Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Heather says her 19-year-old daughter, Nicki, has a history of lying and has faked two pregnancies and even fabricated a childbirth -- and she fears for her daughter’s mental stability. She says Nicki, who lives out-of-state, sent her pictures of her protruding belly and a newborn -- whom she named Aubrie -- and even requested hand-knitted clothing for the infant. Nicki admits that she lied about the first pregnancy but insists she really was pregnant the second time -- but had an abortion and was too scared to tell her mom. Emotions run high when Nicki faces her family on Dr. Phil’s stage. Why did she take the deception so far? And, where are the medical records supporting her claims? Heather says she and her husband, David, were devastated when they learned the truth -- and they don’t believe Nicki was ever pregnant. Nicki agrees to take a polygraph test -- what will the results reveal? And, how can this family move forward and learn to trust Nicki again?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: atall1 on Jan 27, 2014, 3:30PM
Dr. Phil is a superb advocate 95% of the time when it comes to respectfully referring to those with mental illness diagnoses.  When things come out of his mouth they are ok.  The problem I wish could be fixed is that I have seldom if ever seen him correct or admonish guests for refering to those with Depression or Bipolar or the like as "crazys" or other offensive stereotypes.  Organizations like Joey Pants's and NAMI are trying....but you have the platform every day....Dr. Phil could do it often and consistantly with little effort and have a huge impact. but he doesn't.....

In this particular episode the mother said, " I don't know if she's stable (fair comment). For all I know she could be some crazy bipolar person and cut/rip a baby out of a pregnant woman's womb."   Now I totally get the priority here is helping an obviously troubled young lady; but this is a real teachable moment in a time and country where there is still such an ignorance and stigma about a mental illness diagnosis.  

To allow the disrespect of what that woman said to all with bipolar not to mention allow the world to assume that those with bipolar act that way, which is a falsehood, is horribley irresponsible - mostly because people have the impression Dr. Phil doesn't miss correcting a thing!  How about the fact that it would take someone experiencing a significant psycological break, or a dellusional psychopath, or someone hopped up on a frightening cocktail of chemicals to cut open a woman for a baby.....not somone living with bipoalar disorder......and niether would the thousands of those with bipolar tothers who suffer in pain with mental illness through no fault of their own..

I'm disappointed in you.....

Replied By: sparklesnspice on Jan 27, 2014, 1:11PM
There are hurting women everywhere who are suffering the guilt and pain of past abortions, and for this teenage girl to pretend she had one just ticks me off. Don't pretend to be where these women have been. Please accept the help and stop lying about serious stuff.

Replied By: KateBauer on Jan 27, 2014, 11:47AM - In reply to boysof3
Clearly the whole family has serious issues.  If the mother is now married for the 3rd time and seems to have made most of the mistakes her daugher made, I guess I just have to say, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree".  Nicki needs to grow up and stop lying.  This family needs to take the help Dr. Phil has so kindly offered.

Replied By: another2cents on Jan 26, 2014, 4:52AM
When will society start looking towards fathers, peer pressure and other significant characteres having an influence in how peole behave, I'm not saying that this mother had nothing to do with her daughter's behaviour.  I've had issues with my parents as well. But there comes a time in your life when you have to deal with the hand you've been dealt and start owning your behaviour. It's become a cop out for children and adult children to blame all their shortcomings on someone else rather than own it. Society makes it that much easier by always blaming the mother in particluar.

Replied By: loyalalways on Jan 26, 2014, 4:18AM
I was very pleased with Dr. Phil today. He always seems to stick up with the teen, regardless of what they've done. He actually surprised me today by putting this girl in her place. She lied right up to the end, and to Dr. Phil. It's not easy to fool Dr. Phil, but she really thought that she could do it. I don't believe a word that she says.

Then she started giving excuses for her behaviour. She used some of the excuses that Dr;. Phil always gives bratty teens when they're on his show. He's the expert and knows what he's doing, but I really question how he handles troubled teens, especially if they only have a single mother showing up on the show.

Nicki even claimed abuse by her parents. That's a HUGE lie that could even cause her parents to lose custody of their other children if CPS got wind of it. That aunt is just as bad as Nicki. She went on the show to hurt her sister. She claimed they moved around too much. However, Heather is in the military. There are LOTS of kids in the military and they don't lie like this girl.

I think that Nicki needs to grow up and her aunt neecds to mind her own damn business.

Replied By: boysof3 on Jan 25, 2014, 9:22PM
I get so tired of everything always being blamed on the parents.  What happened to the old saying, "you've got to rise above your raisin'"?  Many, Many people have been raised in imperfect situations, including my dad.  Life and how you live it is a choice.  Quit blaming parents for everything.

Replied By: swiggie7 on Jan 25, 2014, 5:52PM
this girl pissed me off, stuck to the lies till the end. no regards for family or friends then wonders why she has none, doesnt seem to care either. i wouldnt let her come back home esp after dr. phil gave her that one last chance to come clean and she still is continuing to lie. i dont blame the parents, she is a adult and should act accordingly and be held responsible for her actions!

Replied By: upsydasy on Jan 25, 2014, 11:43AM - In reply to manitu17
Thank you for writing this insightful and sensitive post.  I usually reply every day but couldn’t find the right words this time until I read your comment.  It also angered me to watch this mother kick her daughter after she was knocked down and humiliated.  Unfortunately, she looked surprised and bewildered when Dr. Phil put his hand up and so I’m not sure that she got the message.  Being in the right seems to be of such supreme importance to her that she can’t find it in herself to be loving or sympathetic.  I wish these self-opinionated parents would understand that apologizing to your children doesn’t mean they’ll lose authority over them, if that’s the only kind of relationship they wish to have with their children.  As I said to my own daughter the other day: "I must have looked pretty stupid standing there with my foot in my mouth - I'm sorry" and was rewarded with the most beautiful, heartwaming smile I've ever seen. Dr. Phil is constantly getting criticized for being hard on the mothers, but when you look at their offspring you can’t help but note that they didn’t just become dysfunctional on their own - they had help.

Replied By: justameemawx3 on Jan 25, 2014, 8:11AM - In reply to nancydl1
I just posted almost the same thing.  This indeed is a very complex situation.  There's more to this story than what was given in the short time.  I looked at the 19 year old...oh hell yes she knows she's cooked like a goose with Dr. Phil.  The mother OMG please...what a wench without an emotional tie to her daughter.The sister of the Mother is in some hot water there.  I saw that stink eye she gave when the sister called her out. Nope there's much more to this story than we will see for a very long time. Hope Dr. Phil does a follow up.

Replied By: justameemawx3 on Jan 25, 2014, 8:05AM
Talk about being imtimadated.  Wow.  That expression on her face said it all.  She showed that there are going to repercussions for her speaking out.  Thats the sister.  I can only imagine with the daughter what is running thru her head.  This mother is no cream puff....she's got the bully tactics down pat.  Military huh!  I'll just bet there's sooooooooooo much more to this story than we could even imagine.

Showing 1-10 of total 28 Comments