Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Marie says that her husband of 8 years, Ron, has a violent temper, and she’s afraid for her safety and the safety of their 4-year-old daughter. She says that Ron’s mood can change within seconds and claims that he has become verbally and physically abusive. She alleges that Ron has pushed her down the stairs and hit her in the head -- and claims that he has threatened to do much worse, recently even writing “kill” on the bathroom mirror. Ron adamantly denies that he has ever physically or verbally abused Marie. He claims that she is a compulsive liar who often mixes her prescription medications with alcohol -- and says that she has serious anger issues of her own. How does Marie respond? Is she telling the full truth about her husband’s behaviors -- and her own? Dr. Phil sorts through the allegations and looks at video from Dr. Phil cameras placed inside the family’s home -- what did they capture? Can Dr. Phil help this couple find a way to stop fighting and start communicating -- for the sake of their child?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: strine on Apr 13, 2014, 11:22PM - In reply to flyrobin
Watching the video of her talking to him, I could see her bitter facial expressions and see how she was leaning in towards him picking at him. She isn't scared of him, she thinks it's all a joke- someone scared doesn't get in the face of their abuser, shove a camera in their face and laugh and joke. I lived in an abusive home as a kid and we all tip toed around our abuser so he wouldn't notice us.

Replied By: chillimom on Feb 18, 2014, 1:15AM
Why do people like this stay together in such a toxic, dysfuntional, and miserable marriage?  I would get the heck out of dodge before it got to that point.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Feb 10, 2014, 1:21PM - In reply to antandmarsha
I agree with you, it's alarming how many "pill-pushing" doctors prescribe controlled substances just because their "patient" asked for them. And, painkiilers can actually make someone's pain even worse because of his/her body became so dependent on them. I remember how that happened to Alex of the Dr Phil family, until she hit bottom and accepted Dr Phil's offer of rehab on her own. Getting all those drugs out of her system turned her into a brand new person.

Replied By: cadescove99 on Feb 10, 2014, 1:21PM - In reply to antandmarsha
I agree with you, it's alarming how many "pill-pushing" doctors prescribe controlled substances just because their "patient" asked for them. And, painkiilers can actually make someone's pain even worse because of his/her body became so dependent on them. I remember how that happened to Alex of the Dr Phil family, until she hit bottom and accepted Dr Phil's offer of rehab on her own. Getting all those drugs out of her system turned her into a brand new person.

Replied By: antandmarsha on Feb 9, 2014, 11:25PM - In reply to bignosycat
Both are benzodiazepines. Highly addictive......as much as heroin!  Physicans are prescribing at an alarming rate.  If you have anxiety - these drugs are a temporary fix.   Continue to take and you will not sleep, your body will need more and more - then you are hooked!!!  Your anxiety will never go away as long as you are on these meds.    "bugged eyed" - thyroid; perhaps - untreated can cause anxiety/mood issues.  Always get to the underlying problem.

Replied By: cara_c on Feb 8, 2014, 11:23PM
The husband's behavior was bizarre, inappropriate, manipulative and abusive from the moment he came onto the show, and even beforehand with his "Will he or won't he appear?" drama. He claimed to be the victim while attacking his wife. I completely believe the aunt that he's a dangerous person.

This couple's problems are way beyond "communication issues." Either this man is mentally unbalanced or his preferred technique of abuse is to keep those around him off balance by acting like a maniac. I recommend that the wife should Why Does He Do That?" by Lundy Bancroft about abusive men and start working on her exit plan.

Replied By: cupid2011 on Feb 8, 2014, 4:37PM - In reply to loyalalways
I THINK A LOT OF THEM DON'T GET PROPER TREATMENT.  I THINK DR. PHIL HAS BETTER RESOURCES LIKE HE HAS THEM USE A HYPERBERIC CHAMBER AND REFERS THEM TO A COGNITIVE BEHAVIOUR THERAPIST, AND THEY ALSO GET NUTRITIONAL COUNCELING AND BRAIN DETOXIFICATION.  THE MILITARY HOSPITALS PROBABLY ONLY PROVIDE MEDICATION WHICH ISN'T ENOUGH.   IT'S HARD FOR MOST VETERANS TO HELP THEMSELVES BECAUSE THEY ARE SO MENTALLY DISABLED.  THEN THEY GO HOME TO FAMILIES THAT AREN'T PSYCHIATRISTS AND HAD NO IDEA THAT ONCE THEIR LOVED ONE WENT TO THE MILITARY SERVICE THAT THEY WOULD NEVER GET THAT LOVED ONE BACK. IN OTHER WORDS, THEY WOULD GET SOMEONE BACK THAT IS NOT THE SAME AS WHEN THEY LEFT.   

CIVILIANS DON'T UNDERTAND THAT THE WORSE THING TO DO WITH SOMONE WHO IS MENTALLY ILL, IS TO SCREAM AT THEM.  IT JUST MAKES THINGS WORSE.

SOMEONE ON ANOTHER BOARD WROTE THAT SOLDIERS ARE ASKED TO SIGN RELEASE PAPERS SAYING THAT THEY ARE WELL ENOUGH TO GO HOME, WHICH IS UNFAIR BECAUSE WE CAN'T DIAGNOSE OURSELVES. 

Replied By: blisspa on Feb 8, 2014, 1:54AM
I was disappointed that I never really heard the wife speak until 49 minutes into the show.  The husband dominated with his ranting and rambling.  There is so much more to this story that we, the viewers, never discovered because Ron was allowed to dominate the ...can't even call it a discussion...monologue.  If he behaved that way on the Dr. Phil show (and why was that allowed?) I can't even imagine trying to have a conversation with him without cameras and a mediator.  I am worried for the safety of his wife and child.  I believe the Aunt who said he is a rage-aholic.  At the very least he needs to be on medication and they both need counseling.  As for the neighbor, he may think that it's all about the wife, but let me say that she may be venting outside because it's the only "safe" space she has from a closet abuser who prefers to do damage inside walls with closed windows and doors where no-one else can hear, but plays the 'nice guy' in public.  Maybe she didn't give the best answer to "what would you want your marraige to be" but after chronic abuse and living in fear her answer may be completely reasonable.  I thought Dr. P. was in touch with how people speak when coming from a place of fear, but I am not so sure on this one.  I remember just praying for a relationship where my knees didn't shake at 3:17 each afternoon.  I wasn't praying for paradise, just to be free of the fear and intimidation.

Replied By: alton428 on Feb 8, 2014, 12:52AM - In reply to bignosycat
Thank you.

Replied By: bexbennett on Feb 8, 2014, 12:41AM - In reply to trish3083
youthat's you say arguing in front of the kids isn't something to be called on. Well maybe it should be cos there's a lot of screwed up kids out there. Obviously they can't all be taken away from the parents but they could be required to learn some better communication skills. I'd be grateful for some help if it benefitted my kids and my relationship!

Showing 1-10 of total 157 Comments