Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Dr. Phil enlists the help of a private investigator to sort through some of Tracy’s painful memories from her childhood that she says recently came flooding back. Was she molested by her now-deceased father? And, did her mother, Donna, kill a young girl and bury her in their backyard? Donna vehemently denies the claims and says she feels Tracy is in need of psychiatric help. After previously taking a polygraph test, Donna agrees to take another in an effort to clear her name. What will the results reveal? Are Tracy’s memories real? Plus, how can this family move forward? This program contains strong sexual content. Viewer discretion advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: beckysd on Feb 24, 2014, 9:29AM - In reply to lepasley
Thank you for mentioning the False Memory Syndrome Foundation.   I too have found them to be a wonderful resource for information and advice.    

Replied By: effwalkingdead on Feb 22, 2014, 3:38PM
Why was the polygraph limited to only one question? What about anything else related to the actual sexual abuse Tracy claims she suffered at the hands of her grandfather and father, with her mother's knowledge, and even by her mother? Even if Tracy is delusional when it comes to whether a murder occurred in her house or whether a body was ever buried in the backyard, that doesn't automatically discount the possibility that she actually was the victim of sexual abuse in which her mother was complicit.

Replied By: effwalkingdead on Feb 22, 2014, 3:38PM - In reply to rbuff1
Dr. Phil proclaimed that he has not encountered even one instance of a legitimate repressed memory in all of his 30 years of practice. How is this a logically sound argument by itself? He did not offer to what degree his practice or expertise involved repressed memory patients - because that would be a critical component of the argument he is indirectly making. That's like me stating, I have not encountered one blue whale in all of my 30 years on this planet - what's the merit of that argument? Just because he hasn't encountered a specific event professionally or personally, does that necessarily impact its legitimacy or likelihood in this case? Wouldn't making that kind of overly broad proclamation already betray his position and bias at the outset of evaluating this situation?

Replied By: effwalkingdead on Feb 22, 2014, 3:33PM
Dr. Phil seemed to espouse the idea that discrediting Tracy's claim that a body had been buried in her backyard would automatically negate all of her other claims. That's illogical. Proving any one of Tracy's memories to be unreliable does not in itself disprove all of her allegations. Even if Tracy is experiencing delusions, these delusions can themselves be byproducts of sexual abuse that in fact occurred, and not solely because of therapist hypnotic inducement and/or drug use, which was implied by a show expert.
While not all of Tracy's allegations may be credible or reliable, one false memory does not equal all false memories. Also, Dr. Phil and his expert repeatedly alluded to Tracy's drug use as a factor in discrediting her memories. While drug use may indeed have physiological consequences, it seems highly irresponsible and a dangerous, slippery slope to suggest that individuals who have used drugs can no longer reliably defend claims of childhood sexual abuse.

Replied By: effwalkingdead on Feb 22, 2014, 3:32PM - In reply to kareneaston36
Tracy's sister, Kelly, was caught in a blatant lie. At first, Kelly vehemently claimed that none of Tracy's recollections ever happened. However, when confronted by an inconsistency in this argument by Tracy's husband, Kelly admitted that she did witness their grandfather with his hands down Tracy's pants as a child, but "only that one time." Dr Phil seemed to have fallen asleep at the wheel here. Although he made a bare minimum acknowledgment that hands down the pants would "not be right," he totally failed to adequately handle Kelly's admission which exposed many issues. An adult's hands down a child's pants is not merely "not right," it's highly inappropriate, seems indicative of child abuse and supports at least one of Tracy's claims. How could this have been so readily dismissed!? Also, Kelly's credibility was immediately suspect. Never was it raised that Kelly may have had a motive to suppress the truth because corroborating Tracy's account would mean exposing Kelly's own victimization - something many victims will go out of their way to keep hidden, even by lying to cover it up.

Kelly's admission supported Tracy's account that she had been sexually molested by her grandfather. Dr. Phil should have immediately put Tracy's mother, Donna, on the spot about her take on the grandfather's behavior and relationship with her children. This line of questioning was never entered into! If Donna responded that she was not aware of any such misconduct, and Donna's supporter, Kelly, has already admittedly witnessed at least one incident, than how many other incidents could there have been? Dr. Phil never explored these signposts that could have possibly resulted in information supporting Tracy's allegations.

Replied By: effwalkingdead on Feb 22, 2014, 3:30PM
While Dr. Phil could have acknowledged that Alan was deceased and unable to defend himself against accusations by Tracy that were made only after his passing, reading accolades about Alan's miltary service has no bearing on whether he abused his children. Plenty of molesters have distinguished careers across all walks of life - teachers, priests, soldiers, cops, award-winning film directors, football coaches?! - this has zero connection to their likelihood of being pedophiles, and Dr. Phil completely confused the issues for his guests and his viewers when he ended on this note.

Replied By: effwalkingdead on Feb 22, 2014, 3:29PM
This blog addresses the many issues in how Dr. Phil handled the situation.

http://effwalkingdead.blogspot.com/2014/02/february-17-2014-sex-abuse-and-murder.html

One of the worst parts, was how Dr. Phil ended the two part series on Day 2. While Dr. Phil could have acknowledged that Alan was deceased and unable to defend himself against accusations by Tracy that were made only after his passing, reading accolades about Alan's miltary service has no bearing on whether he abused his children. Plenty of molesters have distinguished careers across all walks of life - teachers, priests, soldiers, cops, award-winning film directors, football coaches?! - this has zero connection to their likelihood of being pedophiles, and Dr. Phil completely confused the issues for his guests and his viewers when he ended on this note.

Replied By: lepasley on Feb 21, 2014, 9:47PM - In reply to nickatnoon
You are so very wrong.  I have been a guest speaker at the conferences; I have met with and worked with the founder of FMSF, as well as the professionals on the advisery board.  As Dr. Phil said, you should not enable people until you educate yourself and know what you are talking about.  I have known these people since 1992 and they have been the most stable, kind, loving people you would ever want to know.  I am proud to call them my friends.

Replied By: squirl38 on Feb 21, 2014, 6:27PM
I think what this woman is doing by accusing her famiy of sexual abuse is far more about wanting to be a victim any way she can.  I was molested twice as a child and I don't go around accusing family members of killing people.  There are people out there who are really sexually abused and the fact that she was not and can ruin the lives of her own family because she is desperate for attention is discusting to me.  Lets all get real..there are plently of women who falsly accuse others of rape and molestation because they love being victims and getting the attention and they know that most people will not dare call them out about it because it sounds uncaring.  This woman has some serious issues and if I was her mother, brother or sister...I WOULD NOT FORGIVE HER.  She said she just wanted answers but was unwilling to listen to the logic that many people explained to her...she did not want the truth...she wanted attention...PERIOD.

Replied By: lepasley on Feb 21, 2014, 5:10PM
I HAVE BEEN WITH THE FALSE MEMORY SYNDROME FOUNDATION FROM IT'S ONSET. I WAS ONE OF THE WOMEN WHO WAS GOING TO A THERAPY SITUATION THAT WAS THE HOAX.  "SURVIVORS" HAVE TRIED TO SAY THESE ARE GUILTY PARENTS WHO ARE TRYING TO KEEP THEIR BEHAVIOUR SECRET.  THIS IS MORE CRAP TO TRY TO CONVINCE THESE WOMEN THEIR "MEMORIES" ARE RIGHT.  THE BOARD FOR THE FMSF ARE ABSOLUTELY AWESOME AND LEVEL HEADED.  THEY HAVE STUDIED THESE CASES.  I AM ONE OF THE ONES THEY STUDIED.  AS I SAID IN THE POST BELOW, CHECK THEM OUT - THEN SEEK THEM OUT.  THEY WILL ASSIST THE FAMILIES OF THOSE MAKING ACCUSATIONS. I HAVE BEEN TO CONFERENCES AND I HAVE STAYED IN THE HOMES OF SOME OF THESE SO CALLED "GUILTY BECAUSE OF AN ACCUSATION" PARENTS.  THEY ARE SOME OF THE MOST AWESOME PEOPLE I HAVE EVER HAD THE PLEASURE OF MEETING.  DON'T LET SOMEONE COME ON HERE AND RUN YOU OFF.  I SAY AGAIN, CHECK THEM OUT - THEN CALL THEM.  THE SUPPORT YOU RECEIVE IS AWESOME.

I watch this show having flashbacks of my own nightmare thru this type therapy.  In fact, my story has been published in two different languages.  Called "Misplaced Trust", that is exactly what happened. This show was so much like many of my group therapy friends - as well as myself.

In 1991, I became the first person in the US to file a suit against therapists - in part - for inducing and/or implanting memories and for fostering an unhealthy dependance on the therps.   I started in the media in 1993 when I finished my lawsuit.  I spent 2-3 years in front of cameras trying to spread the message about this kind of therapy.  

I had only one problem with the shows regarding this subject.  Although you mentioned my good friend Beth Loftus, you failed to tell the family they could find plenty of support thru the False Memory Syndrome Foundation in Philadelphia.  I was with them before they started that foundation.  A lot of the information they had, they got from other women like me, as well as myself.

Please advise any family accused like this, the FMSF foundation is alive and well  Just like the Dr. Phil show, they have an abundance of memory experts, as well as child therapists, medical doctors, educators and people who have studied this issue since the McMartin Pre-School case.  My ordeal began in 1985 and went four years to 1989.  

Research them - then call them.  They will be a great help for family members.  And, there are people like me - "Retractors" who have been there and somehow made it out and reclaimed our sanity. After the years put into educating the public, this should not still be happening.

The False Memory Syndrome Foundation is a 501 (c) (3) organization founded in March, 1992. 
Philadelphia, PA 
Telephone: 215-940-1040, Fax: 215-940-1042. 
Email: mail@fmsfonline.org 
Pamela Freyd, Ph.D., Executive Director

Showing 1-10 of total 192 Comments