Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

On July 6, 2012, 16-year-old Skylar Neese was stabbed to death by her two best friends, Shelia Eddy and Rachel Shoaf. Six months later, Rachel confessed to police and led them to Skylar’s remains. Shelia continued to plead not guilty -- until January 2014, when she finally admitted her part in the brutal murder. Both teens claimed they killed Skylar because they “didn’t want to be friends with her anymore” -- but was that their real motive? And, who was the mastermind behind the plot? Dr. Phil sits down with Sklylar’s parents, Dave and Mary, who say they’re struggling to comprehend what happened to their little girl. How can they heal after such a horrific tragedy? And, how could Shelia -- who had been friends with Skylar since she was 8 -- and Rachel commit such a heinous crime? Hear from Shelia’s cousin, who says Shelia isn’t the monster people say she is. And, friends of Rachel’s family weigh in. Were there any red flags they say they missed? Then, a close friend of Shelia and Skylar claims she knows the real reason behind the murder. Does Skylar’s journal entry confirm her suspicions? (OAD: 3-10-14)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: oceanentity on Aug 28, 2014, 9:27AM
This story comes into my thoughts alot , that poor child , what she endured is absolutely unimaginable. The lengths the girls who were supposed to be her friends went to in order to torture and injure her in the most horrific way are still etched in my mind ( as told by this girls own mother ) . there can never be any excuses from these girls as they grow , who does what they did ? how can those actions be explained away ? i mean bullying is bad enough but this ? I feel so much for the parents of this young girl , i can not imagine what their every day lives are like and goiung to be like for the rest of their lives. That girl should not have been granted release and the other one being released early ? why ..whats wrong with the justice system ? . i hope skyler can rest in peace and that her family can learn to find some peace in their hearts to cope with the rest of their lives.  I really dont feel after hearing and knowing what these girls did to Skyler that they will ever feel real deep felt remorse.

Replied By: nzder110 on Aug 13, 2014, 10:12PM
Firstly this was a terribly sad show, and I feel so sad for Skylar and her parents.  She looked like a beautiful child, who really lit up her parents life.  Secondly the show was scarey.  We really do want monsters (or in this case I can think of no other explanation than psychopaths) to show some signs of their inner nature at SOME point in their lives.  For the rest of us to have some warning, some details that sets off the warning signs and makes us think - wow I don't know what it is, but I'll keep my distance from that person.  But this show seemed to say - no - no warnings.  Sweet little innocents - then bam - psychopaths.  I don't get it, what are we missing?

Replied By: toxicity7 on Aug 7, 2014, 8:10AM
such a sad story. These girls definitely displayed an absolute lack of respect for human life. There is never a reason to take a human life but on top of that their motive seemed so ridiculous. What an incredible tragedy. After I watched this show. I went to youtube and watched the verdict for both girls. Atleast these girls will pay the consequence for what they did. I don't know how the cousin of one of the girls could go on there and try to say that it was probably the other girl's fault. Trying to minimize the blame for her cousin. You shouldn't make excuses like that wether it's your blood or not. Both these girls were heartless for what they did. Both were equally to blame.

Replied By: ckillen on Aug 3, 2014, 1:13AM - In reply to alwaysaskeptic
I really agree with you. the punishments and the crimes do not fit. the fact that these girls will likely be out in time to enjoy the rest of their lives, while someone who does something, although terrible, was not life threatening...is serving multiple life sentences. It makes no sense.

Replied By: voiceincrowd on Aug 1, 2014, 1:36AM - In reply to ssino1
I was sewing today while this show aired on TV.  I heard majority of the data and this tragic killing was so disturbing to me I cannot even sleep now.  I hope the 2 girls are confined for life, but in solitary confinement - not where they can be around others. 

As for the viewer that was upset and stated a bigger issue of tolerance should have been expressed... Humans are by nature designed to be sexual male/female not male/male or female/female for reproduction.  So homosexuality is not in the "normal" range of sexual function.  Biologically, there have been defects occur in DNA during developement which create the condition of hermaphrodites, and in my opinion, people who are not heterosexualy solid-  Meaning anyone who prefers sexual attraction to same sex or bisexual.

In todays world the issue has become a forced tolerance where people who object to this behavior are forced to remain silent and put up with it in TV, books, movies, public, just about anywhere that it is now coming up. 

Skylar had an entry in her journal about this set of girls being drunk and lesbian as well as some audio tapes.  So there is nothing alledged about it, but my guess is they either did not want to be exposed for what they did, or they knew they were going to do it and try to involve Skylar and she was not going to be a party to it.  My opinion is that these girls were very wrong.  And the actions they took as a result do not speak well for the tolerance argument you raised. 

It is more than sad for the parents of all the girls to have to live with this event and face what the killers are.  So young and so brutal a crime.  I cannot fathom such brutality and feel sick to have seen it on TV.

Replied By: loyalalways on Jul 31, 2014, 1:17PM
My heart just aches for these parents. She was their only child. if someone did that to my child, I'm not sure I'd want to go on living. However, they say that God doesn't give you anymore than you can handle. What is with some people today? The next day these girls acted like nothing happened the night before. Talk about  ice cold!!! It finally caught up to Rachael, but, I don't think that Sheila has any remorse to this day.

Some people are trying to figure out who instigated everything. What difference does it make? They both stabbed her to death. They should never step foot out of prison again. They knew what they were doing. I also feel bad for the parents of these murderers. They must be devastated that their daughters could do somethking so heinous. I can't even imagine what they must be going through now.

This just proves that, even when you have good parents, bad things can still happen. I don't know about the parents of the 2 girls,, but it appears that Skylar's parents were very involved in her life.

Whenever I start to feel down or overloaded, I always remind myself that my kids and my grandkids are alive and healthy. It helps every time!! I count my blessings all the time for them.

Replied By: missmarjoleine on Jul 30, 2014, 7:33PM - In reply to jennirobin
i think your last lines are the point of the link made there..

i agree that there is nothing at all that these parends could have done differently or better than they have done, as far as we can tell from the information we have, they made a point of getting to know the girls, knowing the interaction, knowing the types of relationships, knowing the family of the girls etc.
that is as on top of things as you can get.
there is absolutely nothing that they could have done to prevent this or see this comming.

but i do think it can be a massive wake up call to parends out there who are taking the social lives of their kids and specifically teens, for granted.

if something as terrible like this, can happen to people who are very involved and on top of things... than imagine how easy a child can be preyed on  when there is no, little,  or less than complete,  awareness by parends.

i know there are parents out there thinking 'my teen needs to learn to stand on his/ her own two feet' or 'i dont wanna invade his/ her privacy' or 'i dont want then to hate me for being too on top of things'
that is a load of bull, a teen is still a child with a wanna-be-adult mindset and limited insight.
be their insight, be their boundries, be their rolemodel and their voice of reason.
in short. be a parent. do your job.

this family can truly say: we have done everything we could have possibly done to keep our child safe, protected, loved and secure... but she was viciously taken anyway by people who were damaged and vicious beyond belief, so therefore we couldnt have seen this comming, ever.
but we did everything we could have done for our child. 
and that knowledge, brings healing to some degree.
these parends have the peace of mind to know that they did a wonderfull job being parends in every way.

can you imagine  if this happened to a family who where not 'on top of it' and all they can say in the end is: if only we were more involved. if only we were more 'there for them' if only, if only, if only...

to the parents out there:
losing a child is terrible and heartbreaking enough as it is.
make sure you are doing your job as a parent as well as these wondefull people did.
no regrets.
only memories of love and life. 

Replied By: duckydes on Jul 30, 2014, 5:46PM - In reply to suzie60
I am so sorry for the horrible loss of your son

Replied By: duckydes on Jul 30, 2014, 5:44PM - In reply to josie07843
How awful you have had it!  I wish there was something I could say that would help, but unfortunately, I don't know what to say.  It is wonferful you are raising your grandchild.

Replied By: summersun23 on Jul 30, 2014, 5:33PM
My heart grieves for the parents of the victim

Showing 1-10 of total 129 Comments