Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Marie says her husband of 8 years, Ron, has a violent temper, and she’s afraid for her safety and the safety of their 4-year-old daughter. She says Ron’s mood can change within seconds and claims he has become verbally and physically abusive. She alleges Ron has pushed her down the stairs and hit her in the head and claims he has threatened to do much worse, recently even writing “kill” on the bathroom mirror. Ron adamantly denies ever physically or verbally abusing Marie. He claims she is a compulsive liar who often mixes her prescription medications with alcohol and says she is the one with anger problems. How does Marie respond? Is she telling the full truth about her husband’s behaviors -- and her own? Dr. Phil sorts through the allegations and looks at video from Dr. Phil cameras placed inside the family’s home -- what did they capture? Can Dr. Phil help this couple stop fighting and start communicating -- for the sake of their child? (OAD: 2-6-14)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cinheart on Aug 1, 2014, 3:45PM
These two creeps made my skin crawl.  Don't even care which one was lying the most - they were each contributing 100% to the situation.  

I sensed Dr. Phil could not get away from them fast enough.  He's had some disgusting guests before, but this is one show that looked like he just wanted to be over.  Ha!  

Replied By: loyalalways on Aug 1, 2014, 2:36PM - In reply to peacefield
So, you're going to believve that Marie is a liar and totally to blame just because Ron said so??? The guy clearly has problems. What makes ou think that HE's not the one who's lying? As far as he was concerned, he did absolutely nothing wrong. When one person won't take ANY responsibility, I question them. It takes TWO to have problems and he is also to blame, not just her.  Like Dr. Phil said, he's a know-it-all. Dr. Phil even had problems gettng him to communicate with him. I can just imagine how frustrated Marie gets with him, having to live with him on a daily basis. They BOTH need help, not just Marie.

Replied By: peacefield on Aug 1, 2014, 11:37AM
Ron definitely has issues and does not express himself well at all.  But with so much to explore for this couple, how could Dr. Phil consume literally 1/3 the show on Ron's back and forth over his choice to be there or not and the reasons for it.   At the end of the day, he was so that Marie's lies don't go unaddressed.  And he said that, just poorly and not directly.  While it might have made for amusing TV, Phil could have used the time much better in the interest of understanding and then guiding this couple.

I also think Dr. Phil's final conclusion, that the couple needs to communicate better, falls a million miles short.  Yes, like every couple in trouble, communication plays a big role.  But that's not at the core of their issues.  It seems that Marie may have a problem with lying.  Possibly she's even a pathological liar.  Possibly she's even a sociopath.  What about those much larger issues?

We didn't get to real answers as to who wrote Killer on the mirror.  I also don't doubt that it was Marie.  So what motivates someone to do that to their spouse; write killer on a mirror, blame their husband, call the police over and over again, etc?  This is outrageous behavior and is an exhibit of the much bigger issues facing this couple.  Yes, Ron acts a little wild, but what we're probably seeing is someone who is pressed to the limit by a relentless barrage of hostile behavior that defies any logic.  Who wouldn't be completely exhausted by it?

I should say that I'm finally out of a long marriage to a sociopath.  I didn't know it at the time.  I didn't know it until my counselor put a name on it., and then proceeded to tell me that there really is no managing or improving this behavior.  She was much more extreme and dangerous than Marie, but I could see so much of my Ex in Marie's comments, facial expressions, and general approach.

So yeah, better communication skills are always good, but that was not the core of this couple's problem.  If I'm right about Marie, she has a lot to over come if that is even possible.  My advice to Ron as was my counselor's advice to me is just one word:  RUN!

Replied By: munchkin171 on Aug 1, 2014, 9:41AM
I was in an abusive relationship for 30 years.  This woman is full of it.  If it's one thing an abused person learns, it's when to back off and go on.  This woman is NOT afraid of him.  When you are afraid, you don't antagonize the other person.  I believe he has issues but she is NOT the victim.  She makes me sick to try to portray the hurt individual.  Dr. Phil, I hope you see through her charade.  If not, I will be truly disappointed in you.

Replied By: loyalalways on Aug 1, 2014, 3:24AM - In reply to jennysgram
That's what concerned me, too. It's easy for people to sit back and judge her because we don't have to live with him. I don't know if he truly has PTSD, but he does act like it. If he's changed a lot, that's a sign, too. He didn't say what caused the PTSD, so I don't know what to think. All I know is what I saw on the show. HE was acting very erratic. Other people I've seen on the Dr. Phil show who had PTSD from going to Iraq also blamed their wives for EVERYTHING. One thing is clear, though. They BOTH need help to learn to communicate.

Replied By: loyalalways on Jul 31, 2014, 10:46PM - In reply to canary27
I agree. I think he proved himself on the show by trying to manipulate Dr. Phil. He claims to have PTSD. From what I've seen on the Dr. Phil show, PTSD changes a person and makes them do all kinds of strange things. However, did he mention being in the military? I don't recall hearing that.

Replied By: joyciej2 on Jul 31, 2014, 8:35PM
that woman is a liar no doubt. So obvious!

Replied By: loyalalways on Jul 31, 2014, 8:22PM
Both of them need to learn to talk to one another without yelling. I don't think it helps that Ron has PTSD, if he really has it. He didn't say what caused it. He just claims he has it.. PTSD makes life very difficult for  the family of the person sufffering from it. Any triggers they get depends on what caused the PTSD. If it's from going to war, certain little noises they hear can haunt them and bring back memories of the war in which they fought, for example. When someone has PTSD, the wife or husband of the person doesn't understand why their spouse is all of sudden so different. It's difficult for both of them. I'm sure that Dr. Phil can find the right help for this couple. I got the impression that they got along pretty well before he  ended kup with PTSD.. Dr. Phil has had a LOT of couples on the show with this problem. If anyone can help, Dr. Phil can!!

Replied By: ladykaysue on Jul 31, 2014, 6:32PM - In reply to rubidoux
I agree! She wrote "Killer" on the mirror (Men don't write their "K's" like that.) If he ever harmed her, she would have photos. Her aunt sees him raging and hears what the wife tells her. The neighbor hears and see things when the couple does not know he is listening/watching. He is about to burst, that is for sure, but she is the liar and manipulator...

Replied By: brenittt on Jul 31, 2014, 6:23PM
This couple today is toxic! It's not just him !! She EG's him on totally ! If she'd shut up and go away instead of bitch nags him they'd probably do a little better! I think she'd drive me nuts! They need to learn respect and learn boundaries! Maybe Dr. Phil could teach them to TALK ... They do not know how to talk to each other!

Showing 1-10 of total 193 Comments