Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Twenty-three-year-old Mercedes says her 38-year-old mother, Sueann, has been partying and drinking several days a week for the past 18 years -- forcing Mercedes to become a mother figure to her four younger siblings. Mercedes says when she was a child, her mother often returned home intoxicated and initiated arguments -- if she came home at all -- and even took her to a bar when she was 15. Mercedes says despite an alcohol-related arrest and a mandatory rehab stint, her mother continues to drink excessively, and she’s at her wits’ end. Sueann admits she goes out partying every week and sometimes drinks until she blacks out, but she insists she has always been a good mother. So, how does she explain losing custody of her 13-year-old son? Plus, hear from Sueann’s 15-year-old daughter, Destiny, who got pregnant at just 12 years old. Why does she say she blames her mother? Can Dr. Phil help Sueann realize the damage her choices are causing her family? And, is Sueann willing to stop the drinking and partying -- and be a mom? (OAD: 3-5-14)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cudee58 on Jul 30, 2014, 2:39PM - In reply to busielady
I imagine the results are not very good, thats why we dont see much follow up, just like with all the other programs out there, the results are not promising

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Jul 30, 2014, 2:23PM - In reply to bmives
I've mentioned before that almost all the out-of-control teens Dr. Phil invites to his stage seem to be girls, with a sense of entitlement to party and have "fun" for the rest of their lives. This poster has a couple of daughters with the same attitude. What can account for this? I'm certain that feminists are horrified that the progress made over decades is trivialized by the new generation of irresponsible, promiscuous drunks and stoners.

Replied By: toniolley87 on Jul 30, 2014, 11:18AM - In reply to yesgirlrox
You mean self righteous. No I just know what I want for my children. I dont see where wanting the best for my children is self righteous. Care to elaborate?

Replied By: toniolley87 on Jul 30, 2014, 11:15AM - In reply to yesgirlrox
I am not selfish thank you! Not like that anyway. My kids come first.

Replied By: bmives on Jul 30, 2014, 8:53AM
I am the mother of two girls, 12 & 15. Dad is the party parent and our girls adore him for it. They have shunned me and only want their Dad and his life. This show made me furious.

Replied By: upsydasy on Jul 30, 2014, 8:31AM - In reply to lsummers333
I mean c’mon!  All of these shows are cautionary tales.  Patting Sueann on the back and saying there there isn’t going to accomplish a thing, let alone teach her and the audience the error of her ways.  Many forms of birth control have been around for a very long time.  How many children linger in shelters and group homes because their parents can’t or won’t get their act together.  If a woman chooses to party and drink to access, she also chooses the consequences of her actions.   Having 5 children from different men is a recipe for disaster, which is entirely her fault.  By all means go after the fathers who probably had a one night stand with a drunken woman they barely remember and force them to pay child support.  Good luck with that.  You’re right, that’ll fix everything.

Replied By: twholmes on Jul 29, 2014, 11:13PM
You are probably ahead of me, but I was surprised that you didn't offer to help Mercedes get some help furthering her education.

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Jul 29, 2014, 10:38PM - In reply to kittyhawkkat
In 20 years, if she keeps up her current behaviour, Sueann won't even remember that she has kids.

Replied By: jennef on Jul 29, 2014, 10:26PM - In reply to tigerangel36
She is alcoholic. The only way to go is abstinence, not a beer or two now & then. In a matter of days ,she'd be back to full time drinking again.

She is not responsible for being alcoholic but she is DEFINITELY reponsible for her recovery.

It is also very important that she achieve sobriety in order to free  HERSELF.

I'm surprised Dr. Phil didn't emphasize that.

Replied By: ohmylife on Jul 29, 2014, 9:01PM - In reply to jackie0998
As the only sister to five younger brothers you are WRONG about the daughter wanting a gold medal or something. Unless you have walked in the same shoes you have no idea what she has been through and dealt with and you have no right to raise her mother up in order to put her down. We lost our mother to mental illness approx. six years before she took her life. That was forty two years ago. At age 10 or so she (my mother), abandoned her duties to me slowly at first yet quickly the pace picked up to where when she died I carried all the "motherly duties", childcare, house keeping, laundry, shopping,cooking, appointments, etc. while our father worked to build his business,and support us and the lifestyle we enjoyed.I was fifteen years old! I didn't even have a drivers license, I wasn't sixteen, yet with my dads permission I drove to grocery shop, make it to dr.'s appts, all the day time errands a mother would do. My childhood was affected so traumaticly I am still realing from it all and now starting to understand all the negative affects it caused me in my life. We don't want a medal, we just want the madness to stop, before more damage is done. Her mother needs help, her partying is medicating her pain, not removing the source of it.

Showing 1-10 of total 192 Comments