Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Darlene says she has been estranged from her 27-year-old daughter, Abby, for more than a year, because she doesn’t approve of Abby converting from Southern Baptist to Islam. Darlene says she believes Abby is being “brainwashed” by her Muslim friends -- and fears her daughter might even “turn into a terrorist.” Abby insists her mother has taken a narrow and uninformed view about her new faith. She says she was heading down a dangerous path of drinking and promiscuity -- and becoming a Muslim helped her get her life back on track. Abby adds that her plan is to move to Saudi Arabia and never look back, whether Darlene likes it or not. Is she really ready to leave her life and family behind? Can Dr. Phil help this mother and daughter reconnect and move forward with acceptance for one another? Then, Maddy was the only minority jury member in the high-profile George Zimmerman case. Hear what she says really happened in the deliberation room -- and watch as she shares her feelings about the not-guilty verdict. Does she think justice was served? Plus, Lisa Bloom, author of Suspicion Nation, shares her insight on the trial. Why does she believe critical evidence might have been overlooked? (OAD: 3-3-14)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: patrioticmomma on Jul 29, 2014, 8:08AM - In reply to loyalalways
I do not condone Zimmerman's actions that night but the media has left a lot out in their portrayal of Trefon Martin, he had an extensive criminal arrest and conviction record as a juvenile which the authorities in fla mentioned too a media outlet etc... but the details obviously will never be made public as he was a juvenile. the public did not know and may never know that weeks prior too this incident he was arrested for assaulting a former neighborhood watch representative. he also had theft and recieving stolen property convictions as well as drug violations on record. he was also as many know suspended for weed possession at the school he attended. the media was and still is very slanted on this issue as his picture that was pasted everywhere was a pic of him when he was 12yrs old. he was much larger and clearly more menacing in the most recent pics of which were never released as he had tatoos that said F*** the police etc...

Replied By: fharrell on Jul 27, 2014, 3:55PM - In reply to peaceandjoy7
Where did you read or hear that the man who went into the movie theatre dressed as the Joke and shot up the place was a Christian?  I've never heard that ever. The fact that he may Not have been muslim and is US born does not make him a Christian if that's what you are thinking.

Replied By: fharrell on Jul 27, 2014, 3:51PM - In reply to peaceandjoy7
Ummm...... Christians do NOT worship prophets.

Replied By: fharrell on Jul 27, 2014, 9:53AM - In reply to beebeesmama
I know this reply is late since I don't often come on this site to make comments with regard to the Dr. Phil shows I've watched.... but I have to respond to the comment you made.... "we are not like Christians where we hurt people for their religion."  I"M A CHRISTIAN and I know many, many Christians who do NOT hurt people because they believe something different from what we believe. 

What a terrible thing for you to say.  I don't know what your Quran teaches you, but my Bible teaches me to.... Luke 6:27 "But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you, 28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefuly use you;  29 and unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that takekth away thy cloak forbid not to take they coat also; 30 Give to every many that asketh of the; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.  31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise".  Now, If you want to lump ALL Christians together, than don't feel offended when somebody wants to lump YOU with Muslim extremists!!!

Replied By: fharrell on Jul 27, 2014, 9:13AM - In reply to doreva
B

eautifully stated.... I'm in 100% agreement with you.

Replied By: fharrell on Jul 27, 2014, 9:00AM - In reply to readerwriter
I completely agree, but I can't stress enough how I feel that Dr. Phil was way too soft on this young lady and way too harsh on her mother. I wanted to cry for the mom.

Replied By: stacky55 on Jul 26, 2014, 6:51AM
If her mother stopped opposing her, she might not have to resist so hard.  And then we could hope that she would go to a movie [or watch one on TV] and get a new passion before she leaves for Saudi Arabia.  

Also, her mother needs to get over how perfect she  was before.  If Abby says she was in trouble with drugs and/or alcohol, then she probably was.  Children are good at keeping things from their parents. 

I think two aspects of her basic personality are:

1) if she goes to a foreign movie, she comes out speaking in an accent.  

2) if someone tells her she can't do something, her determination to do that particular thing becomes set in concrete.  

Abby should also research Saudi law.  SA is better than some other countries in that region but if she should marry a Saudi man, there is a chance that she would end up without a passport to get back to the US.  If she had a child there by a Saudi man, she would find it nearly impossible to bring the child back to the US without the husband's consent.  In the US, there is a presumption that children belong with the mother.  In SA, the fact is that children belong TO the father.  

Right now she is looking at Islam and SA through rose colored glasses.  Purely as a religion, there is much to recommend Islam and it certainly has done some good things for Abby.  However, that does not make the practice of the religion perfect.  Nor does converting to Islam make it necessary to move to Saudi Arabi.  

She probably summed it up when she said Islam is exciting and everything here is boring.  I think she gets bored real easily.  That is sometimes a facet of very high intelligence.  When it is so easy for a person to acquire knowledge [learn a foreign language, master a new skill], then the person needs constant stimulation to keep from feeling bored.  Schools that test their "problem" students often find that they need more challenge and are best served by a gifted or advanced placement.  

Replied By: readerwriter on Jul 20, 2014, 6:41PM - In reply to niabarr
scot in old English meant tax. Scot free meant  to have got away with not paying them, or is free of pay,ing them. Do your research before attacking.

Replied By: readerwriter on Jul 20, 2014, 6:34PM - In reply to angelascott
Your advice is so right. This girl really isn't interested in what the Muslims in the audience had to say, she's playing dress up, just as she did in Holland and as a performer, she dosn't want to give up the appearance of being different, also does she really believe she will be allowed to wear all that makeup there without being attacked in some manner. I really feel that Dr. Phil treated this way too casually. The girl is very immature and her condescending attitude toward her mother reflects that. She badly needs counseling by a professional.

Replied By: rabee22 on Jul 20, 2014, 10:44AM
I really appreciate what you did .you are a brave girl and you made the right choice and inshallah you won't regret that. I have a couple of advises to you befor going to Saudi Arabia.  Please note that saudi people are diverse people I mean most of them are good people but you may meet a bad one who are far from Islam and I dont you to get chocked of that .Having a religious husbund who can support you in your life and your religious issues .especially you will not be able to work so you need to be financally supported . I recommend you to keep an open channels with the States and don't say you not coming back. 

Showing 1-10 of total 361 Comments