Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

In 2011, Josh Young, 15, was charged with murder in the brutal beating death of his 14-year-old stepbrother, Trey Zwicker -- after his father, Joshua Gouker, turned him in. But a year later, while Josh awaited trial in a juvenile correction facility, Gouker confessed to the murder. It was still believed that Josh had a role in the crime, and he was put on trial for -- and eventually acquitted of -- complicity to murder and tampering with evidence. Now, in an exclusive interview, Josh sits down with Dr. Phil. Find out why he says he barely knew his father. And, what does he say happened on the night Trey was killed? Then, hear the chilling courtroom testimony from Gouker on why he says he killed Trey. Plus, Trey’s father, Terry, faces Josh on Dr. Phil’s stage. Why does he believe the teen is lying? How does Josh explain the alleged inconsistencies in his statements to police? And, Dr. Phil speaks with Gouker via telephone from prison. Watch as Gouker drops yet another bombshell about who he now claims is responsible for Trey’s death. Is the wrong man in prison? Don’t miss this compelling two-part series.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: fit1fifty on Mar 16, 2014, 12:52PM
Just had a chance to watch the show.  I am the mother of a young man.  I am very good at telling when they are lying.  Little Josh is guilty and is up to his eyeballs in this murder.

Replied By: theresace on Mar 13, 2014, 1:31AM - In reply to sdcoffee
I thought I was the only one thinking what you posted. I don't think for a minute if Josh Young took any part in Trey's death he would be able to look Terry in the eye and lie to him. Why would he kill his best friend? I believe Josh Young.

Replied By: sdcoffee on Feb 27, 2014, 7:46AM
I watched the whole trial on HLN and due to time constraints of your show not all info was available to viewers. This was one of the craziest cases I have ever seen! Big Josh had control over all and was going to let Little Josh take the rap cause he thought they would try him as a teen therefore letting big josh off scott free. They then decided to try LJ as an adult this after letting this young man sit in jail for 2 years until trial. Finally BJ confessed and the jury got it right and let that innocent boy free! I don't believe Trey was as innocent as they made him out to be because the night of the murder he was sneeking out to go somewhere late at night without LJ. I do believe Cassie had more involvement than she makes everyone believe especially since she flunked the polygraph..That alone proved to me that LJ had NOTHING to do with it and he wasn't even present that night like she claimed. BJ needed a scape goat and he found one in his very own son!! I would love to know how a convicted fellon got his kid he didn't even know from CPS??? Let Josh Young live his life already as he has paid a price that was already far too high!!!

Replied By: rondacarter on Feb 26, 2014, 6:48PM
I'm so sorry that you have to go thru this terrible ordeal. I lost my only son to a drunk driver, and I still do not know what your going thru, I can understand more than most, having to live without your son is devastating, I go thru it everyday, his father also,  if I could give you one comment of advice, I would say PLEASE as hard as it is, don't let it ruin your life, Trey would not want that at all! Keep his memory alive and I think one thing that did get a cross on dr. Phil is Trey was a good and may I say a very good looking boy, My son had just turned 17, he didn't deserve what he got and neither did Trey. GOD has a special place in heaven for children like ours and they are happy there, but they can't be happy when they see us in so much pain and so many tears, it takes a long time, and people will tell you it gets easier, well it don't!!!! But it does get easier to deal with, concentrate on what made him smile and the good times and you will smile when you think of him,  maybe not now but soon.  And if you trust in god, you will get thru this, it's  the only thing that gets me thru each day,  let dr Phil do the hard work now, and you just celebrate Treys life.   I think we all know they ALL were involved in someway or another, I think you know in your heart who all had a hand in this tragedy, my heart and prayers go out to you and your family

Replied By: bat888 on Feb 26, 2014, 3:54PM
Little Josh did not want to take the Polygraph because he knows more than what he is letting on. Do I think he killed Trey, no. Do I think he was there, yes.
Big Josh's plan was to pin the entire thing on his son, then had a change of heart.
He thinks by changing his story now he may be able to get out of prison. He can now try to blame LJ because of Double Jeopardy he cannot be tried again for the crime.
I think that something Little Josh said or did caused this entire ordeal and Big Josh took it too far. Did he mean to kill Trey, no, but his lack of self control caused him to take that baby's life.
Little Josh and Cassie fear Big Josh, that is what it comes down to, fear.
Little Josh can say with conviction that he did not kill Trey because he didnt. But he knows exactly why what happened happened.
If he told the truth now not only could he go to prision for being an accomplice but he would have to admit that he knows Big Josh killed Trey and he fears what his "father" would do to him if he speaks the truth.

#JusticeforTrey

Replied By: mrsdrwent91 on Feb 26, 2014, 1:15PM
I had empathy for "little Josh" and believed him about not being involved until he decided not to do the polygraph.  He ended up looking like he is guilty of something and doesn't have compassion for anyone. 

I find it really sad that these people all care more about themselves than a grieving family that lost their son.  I would not be surprised if to see them in jail for something within a few years.

Replied By: jennef on Feb 26, 2014, 12:58PM
Could someone please explain how Josh Young & Trey Zwicker  are stepbrothers?

Replied By: mug15vin on Feb 26, 2014, 9:09AM - In reply to mabcanada
Inbreads?  LOL....obviously no spell check here

Replied By: heyheyhey on Feb 26, 2014, 8:31AM - In reply to mabcanada
Inbread?? It's inbred.

Replied By: helyn55 on Feb 26, 2014, 7:32AM
As usual, we have half the story. Where is Trey's mother? At the end the father says she knows something. Is she Amanda that they say was having sex with big Josh on the porch? Lil Josh seems to have fool a lot of the community. Two things he said were revealing (FB closed for 2 weeks? - He doesn't know anyone of these players? ) There is a lot we don't know here. One is Josh's history at the foster homes. His school records. What is he doing now? Why did he come on the show at all? As often happens on the show, rather that hear all the recaps, I would opt for more info.

Showing 1-10 of total 77 Comments