Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Dr. Phil speaks exclusively to Erin Caffey, who is serving two life sentences plus 25 years for plotting a brutal attack on her family that left her mother and two younger brothers dead. In the early morning hours of March 1, 2008, two intruders, armed with a .22-caliber pistol and a samurai sword, entered the family’s home and killled Erin’s mother, Penny, and brothers, Matthew, 13, and Tyler, 8, before setting the house on fire. Her father, Terry, suffered multiple gunshot wounds but managed to escape through a window and crawl to a neighbor’s house. Authorities say that Erin, who was 16 at the time, conspired with her boyfriend, 19-year-old Charlie Wilkinson, and two others, Charles Waid, 20, and Bobbi Johnson, 18, to kill her parents -- because they didn’t approve of her relationship with Charlie. For the first time, Erin speaks out about what happened that night. Did she really want her family dead? Or, was she the victim of puppy love gone terribly wrong? Plus, Terry opens up about the horrific ordeal. Why does he say he’s forgiven everyone involved? And, does he believe his daughter’s account of what happened? As Dr. Phil pokes holes in Erin’s story, will Terry change his mind about his daughter’s role in the killings? Don’t miss this explosive two-part series!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: katakozmy on Feb 18, 2014, 11:43AM
she is clearly a " Psychopath ", and she will never be able to get "normal" .. i think Dr. Phil needs to study psychopathic behavior and how that condition works...  She has all the characteristic´s, and she was fakeing remorse and tears. and she didnt cry 99% nor show any type of emotions normal person whould do. there was few tears only when he showed her pic's of her father near life then death, she even smiles and laughs more through the interview then "get upset".... so... it frustrates me hearing Dr.Phil say she is anti-social.. cuz clearly she aint :) she is Psychopathic .. that dont have to be negitive thing, she just went wrong way with it. she could have use it for her success in live. 

but love your show Dr.phil

Thanks,

Katrín Hill from Iceland

Replied By: scrapiron on Feb 17, 2014, 7:43PM - In reply to dbigler
Your take on this is very interesting.  As a mental health professional, why do you say love and forgiveness are choices and not mandates?  I can understand why it would be hard to forgive this girl; but, I also believe that forgiveness is really for the victim's "whole" well-being. That young lady is going to continue to be the  sociopath she is; so why should the victim continue to foster unhealthy emotions?

Replied By: galja21 on Feb 8, 2014, 7:32AM
What has to happen to a kid that it gets such horrible thought? there is no doubt that she planned it and went through with it, but my question is what has to happen in a childs brain that he/she starts thinking this way?

Replied By: bkrbb11 on Feb 7, 2014, 6:49PM
Hi Dr. Phil

I did enjoy watching the show on Monday and Tuesday that was the two part show about Erin Caffey. I am ex-Army military police, civilian corrections and security officer. I have spent over thirty years working in some form of law enforcement, corrections/incarceration and security.

I used to live in Texas and did work at the "Hill Top" unit where she is being housed. As you interviewed her I was watching her facial expressions and actions when answering. I interacted on a daily basis with the worst of the worst at that unit. I learned that you watch them and I was able to tell if they were lying, had no emotion one way or the other, did not care and was telling you the truth. 

I must say I was impressed with you and your composure toward Erin. I sensed that she was lying and really did not want to tell the truth. Is she sorry for what happened. Just by watching her, "Yes, she is sorry that the job was not done right on the father. Other than that she is not one bit sorry. As far as her story about wanting to leave with the boyfriend; she wanted to just be out of the house when everything went down that way when asked she could actually say she was not there and did not know what happened.

Yes she was the mastermind behind the entire murder and arson. She just did not expect any witnesses that would live through all of this to testify. I can see it in her actions, hesitations thinking about what she has said before and what she will say now. It is a big game to her and she will keep playing her games. She does need psychiatric help in the worst way. I doubt she will ever tell the real truth as to how this came about.

Thank You Dr. Phil

Sincerely,

Bkrbb11

Replied By: drakcots on Feb 5, 2014, 9:07AM
This was two hours of my life I won't get back.  Nothing changed.  The girl did not admit her part in the murders and the father is still in denial.  What, exactly, was the point of this show?  It did not educate or answer any questions.  It wasn't even edited to be particularly interesting.  It reminded me of the news blurbs we get during the day to make us watch the news and then when it comes on, it's 10 seconds of nothing.

Replied By: rain6171 on Feb 5, 2014, 8:53AM
This show stunned me .  I found it disturbing and to myself it was obvious that Erin has severe mental health issues . I noticed with certain questions she would behave as if she was indeed a well rounded young lady polite soft spoken and then in a moments notice she had a strange glazed expression and her mannerisms shifted. Listening to this was like watching a horror movie with the exception of this was real!  I feel she needs to stay where she is now.  Bless her Father for all he has gone through and continues to struggle with. I truly can not even phathom how this man closes his eyes at night to sleep.

Replied By: bonniez45 on Feb 4, 2014, 11:46PM - In reply to ullakastrup
Valid point you have made and why was that pointed out in this program.

Replied By: dbigler on Feb 4, 2014, 7:13PM
Sweet, young Erin is a sociopath, guys.  I'm  a licensed therapist and it's not hard to spot a sociopath--therapist or not.  I truly believe that she orchestrated the slaughter of her entire family...as somone else said OOPS that Dad survived, right Erin??  You are where you belong, and may God not have mercy on your soul.  We all know that you had no mercy for your father, mother, and two brothers.

Forgiveness is too often expected when it has not been earned.  It is possible to move on from painful experiences without forgiving the offender.  Society pushes both forgiveness and unconditional love as though they must be extended irregardless of the circumstances or behavior choices. 

People are afraid to judge others who committ horrible acts that injure and main other people.  Some people are BAD people who do BAD things, and to label them anything other than BAD is delusional.  Without judgment in our society, there is no order or moral code. 

If my child was involved in organizing the slaughter of myself, my spouse and my other children, I would most certainly not offer forgiveness. 

I would also not be able to love a child who was a murderer. I would cease my relationship with that child forever.  My love would extend to the family members that were murdered.

By the way, I've worked with patients who have had unspeakable things done to them, and some have chosen the path of forgiveness and others haven't.  The ones who have not forgiven find just as much freedom and healing as the ones that did forgive.

Love and forgiveness are choices, not mandates.  I would not choose to extend either to my child in this situation.

My condolences to the father, Terry, and the extended family members.

Replied By: spangles7 on Feb 4, 2014, 5:05PM
Thank you Dr. Phil for putting it out there like it is!! I worked with Penny. She just started at the Meals On Wheels as a route driver. She was the sweetest thing and always smiling. She just happened to mention to me, just a few days before her murder, about her and Terry were concerned about Erin and Charlie. She found a note in her backpack saying that her and her friend were going to say they were spending the night at each other's homes but instead go out with thier boyfriends....
I believe Erin is a monster. How can you not be if you plan on the massacre of your family. I just hope Terry got it! It was very hard for me to watch the show. Penny still holds a spot in my heart. She was such a pleasure to know!

Replied By: debbiann31 on Feb 4, 2014, 4:57PM
I guess I don't understand, so I have some questions. First of all, did the father write to Dr. Phil for help? If he did then I totally understand where Dr. Phil is going with this show. But reguardless of that fact. Why does Dr. Phil feel that he needs to have the dad come to a realization that his daughter was the master mind of this horrific act of violence on his show? This man lost everything he loved! I feel deep down the dad knows the truth of what his daughter did. He needs to come to that closure on his time. Not at the pushing of Dr. Phil, or because Dr. Phil thinks it is time. We all know healing and closure comes when the mind and the soul are ready to accept the truth in a horrible situation like this. And no Dr. Phil I don't think his family in heaven is asking the dad why don't you see the truth? I believe they are saying. Love her! We have already forgiven her.

Showing 1-10 of total 77 Comments