Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Stefany says her 17-year-old daughter, Emily, is battling an eating disorder and can’t stop chewing and spitting her food into plastic bags and hoarding them in her room. She says the teen has been suffering from eating disorders since age 5, and after several trips to the hospital for dehydration, she fears Emily will die if she doesn’t get help. Emily’s stepfather, Dan, says the stress of the situation is tearing their family apart, and he blames Stefany for her daughter’s condition -- but why? Will Stefany take any ownership of the situation? Emily admits she is embarrassed and ashamed of her eating disorder but says she can’t stop, and at 103 pounds, she says she wants to lose more weight -- with her goal being 70 or 80 pounds. What’s at the root of her self-destructive behavior? Dr. Rachael Ross, co-host of The Doctors, joins Dr. Phil to open Emily’s eyes to the dangers she is facing and encourage her to get help. Will she grab onto the lifeline that Dr. Phil offers?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: kim122264 on Jan 17, 2014, 12:12AM
I kind of feel bad for both of them. I went through the same thing with my son. He was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD, and what a nightmare. It was horrible and i was also a single parent and my daughter was diagnosed with kidney disease at a young age which took alot of my time. so i'm thinking maybe some of it could be jealousy. I really didnt know how to deal with my son. At i believe 12 it seemed like he was running the show and with so much on my plate i was exausted. And like the mom on tv i didnt stick with any disipline. To me it was easier to give in then to have to deal with him, but it just continued to get worse and almost sent him off to a boot camp or i thought about writing Dr. Phil. So what i did was go to counseling with him.and than i started doing alot of reading how a kid with ODD behaves and how to handle it. so between that and counseling i finally started understanding. It wasnt just a "His" problem or "Me" is was OUR problem. We had to learn to work together as a family to figure this out, and because a kid with ODD likes to argue and will never be wrong you learn to pick your battles. Some are small and really dont matter much so just let it go. Your not really giving in but its also teaching him he doesnt need to argue all the time. And also another one i found was great help was if i started getting really frustrated and wanted to just scream i gave myself a time out to relax and re think the situation. And now hes 17 and graduating this year and even though we have problems off and on but very minimal he now will do the same thing, He'll go to his room when feeling frustsrated, and i have to say looking back i never thought i would get to this point.Hes done a complete turn around in the last 2 years.

Replied By: caitiej64 on Jan 15, 2014, 11:09PM - In reply to blgspc
This episode just grossed me out more than any Dr. Phil show. I found it so repulsive and disgusting and sad. I know Emilhy can get better and I'm glad she is getting help.

Replied By: blgspc on Jan 15, 2014, 6:18PM
I was particularly moved when Emily finally agreed to accept the help that was offered and the ENTIRE family were spontaneously on their feet with their arms around Emily! Actions ALWAYS speak volumes more than mere words can convey and THAT FAMILY WAS BLASTING EMILY WITH PURE LOVE! 

Replied By: mom2pugz on Jan 15, 2014, 12:13PM
There are so many unanswered questions I have regarding this show.  First and foremost, many of Dr. Phil's guests have step-parents.  Where is this young girl's dad?  Why did the mother only rely on her at 8 years old to take care of her?  Where is the mom's family?  Does anyone think even rejection from her bio dad could have something to do with this?  Dr. Phil can be tough, it is unfortunate that the mom is damaged as well and perhaps never had the help they are trying to get for their daughter.  If the mom is mentally ill why attack her for what is going on with her child?  She admitted it and took blame, let's not kick a dead horse and move on for God's sake.  I loved the girl's insight to her problem, but yet wanted to hang on to it and that scared me for her.  I loved when she said Dr. Phil's name was on the tissue, but then he had to ego it up by saying his name was everywhere on stage.  Ok we get it Phil, I love ya, but come on now.  You're famous and we know it.  I just wish more can be put into these stories and less commercials.

Replied By: aimeek on Jan 15, 2014, 10:31AM
what a great response from Dr.Phil. She was asking for advice after being offered help to overcome her eating disorder. I thought maybe Dr. Phil would have responded with a lecture with how she is going to die. Be yet he gave a simple humble and gentle response to " at the end of our life we wont regret the moments we said yes too but the ones we said no too." and I have heard him say this before on the show. But it was the perfect response, the perfest thing to say at the most critical moment. I had chills and it was amazing to witness.

Replied By: dogluver1970 on Jan 15, 2014, 2:48AM - In reply to tiogan
You're 64 and STILL denying that you have an eating disorder?? Why do you think you even posted on this message board, for one, if you didn't know, at least on a certain level, that getting down to 70 lbs in America is almost impossible, unless it's intentional (whether you want to accept it or not). I know for a fact that in 1970 there was welfare, food banks, etc., even if "food stamps" weren't utilized like they are now (besides, did you know that the obesity rate in those receiving food stamps is much higher than in those from middle class and upper middle class families??). I don't know what your situation is now, but it's never to late to get help...

Replied By: dogluver1970 on Jan 15, 2014, 2:42AM - In reply to alexandria1991
but just curious, when you say that you binge and purge 'sometimes,' how often is that? And do you take laxatives every day?? Do you realize that if you take laxatives on a regular basis (the ones that stimulate, not soften stools), your colon can become 'addicted' to them, and not function well, if you stop the laxatives (and can cause many health problems). I just think you might be fooling yourself, because you DO eat, and perhaps only purge a few times a week. I wouldn't be able to make a diagnosis without knowing you, but again, I think you should go over everything you take (drug wise) and eat with your doctor. Just so you know, I'm a licensed clinical social worker and I actually specialize in eating disorders...

Replied By: dogluver1970 on Jan 15, 2014, 2:36AM - In reply to drewdle
is that it sounds like you only do it every now and then (like, when you're craving sweets) and you still EAT. Emily does it with mounds of food and barely swallows (though she definitely 'chews down' enough calories, because she doesn't look TOO skinny - just slim). It's all about whether a behavior completely overtakes your life/thoughts - it sounds as though you're functioning just fine as a productive member of society. She's not - that's why in her case it's pathological.

Replied By: blgspc on Jan 15, 2014, 12:20AM - In reply to jennef
That's an acronym for 'Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus', the superbug or infection. MRSA is resistant to almost ALL of the antibotics used to treat bacterial infections. MRSA has a high mortality rate

MSRA kills..

Replied By: calgarymomof2 on Jan 15, 2014, 12:17AM
For anybody that thinks this young girl is an attention seeker, you obviously don't know anything about eating disorders.  Nobody would go to THAT extreme for attention.  She obviously needs help.  She broke my heart.  My daughter same age as this young girl, also has an eating disorder.  It takes a MAJOR toll on the the family and it makes me sick that you would downgrade her disorder. At the end of the show when she broke down in tears, it was so sad-that's not someone looking for attention.  Think before you speak

Showing 1-10 of total 42 Comments