Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Darlene says she has been estranged from her 27-year-old daughter, Abby, for more than a year, because she doesn’t approve of Abby converting from Southern Baptist to Islam. Darlene says she believes Abby is being “brainwashed” by her Muslim friends -- and fears her daughter might even “turn into a terrorist.” Abby insists her mother has taken a narrow and uninformed view about her new faith. She says she was heading down a dangerous path of drinking and promiscuity -- and becoming a Muslim helped her get her life back on track. Abby adds that her plan is to move to Saudi Arabia and never look back, whether Darlene likes it or not. Is she really ready to leave her life and family behind? Can Dr. Phil help this mother and daughter reconnect and move forward with acceptance for one another? Then, Maddy was the only minority jury member in the high-profile George Zimmerman case. Hear what she says really happened in the deliberation room -- and watch as she shares her feelings about the not-guilty verdict. Does she think justice was served? Plus, Lisa Bloom, author of Suspicion Nation, shares her insight on the trial. Why does she believe critical evidence might have been overlooked? (OAD: 3-3-14)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: readerwriter on Jul 20, 2014, 6:41PM - In reply to niabarr
scot in old English meant tax. Scot free meant  to have got away with not paying them, or is free of pay,ing them. Do your research before attacking.

Replied By: readerwriter on Jul 20, 2014, 6:34PM - In reply to angelascott
Your advice is so right. This girl really isn't interested in what the Muslims in the audience had to say, she's playing dress up, just as she did in Holland and as a performer, she dosn't want to give up the appearance of being different, also does she really believe she will be allowed to wear all that makeup there without being attacked in some manner. I really feel that Dr. Phil treated this way too casually. The girl is very immature and her condescending attitude toward her mother reflects that. She badly needs counseling by a professional.

Replied By: rabee22 on Jul 20, 2014, 10:44AM
I really appreciate what you did .you are a brave girl and you made the right choice and inshallah you won't regret that. I have a couple of advises to you befor going to Saudi Arabia.  Please note that saudi people are diverse people I mean most of them are good people but you may meet a bad one who are far from Islam and I dont you to get chocked of that .Having a religious husbund who can support you in your life and your religious issues .especially you will not be able to work so you need to be financally supported . I recommend you to keep an open channels with the States and don't say you not coming back. 

Replied By: loyalalways on Jul 20, 2014, 7:52AM - In reply to pulliammatina
He brought two Islam woman to the show because so many people think ALL Islam or Muslim people are alike. That is ignorant. How would you like it if ALL Americans were thought to be war mongers, murderers and rapists, etc., because some of you are war mongers, murderers and rapists? You wouldn't like it. 
Also, as for him not providing both sides of Islam and Muslim, he didn't have to do that. You people already know about the extremists. The problem is that you think that ALL Islam and Muslim people are evil terrorists/extremists and THAT is why he's talking about one side. 
I've lost count of how many derogatory e mails I've received regarding Muslims or Islam people. I look everything up on Snopes before I send anything. Every one of those e mails that I received was a LIE made up by people who believe Muslim people are all alike; people who believe everything they get in e mails and just pass it on as though it's gospel.
There are over 100 e mails at the moment, almost all of which are
 derogatory, being passed around by people who don't care enough to check their validity. People believe what they want to believe and don't bother to check whether it's true or not. If someone said those things about Americans, you'd all be all up in arms about it. You wouldn't let it go. There would be hell to pay. So, why do you accept it from yourselves?

Replied By: loyalalways on Jul 20, 2014, 5:36AM - In reply to niabarr
Are  you serious? Look it up in the dictionary. It is NOT a racial slur. It means getting something for free or for nothing. It's got nothing to do with Scottish people or anything else. Please explain how you see it as a racial slur. I've never heard anyone say that before.

Replied By: loyalalways on Jul 20, 2014, 5:30AM - In reply to mikied1952
You sound very ignorant. Zimmerman attacked this boy when he was walking in HIS OWN neighborhood, minding HIS OWN business. Zimmerman was told to stay in his car and stay away from Trayvon. He disobeyed and did it anyway. He harrassed Trayvon to the point that Trayvon felt the HE HAD TO DEFEND HIMSELF. Zimmerman got what he deserved from Trayvon, but there was definitely a miscarriage of justice for what he got in court. He's a murderer. He's been in trouble many times since and most likely before. Judging by the things he said, he PLANNED to attack Trayvon. I don't give a rat's ass what Trayvon did in his past. He has NO criminal record, so it couldn't have been that bad. However, he did NOT deserve what he got from that jackass trying to play cop. Zimmerman is a time bomb waiting to go off. It's just a matter of time. Maybe he'll kill a family member of the people who keep letting him off..... and I'm NOT talking about the jury. They did the best they could with a ridiculous law that obviously has gray areas. They knew he was guilty, but the way the law is written, they could NOT convict him. Pathetic!!!

Replied By: doreva on Jul 19, 2014, 11:47AM - In reply to angelascott
yes, the nice muslim lady in the audience who said islam is "abrahamic" should have pointed this out, the commandment (from the god of abraham) "honour thy father and thy mother"...or is she not aware of the abrahamic ten commandments ?

also, this use of the term "revert" instead of "convert" is dishonest and disingenuous.  The young lady has never been a muslim in the past, she was born and raised by baptist believers, so she CANNOT "revert" to something she has never been before.

Replied By: doreva on Jul 19, 2014, 11:44AM - In reply to staffsgt7
you're right, it's a cult.  can you imagine if it was scientology behaving this way, people would say, "its a cultl"...

also, let's get onto this term being bandied about in the vernacular "revert"...you can't "revert" to islam unless you were a muslim before.  it's disingenuous...because islam dogma states that everyone is "born a muslim" and "muslim is the original religion"...of course, muslims have a right to their religious beliefs, but this young woman, who has never been a muslim before, is a CONVERT, not a REVERT!  using the term "revert" to islam is fundamentally dishonest.  does that tell us something about the true nature of islam.  is it fundamentally dishonest? in a free and science-respecting society (which is what christendom is) asking a question should be welcomed, not avoided.

Replied By: doreva on Jul 19, 2014, 11:36AM
I saw the episode with the young woman who says she has "reverted" to Islam.  First, what is with this term "revert"...i see it in some other comments here.  That young woman has never been a muslim in the past, so how could she "revert"?  This is a disingenuous term introduced into the vernacular to imply that somehow the Islamic dogma or doctrine that Islam is the original religion is actually true, so all people on the planet should eventually "revert".  It is patronizing and condescending at best.  In America, we should defend our free speech right to state this criticism of a religious doctrine without fear of reprisal, even if those reprisals come in the form of "politically correct" admonition about an invented phobia.  Using the term "revert" in the vernacular is condescending, patronizing and ultimately, triumphalist.  we would not tolerate this coming from any other religious group.  why should islam be exempt from being held up to the same critical scrutiny as any other religion in America.  So, let's stop using this disingenuous term "revert"...it simply reflects the belief system of islam, which not everyone has to agree with.

second, this young woman is suffering from the usual affliction of youth that manisfests itself in condescending disrespect for her elders.  Her attitude toward her mother is very disrespectful, and she guises this disrespect in a condescending tolerance for what is supposedly her mother's "backwardness" for having "islamophobia" (although the young woman does not come out and use that slanderous term).  The mother is expressing fears about the future of her daughter which are not unfounded.  There are many MUSLIM parents who fear their children might be influenced to take up Political Islam, in the way that some young people born in the UK, in Canada, and USA, from muslim families, who have gone off to join "jihad" in Africa, Middle East and so on.  Just like parents have a right to be fearful of their children's future if they join any cult, it is not unfounded for a parent to be fearful of this possibility.  The attitude toward the mother for having this concern is characterized as if she has a PROBLEM.  It's not unlike the way AlAnon will condescendingly say to a wife who's husband is destroying a family with his alcohol abuse, Alanon dogma will say to her that if she demands the husband respect the sanctity of the home, that SHE is sicker than him.  This is a slanderous thing to say.  There is nothing "sick" about expecting a husband (or wife, if she's the alcoholic) to respect the integrity and sanctity of the family.  I had a person from alanon tell me that so i hung up on her.  Yep, eventually my spouse came around to my demand, respect the integerity of the family, and he gave up boozing.  No, i was HEALTHY to hold him up to this HIGH EXPECTATION.

Back to the "revert" to Islam, the underlying problem here is that she does not follow the commandment that her BAPTIST upbringing would hold her to, "honour thy father and they mother"....hmmm I wonder, the nice muslim lady from the audience claimed that islam is also "abrahmic" in its roots...does islam also have that "abrahamic" commandment?  if islam is "abrahamic", why wouldn't the "nice" muslim lady bring that up as the FIRST PRINCIPLE to the young woman who thinks she knows EVERYTHING (as i said, a common affliction of youth). 

Replied By: amira1437 on Jul 19, 2014, 10:37AM - In reply to angelascott
Beautiful words. 100% true. JazakAllah Kahir.

Showing 1-10 of total 354 Comments