Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Eric says his two-year marriage to his now-estranged wife, Melissa, has been like “living a nightmare.” He claims Melissa has grown so violent during their fights that the police have been called to their home at least eight times. He also says she once hit him with his car -- an incident he caught on video. Melissa completely disagrees and says Eric is to blame and needs to take responsibility for his actions. She claims he has raped, kidnapped and abused her -- which he vehemently denies. When it comes time to sit down with Dr. Phil, why is she a no-show? Then, hear from Eric’s 20-year-old son, Nico -- whom does he blame for the turmoil? When Dr. Phil sorts through the allegations against Eric, including six restraining orders from past relationships, will Eric take ownership of the situation? And, can this marriage be saved? (OAD: 3-4-14)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: mustanggtcs on Aug 20, 2014, 8:10PM
My buddy saw this episode and told me I needed to see it. I was able to find the whole episode on You Tube. I was with a woman that was almost a mirror image to this woman. I actually believe in some ways she was worse. She would do the same things to me such as steal my keys, phone, wallet, shoes, or jump on the hood of my car when I was trying to get away from her lunacy. If I was fortunate enough to actually get away from her, she would get in her car and follow me for hours. I would just drive so I would have to deal with her abuse. She was relentless when it came to getting what she wanted. She had hit, kicked or choked me probably 40-50 times within a 10 month span of living with her. She had no problem hitting me because she knew I wouldn't hit her back. I couldn't even finish the 12 month lease on the house we rented together before I moved out. Living with her was an absolute nightmare. I wouldn't have to be doing anything to set her off. I could be just sitting on the couch. If she wasn't getting the attention she wanted, there was going to be big trouble for me and it could last for days. You just never knew when it was going to happen. I called the police on her one night after I moved out because of her coming over and stalking me and when the police got to my house, she turned on the charm and lied her butt off making false allegations against me. I ended up spending the night in jail when I hadn't done anything wrong. She always told me she could lie her way out of anything, she proved it that night. Fortunately, I wasn't charged with anything because there wasn't any evidence to the lies she told the police. She tells people that she has a PPO on me, but I have never been served with any papers. She stalks me and still tries to get me back. Even though Eric and I seem to have come from very different upbringings and have very different relationships with family and friends, it seems like it doesnt matter who you are when it comes to dealing with people with issues like this. You can be a saint or a sinner. Either way you are going to pay. It has been two months since I left her. Besides the relief of not having to deal with her mental issues everyday, I can still feel the damage that was done to me. I feel like I have had the life sucked out of me. I am still living in constant fear of what she is going to do next. I am not accustomed to having issues with the law, so the anxiety of what she can do causes me a lot of stress. I just want her to move on, get her claws into somebody else and leave me alone.

Eric, I highly doubt you will ever see this, but in case you do, I just want you to know that I understand 100% of what you have been through. No matter how much  you love your wife, you need to get out.

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Aug 15, 2014, 6:27PM - In reply to lisarn09
You don't know why Dr. Phil dumped all over Eric? Just watch a few shows and you'll see the pattern...men are abusive brutes who should have been aware of their problems decades ago, and fixed them single-handedly whereas the women on his show are coddled, forgiven their outrageous behaviour and told that it's not their fault at all, just blame it on some man in their past or present.

Replied By: another2cents on Aug 14, 2014, 9:35AM

Something that people with borderline personality often do is begin a smear campaign to turn everyone, including people in your own family against you, by spreading lies about you, often in very indiscreet ways. When you already come from a dysfunctional family, I imagine it is even easier to accomplish this.

Most people with personality disorders deny they have a problem and refuse to seek treatment which explains why she wouldn’t show up.

The fact that Melissa produces genuine tears doesn’t necessarily mean she is crying about the abuse. She may be crying because she realizes that she cannot manipulate her way out of it or has been found out. 

I’m not saying he is innocent but he did accept help while Melissa ran away. The fact that Dr. Phil asks him what his role is, doesn’t make him horrible or guilty of what Melissa accuses him, although he does play a role in the dysfunctionality of that relationship. Sometimes you play a role in a bad situation because you have no boundaries and the situation goes from bad to worse. If either one of them was emotionally healthy, neither would have let the situation escalate to this point.

Replied By: loyalalways on Aug 14, 2014, 12:32AM - In reply to latahcreek
I agree with you on all points. This man has absolutely NO insight. He has 30 people in his family and NONE of them have anything to do with him. He's had 6 restraining orders against him. You don't give out restraining orders to innocent men or women. As far as this guy is concerned, EVERYONE in his life is at fault for their bad relationship with him. He does nothing wrong. He's just the victim in all cases!!

Unfortunately, the fact that Melissa didn't show up to the show makes it bad for her because we only get to hear one side. What really made me question him, though, was the fact that he would accept NO responsibility. It was all HER fault. I'm wondering if she didn't show because she thought he'd manipulate Dr. Phil into believing everything was all HER fault. He certainly tried, but Dr. Phil is too smart for that. I do agree, however, that some of her behaviour was off the wall. We don't know what all went on in their home. We certainly wouldn't find out anything truthful from him.

This woman was abused as a child. That changes a person. I don't believe everything she said about him, but I do believe that he abused her. Her tears were real. She was genuinelly distraught. i think she's a very mixed up woman from all he abuse she's received over the years. He, too was abused, so I don't t hink that he even knows that some of the things he's doing is abusive. They BOTH need help and I hope that Dr. Phil will find it in his heart to also help Melissa.

I have worked professionally with domestic violence for over 26 years (working to reconcile families) and have had friends close to me whom I saw abused. This man was a slick liar--I was tense as I watched wondering if Dr. Phil would be sucked in. He wasn't!  I have witnessed men abusing women, and then have listened and watched them both in courtrooms and social settings as they so glibly and so believably portray themselves as innocent and the woman as crazy.  This man has had 6 restraining orders against him.  Courts do not readily grant ROs because that it a record that is never erased.  I agree, the woman's behavior seemed bizarre (e.g. running away from the appearance on Dr. Phil's show)--very typical of a a frightened, abused woman.  Both the experience of abuse and spousal rape, as well as dealing with a manipulative, convincing liar cause woman to react in ways that most  people do not understand . Dr. Phil stated several times that he checks out "collateral" sources.  It was well evident that he had investigated both sides of the story.  I appreciate his wisdom and discernment with this man as well as the woman.  Right on, Dr. Phil!

Replied By: miami2426 on Aug 13, 2014, 11:52PM - In reply to eric_2014
You are such a liar!

Replied By: numericmama on Aug 13, 2014, 11:05PM - In reply to princessre
Clearly. She was so amazingly good at acting - but wouldn't actually put herself in front of Dr. Phil.

Hopefully Dr. Phill will get him the help he needs so that he can get a divorce and be healthy.

She may bleed him dry financially though.

Replied By: nzder110 on Aug 13, 2014, 9:58PM
I can understand why Eric is upset and worried by the allegations his ex wife has made against him, because they are very serious, horrible allegations.  However, as I watched Dr Phil's show I really didn't believe them to be true at all.  I felt his ex wife had some serious problems, and that for some reason he kept attracting drama to his life, rather than that he was a bad person.  I think the idea to video tape what was going on helped us to see more clearly what Eric was dealing with.  I hope that some of the feedback from the show releaves some anxiety he may have over what people think when allegations are made.  Most people are able to look for the facts in a situation, and realise that sometimes people simply lie.  The worst kind of lie is a believable one.  I think Dr Phil's advise to him about trying to gain some insight into why he kept attracting this kind of drama was very good.  I hope that he and his son can move on, and make a better happier life for themselves.  Maybe a period of being single would bring some much needed peace and clarity.

Replied By: princessre on Aug 13, 2014, 8:16PM
...it's a re-run....but I had to stop watching it.

This woman is soooooo Borderline it's not even funny. Dr. Phil coulda killed all of this with a lie-detector on both of them on the same day. Done and Done. 

I'm so hurt Dr. Phil. This could have been a serious interventions. That woman needs therapy, meds, and a prayer....

Replied By: dani1016 on Aug 13, 2014, 6:52PM
Melissa looks like a fake from the word GO!!! And she can't show up for the show cuz she'll be disclosed as a liar!  Her husband should kick her to the curb!!! Oh and when you have  pancrietitis that's from DRINKING!!! Hope she gets some help!!

Replied By: lalablue22 on Aug 13, 2014, 6:11PM - In reply to eric_2014
I really felt for you. I myself have been raised in fostercare due to abuse. I always seemed to find partners that ended up being abusive to me either physical or verbal. It was what I knew...I didn't know anything else. I as well do not speak to any of my family. I want to but know all the hurt and pain will start all over again. I know that you have attracted these relationships due to your past. And I think Dr. Phil should have addressed this a bit more. The relationship you are in is very toxic, and what you need to do is to start anew. Take the time that is needed for YOU!!! Deal with your past so you can live the rest of your life happy!!! You deserve this!!! Don't punish yourself anymore xoxo

Showing 1-10 of total 158 Comments