Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Dr. Phil continues his intervention with 18-year-old Sara, who is seven months pregnant and admits to smoking cigarettes and marijuana daily and using crack and heroin. She says she’s not addicted and claims her 20-year-old sister, Sadie, who is also abusing drugs, is a bad influence on her. When Dr. Phil presses Sara for answers, she confesses that she and her sister used cocaine the night before the show. How does she explain her choices? Does she realize the effect her drug use could have on her unborn child? Dr. Phil shows Sara shocking video of babies who were born addicted -- will it make an impact? Then, Dr. Charles Sophy, director of Los Angeles Department of Children and Family Services, and Areva Martin, attorney and child advocate, have words of warning for the expectant mom. Will they serve as a wake-up call before she loses her baby or ends up in jail? Plus, Dr. Phil issues the siblings an ultimatum -- what will they choose? (OAD: 1-28-14)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: bhunter913 on Jul 25, 2014, 9:10PM
did they stay in treatment and was the baby boy ok when he was born.

Replied By: mollyroberta on Jul 25, 2014, 8:39PM
Hi Dr Phil,

Thankyou for an amazing show.......I too have two daughters that are Addicts - one an alcoholic, clean and sober six and a half years,  and the other, the mother of my granddaughter, a crack addict. She has been in and out of recovery homes, programs, mental wards, and she is unable to stay sober.  Her daughter is in the care of her father, a good man, who has been a rock for that little girl for the three years of her life. 

every saturday he dops my granddaughter off at her mothers current recovery house, and every Saturday I pray that my precious granddaughter will be safe. That her mother wont use, that the child wont be placed in harms way.  

Thanks for being ypu, Dr Phil.

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Jul 25, 2014, 8:27PM
I watched the second instalment of this story and all I heard from Sara and Sadie was "junkie speak", particularly from Sara. It was nothing but the usual deflection and minimizing. Everyone was lying but she was telling the truth. One minute she plays dumb about the effects of the drugs on her baby, to garner sympathy for being an idiot, I guess, five minutes later she claims to know all about it. She doesn't abuse her mother because, golly, she doesn't use every single curse word every single time she lashes out at her mother. And then came the usual laundry list of excuses for not going to rehab..."too far from home", "I don't like to travel", "can't I do just random drug testing?". Her notion that she, as an uneducated teen, can get a job substantial enough to raise her son and support herself shows how delusional she is. And if he does have special needs, all would be fine because she would "love the sh*t out of him". How heroic.

Then comes Sadie, who says she wants her "life back." Faced with up to a year in treatment, she defiantly demands how she can be expected to leave her "frickin' life" for a year. So just what does she want? She then turns her wrath on her boyfriend (more deflection), as if he's the villain to not want to live with a junkie and a thief. And this self-admitted 100% junkie maintains she hasn't used for two weeks? Does she think she has any credibility?

All I heard were two pathetic junkies spewing the usual verbal diarrhea, trying to justify themselves while blaming others. Sara doesn't even want to give up her drugs and Sadie is half-hearted about it. Neither is ready to begin the process of recovery.

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Jul 25, 2014, 8:05PM - In reply to parrallax10
...that neither of them lasted a week in rehab. They said "yes" to get the spotlight off of them but neither of them really recognized that they needed help. Going to rehab was just an opportunity to get off that stage.

Replied By: laurababy88 on Jul 25, 2014, 7:23PM - In reply to tenjam
A lot of us are wondering.......

Replied By: laurababy88 on Jul 25, 2014, 7:22PM
What is the status on pregnant girl hooked in drugs along w her sister?

Replied By: sanch26 on Jul 25, 2014, 6:24PM
Great show if your plan was to scare teens and adults from entering treatment!  I work with substance abusers daily NYC  and most if not all are hard core substance abusers.  Yes 26 years of treating substance abuse if you’re wondering. Personally I think you should remain with the private more refined population; people your accustomed to  treating.  Your guest chastising the girls, are possibly policy makers and really not on the front line of treatment. Of course she will go to the rehab with the other abusers after she was threatened with jail. Wouldn’t you go? Oh, let us know what ever happened to the drug abuser you sent to rehab with a new car (another of your aired shows on drug abuse). We know the child she is carrying is very important but so is the girl carrying child. Liking yourself, understanding why your addicted, your options, family, friends and environmental changes are more productive to  their well being and stability. So staying in a familiar area and understanding triggers of substance abuse is much more productive.  If mother and child don’t bond you just produce another dysfunctional family. Adoption doesn’t always show good results.

Well, let me know when she breaks out of rehab because you will be lucky to get a month.  Instead of talking about jail lets monitor the mother and girls with the help of a therapist and medicine. As you know there are several of both, therapist and medicine. The total family is in need of help! Not a staged circus as I watched today for ratings and a clap from an audience that doesn’t understand addiction or what privacy and confidentially is all about. They probably didn’t read the release they signed most substance abuser can’t understand it. Because they are not in the right frame of mind or high on drugs. Did you see their faces and their mother’s ready to cry when you planned  to put them in jail? Someone should be treated and someone held accountable but you figure that out.

Replied By: tenjam on Jul 25, 2014, 5:55PM
What happened to Sara, her baby and her sister?

Replied By: schlich on Jul 25, 2014, 5:30PM - In reply to laurieluvsjr88
I too watched this for the second time. I really would like to know about the baby. What is it boy or girl? Where is the baby? Who is looking after him/her?

Replied By: harrisa on Jul 25, 2014, 5:22PM
My adopted daughter is now dying and on hospice due to her mom using drugs while pregnant with her. Biological mom used cocaine (and more) early in her pregnancy and my Lilly had a stroke in the uterus and the whole upper part of her brain died and was reabsorbed. She is now nine and because she can no longer regulate her body or absorb her tube feeds she now weighs 23 lbs. My heart breaks as I hold my dying child. Thanks for doing a show that points out the real victims of this legal abuse.
Alice

Showing 1-10 of total 200 Comments