Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

If you knew a dark secret about a friend’s past, would you tell his or her significant other? In 2004, 47-year-old Carl “Charlie” Brandt murdered his wife, Teri, and her niece, Michelle, before hanging himself. But what most of his friends and family didn’t know at the time was that Brandt had killed before. When Brandt was 13, he shot and killed his pregnant mother, shot his father -- who survived -- and attempted to shoot his sister, Angela, who escaped. Brandt was not charged but was placed in a psychiatric facility. After he was released one year later, his family packed up and moved out of state, where no one knew about his past. Members of Teri and Michelle’s family join Dr. Phil in search of answers. Who knew about Brandt’s history, and why didn’t they come forward? Brandt’s ex-brother-in-law, Jim, joins the conversation and admits he knew about Brandt's dark past when he introduced him to Teri. Why does he say he kept the secret from her? And, what red flags does he admit he missed? Plus, authorities say unsolved murders may be connected to Brandt. Was he a serial killer all along? Then, in 2013, the body of missing 18-month-old Elaina was found in a box in a garage. Her mother, Angela Steinfurth, and Angela’s then-boyfriend, Steven King, were convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison with eligibility of parole in 18 and 25 years, respectively. What do they claim caused baby Elaina’s death? Angela’s half-sister, Mary, and Elaina’s father, Terry, say they are struggling to come to terms with the tragedy. How can the family move forward after such a devastating loss?

Read more about Michelle Lynn's Law in Bill and Mary Lou's blog.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cwayneu on Oct 13, 2014, 10:24PM
This guy did not steal a hubcap, or bully school kids. He murdered and attempted to murder on multiple people, whom he should have had a bond and love for. And was only slapped on the hand by a judge that obviously had no psycology training. This kid was a ticking time bomb. As someone before said, what friend introduces a friend to a killer, without warning.

That 78% audience that day must have been on drugs.

Replied By: grandmafrances on Jun 15, 2014, 10:22PM
I want to post a response to the show that is currently airing in Australia - Charlie Brandt.  My daughter married a narcisistic man, thank God not to this level of violence, that no one warned her of.  She asked the questions of those who should have known his past and was told nothing.  It was not until she was in Family Law Court that subpoenaed documents revealed his violence towards his first wife in another state, his mistreatment of another woman's children and his gang affiliations (again in another state).  Had even one of things been revealed instead of covering them up she would not have even dated him and certainly would not have married and had two children by him.  These children are precious and much loved by my daughter and other members of the family but constantly abused by their father during thier visits to his home.  This too is being covered up as the children are groomed to deny all events to authorities.  Please, please tell and give a person the chance to make informed decisions.  True friendship will survive the short term unpleasantness and you could be the one to save another's misery.

Replied By: gatorman1 on Jun 12, 2014, 2:56PM - In reply to mottlie5
To Mottlie and Fenawaypark: I tink you should go back and rewatch the show (video). No one said it was Jim's fault, but didn't understand why he or his ex (Charlie's sister) wouldn't have told Teri.  Jim wasn't blamed, but you would think that being Charli's best friend, and married to his sister, he would feel that knowledge and truth of what she was getting into we be best for all. Charlie's records of his past were expunged, so how else was she to know? I hope that you never have to face the time to heal after something like this, like you referred to Michelle's parents and Teri's sister's.

Replied By: gatorman1 on Jun 12, 2014, 2:34PM - In reply to fenwaypark9
I think if you go back and read the peoposed law, you will find that perhaps you misread it. No one lumped all crimes together.

Replied By: gatorman1 on Jun 12, 2014, 1:37PM - In reply to cheriebengal
Thank you for your comment. I think that an awful lot of people were stunned by the hands that went up signifying that they would not tell. It really shocked me, but when Dr Phil asked that they hold that thought and pay close attention to the show, I knew in my heart that most would change their minds later when asked again. People really have to think about the consequences of keeping secret's, as Charlie's family did, as they can be devastating in the future. 

Replied By: gatorman1 on Jun 12, 2014, 1:27PM - In reply to michellesays
Blaming Jim was not our intent, bit it would have been easy for him to verify by asking his best friend's wife, Teri, how she felt about Charlie after hearing about his past. I think that would have not only verified that Charlie had told her, but it would have also reflected some concern for Teri's safety. Knowing Teri as we did, we don't believe she would have ever married him, or stayed with him, had she known.

Replied By: gatorman1 on Jun 12, 2014, 1:15PM - In reply to michellesays
Blame is not what we felt we shared, bu it would have been proper for Jim to ask Teri, his best friend's wife how she felt about Charlie after hearing what he had done.

Replied By: michellesays on Apr 20, 2014, 7:17PM - In reply to freetosmile
I agree.  I think Jim did what he thought was right.  He asked Charlie to tell, and he said he did.  How was he to know??  I think blaming him is wrong.

Replied By: KateBauer on Apr 16, 2014, 9:44PM
His history should have followed him and people should have been warned about it.  I am not blaiming anyone but it should have been made public knowledge or he should have had a warning label tattooed on his forehead.

Replied By: tomoreaukim on Apr 9, 2014, 3:31PM
The show about Charlie Brant & whether or not to reveal a secret like that brought up thoughts on my own upbringing & brother.  My younger brother set a fire at 3 with my parents in the next room.  Thankfully, no one was hurt but we lost everything.  He said he was just playing with a lighter & it got away from him.  Then when he was 11 or 12 he tried to set another one but by then fire-retardent furniture & carpets were available (& we had them) so the fire didn't take.  I found the evidence of the burnt carpet & told my parents.  He was taken away to live in specialized homes but when asked why he set the fire he said it was to kill me.  He never lived with us again & became a ward of the province.  I also recall him being diagnosed as a sociopath & always knew he wasn't "normal".  As adults he doesn't know where i live & we are never in contact anymore but i often wonder how he is or if anyone has been hurt by him or because of him.  When we were in contact it was never discussed & really just brushed over our whole teenage lives.  I now find this confusing.  Did i ever owe it to any of the girls he dated or was it just something a young messed up kid did or said? 

He doesn't know where i live for more than just that one incident but the worry is always there if i hear of a fire or arson. 

i feel safe but what if anything do i owe anyone in his life now?  Sadly this show brought out how odd this all is in everyone elses life but really normal in mine.  Not to compare to this horrible tradegy other than it does make me think what would i have done???

Showing 1-10 of total 109 Comments