? And, who was the mastermind behind the plot? Dr. Phil sits down with Sklylar’s parents, Dave and Mary, who say they’re struggling to comprehend what happened to their little girl. How can they heal after such a horrific tragedy? And, how could Shelia -- who had been friends with Skylar since she was 8 -- and Rachel commit such a heinous crime? Hear from Shelia’s cousin, who says Shelia isn’t the monster people say she is. And, friends of Rachel’s family weigh in. Were there any red flags they say they missed? Then, a close friend of Shelia and Skylar claims she knows the real reason behind the murder. Does Skylar’s journal entry confirm her suspicions? (OAD: 3-10-14)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: loyalalways on Jul 31, 2014, 1:17PM
My heart just aches for these parents. She was their only child. if someone did that to my child, I'm not sure I'd want to go on living. However, they say that God doesn't give you anymore than you can handle. What is with some people today? The next day these girls acted like nothing happened the night before. Talk about  ice cold!!! It finally caught up to Rachael, but, I don't think that Sheila has any remorse to this day.

Some people are trying to figure out who instigated everything. What difference does it make? They both stabbed her to death. They should never step foot out of prison again. They knew what they were doing. I also feel bad for the parents of these murderers. They must be devastated that their daughters could do somethking so heinous. I can't even imagine what they must be going through now.

This just proves that, even when you have good parents, bad things can still happen. I don't know about the parents of the 2 girls,, but it appears that Skylar's parents were very involved in her life.

Whenever I start to feel down or overloaded, I always remind myself that my kids and my grandkids are alive and healthy. It helps every time!! I count my blessings all the time for them.

Replied By: missmarjoleine on Jul 30, 2014, 7:33PM - In reply to jennirobin
i think your last lines are the point of the link made there..

i agree that there is nothing at all that these parends could have done differently or better than they have done, as far as we can tell from the information we have, they made a point of getting to know the girls, knowing the interaction, knowing the types of relationships, knowing the family of the girls etc.
that is as on top of things as you can get.
there is absolutely nothing that they could have done to prevent this or see this comming.

but i do think it can be a massive wake up call to parends out there who are taking the social lives of their kids and specifically teens, for granted.

if something as terrible like this, can happen to people who are very involved and on top of things... than imagine how easy a child can be preyed on  when there is no, little,  or less than complete,  awareness by parends.

i know there are parents out there thinking 'my teen needs to learn to stand on his/ her own two feet' or 'i dont wanna invade his/ her privacy' or 'i dont want then to hate me for being too on top of things'
that is a load of bull, a teen is still a child with a wanna-be-adult mindset and limited insight.
be their insight, be their boundries, be their rolemodel and their voice of reason.
in short. be a parent. do your job.

this family can truly say: we have done everything we could have possibly done to keep our child safe, protected, loved and secure... but she was viciously taken anyway by people who were damaged and vicious beyond belief, so therefore we couldnt have seen this comming, ever.
but we did everything we could have done for our child. 
and that knowledge, brings healing to some degree.
these parends have the peace of mind to know that they did a wonderfull job being parends in every way.

can you imagine  if this happened to a family who where not 'on top of it' and all they can say in the end is: if only we were more involved. if only we were more 'there for them' if only, if only, if only...

to the parents out there:
losing a child is terrible and heartbreaking enough as it is.
make sure you are doing your job as a parent as well as these wondefull people did.
no regrets.
only memories of love and life. 

Replied By: duckydes on Jul 30, 2014, 5:46PM - In reply to suzie60
I am so sorry for the horrible loss of your son

Replied By: duckydes on Jul 30, 2014, 5:44PM - In reply to josie07843
How awful you have had it!  I wish there was something I could say that would help, but unfortunately, I don't know what to say.  It is wonferful you are raising your grandchild.

Replied By: summersun23 on Jul 30, 2014, 5:33PM
My heart grieves for the parents of the victim

Replied By: duckydes on Jul 30, 2014, 5:31PM - In reply to dinkelbug
I am so sorry for the horrible loss of your sister

Replied By: duckydes on Jul 30, 2014, 5:27PM - In reply to cathaleen50
I am so sorry for the horrible loss of your son

Replied By: duckydes on Jul 30, 2014, 5:24PM - In reply to oneforjesus
oGood point, best friends don't kill each other

Replied By: jennirobin on Jul 30, 2014, 5:11PM
I don't see where that was an issue in this case. Not only were the girls friends for a long time and knew each other well, the parents knew her friends as well as any parents could. Even the neighbors knew these girls well. In this case I believe all the adults involved did their jobs as parents and roll models being involved in the teenage girls lives. This is the mystery of teenagers, they're unpredictable and completely open while also being complete strangers. Yes, I agree know whom your children spend their time with and families. However, in this story no adults could have possibly known when all three girls involved were beautiful fun loving, funny and playful.  How could anyone have predicted such behavior.  The real thing parents should take from this is anything with anyone could happen.  So reach out to your teens about no matter how annoying,  supervision and/or constant caution is advised.

Replied By: dvinematrix4u on Jul 30, 2014, 4:53PM
   This is why parent need to stay involved in their children's live regardless of how old they get, especially in thier teens. 

Thiers a dad right now who posted about Banning "Play dates." the purpose of play dates is to get to know who your neighbors are and get to know their kids.  Yet, their so much interference now with all this technology, people don't realize that this is the devil new way to get to your child. We use to say "don't take candy from strangers"  well, people the candy has changed it appearance......and the stranger now lives in a virtual world.  Before technology you could see the stranger coming at your child, now you can't see the terrible and sneaky things he is doing to their mind and bodies.....

RIP Skylar Reese....

Showing 1-10 of total 124 Comments