Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Brandi and her fiancé of eight years, Chet, say that they’re on the verge of splitting up because of the constant tension and fighting caused by Brandi’s 20-year-old son, Andrew, whom they call a “moocher.” They say that Andrew is unemployed, sleeps all day, rarely showers, and is so lazy that he urinates in bottles and throws away his dishes, rather than wash them. Chet claims that Andrew also lies and steals -- and insists that he’s ready to move out if Brandi doesn’t kick her son to the curb immediately. Andrew admits that he has stolen loose change and that he’s lazy and sometimes sloppy, but says, “What kid isn’t?” He claims that he would like to get out of his mother’s house, but says he has no money and nowhere to go. Is Andrew ready to stop making excuses -- and start taking responsibility for his own life? Plus, Brandi admits that she has made life very comfortable for Andrew by giving him money, doing his laundry -- and even applying for jobs on his behalf. Is she helping her son -- or is she enabling him? Dr. Phil offers the family advice for starting fresh. Can Andrew learn to survive on his own? And, how can Brandi and Chet begin to heal the damage done to their relationship? Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s special surprises to help the couple reconnect!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: gingerwoman on Dec 2, 2014, 11:28AM - In reply to nenni43
Has he ever been tested for learning disabilities? Plus he went through some kind of abuse from the previous step Dad.

Replied By: goldenbeach on Mar 29, 2014, 12:08AM
Why didn't Dr Phil address the pot-smoking?   The young man was obviously under the effects of something.  Hookah lounge?  Sure.  I know what's smoked in hookas.

Replied By: earlybirdie on Feb 2, 2014, 12:10AM
I just watched this episode. Unreal to see all these posts by people (obviously people with perfect parenting skills, flawless children or no children!) bashing this Mom Brandi and her Son. What about that eff'n bully sitting beside her, just playing the role of victim? Ya, that one freaking over his socks...and ya, that same one who had no problem saying to the world, if he could - he'd shoot his fiancé's Son!!! That is the limit! If I were Brandi, I would dump HIS a** bcuz just his pie-hole/attitude alone ain't of any benefit to Brandi, her Son or the entire situation; I don't care what any counsellor or any "Dr. Phils" out there say! Its the truth! For her to keep that type of person around now while shes attempting to work on herself AND also cope with the difficult decision of having to kick her Son out, will only add to an already stressful situation. Kicking her Son out is not going to be easy for Brandi. It'll probably be one of the most difficult thing shes ever done. You have to remember, Brandi enabling her Son, protecting him, doing his chores time and again just cuz its easier for her to do it, plus just so to keep the peace with her fiancé, etc is the ONLY life this Mom and Son have known - for years!! Someone can't just stop being that way in one day...and you'd have to have a black heart to just kick someone like Andrew, out! Yes hes 20, but hes obviously got little to no life skills! Animals don't even treat their offspring like that! Think about it!! Anyhow, this "Man", Chet, is debating on leaving the relationship/not marrying Brandi bcuz of her Son? Well how dumb is he? He contributed to this as well; to alot of this as he has been present in their lives for several years right; not one or two years. I wonder now just how long hes been belittling Andrew? I can almost guarantee it wasn't just for the past year, but years! So if anything, Brandi needs to kick Chet to the curb so her and her Son can repair/heal together, despite Andrew being 20+, having a diploma, etc.; blood IS thicker than water (*with of course, Brandi still following thru on helping Andrew gain some life skills and transitions into living on his own, smoothly. Not just a hardcore, out the door approach!)

I also think a lot of you people on here that are quick to bash Brandi and her Son (Yes you with the immaculate parenting skills and flawless children or no children at all!) should be ashamed of yourselves. Have either of you thought, at all, that Andrew may of been (or is) hurt, from the inside (depression, stressed, low self-esteem etc) stemming from all hes been thru? Like c'mon, it would be dumb to believe he wouldn't of developed any, or all, of those mental health issues. Oh you don't believe he has either, that he was just born lazy, spoiled, etc? C'mon! What child (remember, he was a child when he was with his Mom and bio Father) can survive in a dysfunctional home (the way Brandi described it, it didn't sound good at all) and also go thru the emotions at a young age, of his parents divorce - to having his Mom immediately protect/enable him afterwards (and for years) - to having a stepfather react the way he does towards him and just magically rise above all that as a mature 20 year old with keen life skills???!!! Yes I realize that theres lots of people that go thru worst traumatizing things in life and haven't even came close to "turning out" like Andrew. Well News Flash! Not everyone is the same! Not everyone is impacted to the same degree. Not everyone had/has a Mom who's enabling and is always in protective mode.

I am so routing for Brandi and Andrew. I truly wish them the best and hope this Mom and Son get the help they desperately need and it all works out for them. If her and that "Man" decided to stay together after-all, well, I hope he received help and that him and Andrew work on repairing their relationship as that too is hugely important.

Sure would be interesting to see an Update!

Replied By: nenni43 on Jan 29, 2014, 8:27AM
Dr Phil, i just watched this episode and i feel disappointed to some degree with how you dealt with Andrew. It is clear to me that he has limitations. It was stated that he has been through trauma-replay that tape and look at Andrew's facial expressions when Mom acknowledges that. There are clearly mental health issues at play, not simply laziness. And it might not be such a bad thing to acknowledge people's courage for going through this process to get help. Nice gifting to the family in the end though. I love watching your shows, but sometimes i think you overlook the impact of trauma. & i hopeRobindoesgetinvolved as a resource, not justabook. This family needs it before Chet does break bad. Thanks for reading....

Replied By: jb1771 on Jan 28, 2014, 5:10PM - In reply to jim551
This is a 20 year old grown man.  He should be out on his own. There is no excuse for him to be caught up in his mother's relationship because he shouldn't even be around the situation. He has made a decision to hang around and be caught up in it and that is no one's fault but his own.  As Dr. Phil stated, this is an able bodied guy with a high school diploma. There is no reason to still be living at home and not out getting a better job and finding an apartment with a buddy. This man needs someone to push him towards independence. He does not need  pity or coddling. He got too much of that from his mother already and look what good that did him. None.

Replied By: dwarren41 on Jan 26, 2014, 7:35AM - In reply to jolynn70
Yes, Dr. Phil made sense. I too am the parent with a lack of control. I understand Brandi's delima. I felt like that was me sitting in that chair listening to Dr. Phil's advice. guilt , yes absolutely...blame myself yes. I wish Brandi luck and I'm glad for her that Dr. Phil can help.

Replied By: swiggie7 on Jan 25, 2014, 7:27PM
while i do agree this is half of moms fault, the kid is dead. greasy, slimy, jobless pissing in bottles and throwing away dishes? i wouldve thrown him out years ago. sorry excuse for a human being. i dont get these parents who coddle these kids and dont prepare them for reality, youre not doing them any favors, youre actually hurting them.

Replied By: cupid2011 on Jan 25, 2014, 11:57AM - In reply to jessiebelly
I SIGNED UP FOR AN ADULT CLASS WITHOUT REALIZING THAT I WAS ACTUALLY GOING TO BE IN A HIGH SCHOOL CLASSROOM.    THIS WAS A CLASS OF 30 HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS.  NONE OF THEM STUDIED OR TOOK SCHOOL SERIOUSLY AND NONE OF THEM HAD ANY PLANS TO EVER MOVE OUT OF HOME OR TO GO TO COLLEGE.  ALL EXCEPT ONE KID. HE WAS THE ONLY ONE BESIDES THE ADULTS  WHO DID HIS HOMEWORK AND HAD PLANS TO GO TO COLLEGE. THE TEACHER GAVE US THE ANSWERS TO THE TEST THE DAY BEFORE AND ALL THE KIDS HAD TO DO WAS REMEMBER THE ANSWERS. MOST OF THE STUDENTS RECEIVED  D GRADES.   ALL THE STUDENTS BELIEVED THEY WOULD BE LIVING AT HOME FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES BECAUSE THEIR PARENTS DID NOT EXPECT THEM TO MOVE OUT.

Replied By: jessiebelly on Jan 24, 2014, 8:52PM
come on people why always blame the mother for not being a good parent no ones knows what this lady went through with this kid or what she went through in life. The kid is the way he is because he wants to be just because a child grows up in a not so perfect world shouldnt be a excuse for him to do the things that he do !!!!  Its time for this kid to grow the HELL UP and stop being so damn nasty!!!!

Replied By: nancydl1 on Jan 24, 2014, 3:32PM
Their job is to raise their children and prepare them to step out into the world. This is something that has to begin almost as soon as a child begins to walk and talk, and it is NOT done with criticism and rules, it's done with incentives and encouragement.

My three kids were certainly not problem-free, but when they reached the age of responsibility, or even before, they ware raring to get out there in the world and make their marks. And this was not because I was harsh with them. It was because, from a very early age, they helped around the house because they WANTED to, they liked the praise, and smiles and occasional rewards that resulted. And even when it would have been much less trouble for me to do the chores myself, I let them help.

I agree with the viewer who said that she wished we had been able to hear from the young man. His perspective is crucial! It's not possible to reach a constructive solution without hearing from him.

Showing 1-10 of total 112 Comments