Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Twenty-one-year-old Corey was only 10 when he walked into his sleeping father’s room and killed him with a single gunshot to the head. He claims he was manipulated into committing the unthinkable act by his stepmother, Judith, after allegedly suffering years of horrific mental and physical abuse at her hands. Corey says he told police the shooting was accidental -- and kept the secret for nine years, before finally confiding in teachers. Judith is now serving a life sentence for aggravated murder, child endangerment and insurance fraud. However, Corey says there’s another person he blames for his father’s death -- his birth mother, Wendy, who signed away her parental rights when he was 8. Did she put Corey in harm’s way? Wendy insists that she thought she was giving Corey a stable home -- and had no idea about the abuse he says he suffered. But were there warning signs she may have missed? Can Dr. Phil help this mother and son heal the wounds of the past and rebuild their relationship? Plus, Michelle says her sister, Tashena’s, phone call to Child Protective Services caused her to lose custody of her 6-month-old daughter, who has special medical needs. Tashena denies contacting CPS -- and says Michelle’s irresponsible parenting, including missing several doctor’s appointments, is to blame. Is Michelle really ready to be a mother? What does Dr. Phil say she must do if she wants her daughter back?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: geniedolly on Mar 15, 2014, 6:14AM
This show seems worse and worse. How do you let this kid blame his mother without correcting him? For raitings? His mother made a mistake but it didn't force his Step mother to abuse him or to kill his father. WTH is wrong with Dr. Phil?

Replied By: voltaicbelle on Mar 14, 2014, 1:16PM
Dr. Phil should not let Cory blame his mother for the abuse he suffered at the hands of his step mother.  It's not his mother's fault the step mother abused him.  She thought she was doing the right thing by handing him over to his father - I've seen what a contentious divorce can do to a child - watching their parents and step parents fight with each other is just as abusive as a focal abuse on one child.  The mother thought she was protecting her son from the abuse of watching his parents/step parents fight in front of him.  

Without the financial resources to fight for custody and the knowledge of her rights and what she was actually giving up when she did it, she made the best decision based on the information and financial resources she had at the time.  There is no crystal ball she could've used to foresee the abuse her child would have.  She should have been able to trust that her son would be in good hands with his father and step mother.  Unless she had any knowledge of the abuse before she gave up her rights, then she should hold ZERO blame for what happened.

Cory's anger should be solely focused on his abuser - His mother had no knowledge of what was truly going on with her son - Giving up rights does not mean giving up on a child, nor does it mean one doesn't love their child - in fact, in some cases a child giving up rights can mean they are doing what they think is best for that child, given the information they have at the time. 

Unless Cory has valid proof that his mother had knowledge of the abuse, I am not sure how he can blame his mother for anything that happened.  In fact, his father lived in the same home the abuse was happening in, so his father actually holds more blame for the abuse than his mother.  

A person who brings an abuser into the home with their child, lives and sleeps with the child's abuser holds blame - not a person who gives a child to a home thought to be safe and who no longer lived in the same home or even communicated with the child or the child's care-takers.

While I can see where Cory's anger for his mom comes from, I believe it's misguided.  Cory should be working on a relationship with his mother to see if she truly does love him the way she says she loved him enough to give him up to protect him from the fighting.  He should cautiously open his heart to her - and see if they can form something he badly needs.  He needs to feel that unconditional love from a mother - if he opens his heart and mind, he just might find it with his mom.

Oh - and btw - he doesn't have to tell his children that he shot his father until they are old enough to understand.  He just has to say that he died - his children will ask questions as they have them and he can answer them with "What do you mean?" - to find out what they are really asking.  If a child asks "How did he die?" - They might just be asking how old he was when he died - or where.  You could even say he "got an owie on his head" - There are all kinds of truths you can tell a child to break them into awful news as they are ready and mature enough to hear it.  Talk to a chid pschiatrist/psychologist about ways of doing that.

(((HUGS))) to all involved....and, speaking to Cory as a step mother who loves my bonus kids as I love my bio kids, I am sorry that your step mother hurt you.  You didn't deserve that and you should know that I don't know you, but I love you and I know, in time, your past will become easier to understand and cope with.  

Replied By: KateBauer on Mar 13, 2014, 10:19PM
I am so sorry you were so abused by your horrid step-mother and forced to kill your father.  Your childhood was taken away from you and I know you are angy at your mom.  Please give her a chance you need her now.  I am certain she was young, did not have many resources, and really regrets giving you away to that monster.  I hope you forgive yourself and your mom, get the right help to deal with this and have a happy life.  

Replied By: golfgal4 on Mar 13, 2014, 3:41PM
My questions to the son....

Why did your "dad" encourage this choice on your mom's part? 

A GREAT dad would not!  There is more to the story than being told.

He took you away froom your mom and you can be upset but she is also a victim. 

Fighting an abuser for custody of my children who thought another woman was better and at times I have wanted to let my children live free of this drama I understand but I have not.

Look back because I am certain your "dad" wasn't perfect!

I

Replied By: suzannesrs on Mar 10, 2014, 9:36PM
 There is one thing that has gone unsaid throughout this - we have been told boys need their fathers to learn how to become men.

She could see the damage being done to her son by him being put in the middle.

She was most likely living in poverty.

I think as Corey matures, actually I pray Corey realizes as he ages he will find the person he needs to blame the most is FIRST HIS STEP MOTHER and then his father. HIS FATHER WAS THE ONE THERE, HIS FATHER WAS THE ONE WHO SAW WHAT WAS GOING ON AND DID NOT PROTECT HIM. If he had not had to kill his father he would know this. HE NEEDS TO RECOGNIZE WHERE THE EVIL ORIGINATED FROM.

How many parents have given up their children thinking it is in the childs best interest AND IT WAS THE BEST FOR THE CHILD.

How could anyone forsee what was going to happen? How could anyone see how evil that damn step-mother was?

Corey needs lots of help and lots of prayer, as does his mother.

Replied By: jmrandell on Mar 10, 2014, 6:46PM - In reply to staytuned
Agree with your comment. Where was the father when this abuse was taking place???

Replied By: nyknicks on Mar 8, 2014, 9:41PM
hating the Mom not going to solve anything. he needs to hate strp mom

Replied By: birger on Mar 7, 2014, 8:55PM
Boy, these two stories were very complex and I wish each one was given a full show to discuss.  Both seemed rushed and I'm sure Dr. Phil could have gone much deeper with each.  

Corey, I hope and I pray that you are able to find peace within yourself and forgiveness for your mom.  I think one of the smartest things that I've heard in a long time is when Dr. Phil told you that it is about the intention behind the action.  

Michelle, it is obvious that you love your daughter.  I hope that you are able to show it in actions, rather than words and tears.  Do whatever you need to do to get your daughter back and give her a wonderful life.  Your baby needs you.  Good luck and give it your all.  

Replied By: staytuned on Mar 7, 2014, 8:10PM - In reply to drroberts
My husband has fought legal and emotional battles for over a decade.  We've almost had to file for bancuptcy and still had the children be so alientated by their mother that it seemed all for naught.  I could see how being a single parent, a young single parent and feeling that defeated.   The biomom didn't just seem sorry to me, but truly ashamed for giving her son up.  I hope the two of them can find a way to be a family again. 

As Dr. P said, the stepmom is really the one who is to blame but I blame the dad some too.  If anyone, anyone, ANYONE, was abusing my kid, they would see a mother's rage in a big way.  I struggle to understand how he just stood by and let that happen.   He didn't protect his child and in the end, it tragically came back on him.

I do feel really bad for the son.  The pictures of him when he was young were so stinkin' cute.  How anyone could be mean to that face, I'll never know.   I hope he is able to resolve his anger and move forward into a much better life.

Replied By: stargazer225 on Mar 7, 2014, 7:15PM
This kid needs to get over that his mother couldn't save him.  I'm sorry he went through the abuse, but the mother was young and thought she was doing the best thing.  Hindsight it 20/20.  And if she cheated, no doubt the father wanted to hurt her by getting their son and replacing her.  I think this kid is an adult now, and while he's had a horrific childhood, he needs to find forgiveness in his heart or the stepmom continues to rule him.

Showing 1-10 of total 168 Comments