Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Born into the polygamous FLDS sect, Rebecca Musser claims that at 19, her father, Lloyd, forced her to marry 85-year-old Rulon Jeffs -- the head of the church and considered a prophet by his followers. After seven years of marriage, Jeffs -- who was said to have as many as 65 wives -- died in 2002, and that’s when Rebecca says she made her escape. Now 37, Rebecca, who recently authored The Witness Wore Red: The 19th Wife Who Brought Polygamous Cult Leaders to Justice, sits down with Dr. Phil and recounts the abuse she alleges she endured at the hands of fellow FLDS members and the day she says she found freedom. How did she learn to assimilate into a society, after being closed off from the outside world for so long? And, hear how she helped authorities build a child sexual assault case against Rulon’s son, Warren Jeffs -- who took control of the church when his father died -- and other church leaders, who are now behind bars. Then, Rebecca’s father confronts his daughter for what he says is a “book full of lies” and explains why he’s threatening to sue. Why does he say Rebecca had a “fairytale life”? And, how does he answer to her allegation that he forced her to marry against her will? Plus, Rebecca speaks out about breaking the cycle of abuse and shares her top “red flags” to look out for.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: KateBauer on Mar 3, 2014, 6:02PM
I am so glad you are out of the reach of dirty old men claiming to have multiple wives and child wives in the name of religiion.  Your father should be ashamed of himself for being complaisant in your childhood sexual abuse.  It is funny how men can come up with a message from God when it comes to them wanting sex with many women.

Replied By: luvmedo on Mar 2, 2014, 2:00AM - In reply to mommatoad
I like the way you expressed yourself.  I can't figure out how some people justify the things they do.

Replied By: luvmedo on Mar 2, 2014, 1:45AM - In reply to sfawson
I don't think you can deny that polygamy was once part of the Mormon beliefs.  Yes it was banned when the US Malitia was coming to the territory now known as Utah, in order to enforce the laws.  Brigham Young suddenly received a vision for polygamy to stop. And yes anybody practicing polygamy is excommunicated from the Mormon church,   But the belief  for eternal life still involves polygamy.  Men can still be married to as many women as they want (if they are divorced or widowed) however, a woman who is divoced or widowed can only be married to one man in the Mormon temple.  Polygamy is still a part of the belief system for the eternity, but not in today's real life.

Replied By: luvmedo on Mar 2, 2014, 1:33AM - In reply to riross
I don't think there is any good to come out of that community.  Women are degraded and treated as less than by men.  There is sexual abuse, physical abuse, mental/emotional abuse and any kind of abuse you can think of.  Nothing about that sounds good to me.  Rebecca is not lying.  So many people do not understand how widespread this problem is and how difficult it is to get it stopped.  I pray for the people who suffer in this community.

Replied By: luvmedo on Mar 2, 2014, 1:27AM - In reply to tracyholm
I'm guessing you may know first hand what this is about or have a connection to the people being referred to.  Maybe you could point out the differences for those of us who are not as familiar.

Replied By: luvmedo on Feb 27, 2014, 4:25PM - In reply to cudee58
I think it is really hard for people to understand how these things happen.  Polygamists are brainwashed into thiking they are doing the right thing.  They don't think of things the same way others do.  They view the outside word and it's laws as evil and do not believe in the same laws.  They are told their eternal salvation depends on doing the things their church and prophet tell them to do.  They don't see it as wrong to have more than one wife or marry young girls to old men.  That is their norm and that is what they believe will take them to heaven.

Replied By: luvmedo on Feb 27, 2014, 4:21PM
Rebecca, I don't know if you are on ths board or read this.  I admire you for telling your story.  I am very familiar wth stories of the FLDS, but yours seems different in a few ways from others I have heard.  Did you live in southern Utah or northern Utah?  I was also surprised to hear your father say he was not born into this sect but was 30 years old when he left the LDS church and joined the FLDS.  I have not heard of people being accepted into this sect from the outside world.  Are there many people who do that?  Is your father and family still in Warren Jeff's cult?  Things your father said made me think he has left the community.  I would think if he still believed in the church he wouldn't have said he was sorry for offering you up to the Prophet.  I love that you wear red.  And I also love that you have a better life now.  I know all the thigs yoy said are true and it is so sad these things have happened to yoy and others.  If anybody else can answer my questions I would love to talk to you.

Replied By: cudee58 on Feb 24, 2014, 2:07PM - In reply to highonfire2010
How can they want anything, they dont get that option.. They are born into the life and forced to follow or lose their familys & friends.. There is no choice here thats for sure,, That Father & mother should be right next to that other sicko in prison

Replied By: cudee58 on Feb 24, 2014, 2:02PM - In reply to phoebe387
Phoebe..You hi tthe nail on the head.. All  these women & children are  controlled by whom???  Such a travesty

Replied By: stargazer225 on Feb 23, 2014, 6:04PM
I don't care what religion you are, we all have a conscience and know right from wrong instinctively.  To believe that it's okay to take multiple wives, and rape these young girls and call it marriage, don't tell me these bastards think they're going to heaven. They're trying to make heaven here on earth and they don't believe in any God or they wouldn't believe they're going to get away with it.

God knows their dark hearts and they will pay for an eternity, but we have a responsibility to these children born into cults. It is not okay to rape someone because they're a "family" member.  

Showing 1-10 of total 112 Comments