Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Kristen says her nieces, Danielle, 15, and Jessica, 18, are angry, violent, out-of-control teens who drink and use drugs -- and she blames her sister, Michelle, for their bad behavior. She claims Michelle is a bad mother who has no idea how to raise kids, and as a result, her nieces are on self-destruct. She says the girls will physically fight anyone for the slightest offense and have been expelled from school for attacking their classmates. Kristen also says they’ve been admitted to mental health facilities multiple times for suicide attempts and cutting -- and she fears someone could end up dead. Michelle says she’s tried her hardest to parent her daughters but is at her wits’ end and simply cannot control them. Can she learn to rein them in, before it’s too late? Then, hear from Danielle and Jessica. Whom do they blame for their anger and bad behavior? Can they make a change for the better? (OAD: 1-10-14) This program contains strong language. Viewer discretion advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: chibi020 on Jun 20, 2014, 6:35AM
I found this story heart breaking. I work within academia around a team of incredible people. Some have had incredibly hard upbringings, others not, but one thing in common is that their hunger for knowledge eventually overcame everything else and they took what they had and ran with it.

These girls have dreams and desires outside of their self destruction, a whirlpool of pain and suffering that never seems to end. I really hope these ladies find a calling because they could be so much more. I really think that education and a platform provided by the family, a way for them to know how smart and useful they are to everyone, especially themselves, not their appearance and bodies which are an often used to define self worth, could be instrumental to their future success.

Fight on girls, you can become something amazing. Your childhood should not define who you are but be a learning experience. 

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Jun 16, 2014, 8:30PM
Maybe it's just the choice of who gets to be guests of Dr. Phil but I've noticed the vast majority of the out-of-control teenagers or young adults are female and their behaviour of choice is to be totally disrespectful to the entire world, be violent, to abuse drugs and alcohol and just be totally destructive...and of course blame everyone else and take no responsibility for their choices. Maybe it doesn't make for good TV but do some kids in similar circumstances (lack of parenting) not make the choice to do better than their parents, get educated and make something of themselves rather than to wallow in their own self-pity?

Replied By: burkeque on Jun 14, 2014, 12:36PM
Excellent work on pointing out the obvious with these two girls Dr. Phil.  They are very intelligent and I believe their Aunt is threatened by them as well as extremely controlling, a meddler  and ultimately does not have the best intentions at heart for them. That said, it was positive that she contacted your show.   The mother appears to be in over her head and is most likely being badgered by her sister and her mom and cannot take a stand for her daughters or herself.  I know it's been a while since the show has aired but I'd love to hear how they are doing now.  

I grew up in a household from the time I was 10 years old with a stepmother who was threatened by me and hated me. So, I can relate to what these girls feel completely. I was very promiscuous, drank heavily and held so much rage against my father and my stepmother. My mother was murdered so she was out of the picture. I was like these girls, helpless in some ways because I did not have another support system. They appear afraid and intimidated to express the positive, intelligent side of themselves. When they call out and state the truth about how they feel, they receive backlash, finger pointing and all the blame is placed on them for the problems of the family. Boy does that sound familiar. That was me. I would act out and throw temper tantrums which made me an easy target for the cause of the disfunction for the entire family. The adults in that household are pathetic.

The girls obviously have gone to the extremes of hurting and berating themselves which is too bad. I hope they will come to realize how beautiful and smart they are. I do not have a degree in psychology but have done a hell of a lot of self analysis and couseling over the years to learn to let go of my self loathing. These girls need an environment where they are supported, encouraged and most of all loved and when necessary disciplined with respect. 

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Jun 13, 2014, 7:32PM - In reply to freelandsm
freelandsm, that's the smartest post you've made in some time!

Replied By: andmere8891 on Jun 13, 2014, 5:16PM
How are these girls doing today? Watching it again was eye opening. These girls have done just about everything except for murder to get attention. The mother is clueless and at first didn't seem to care. Where is the father? Thanks for the Aunt writing to the show! There is only so much a grandmother can do, she probably doesn't want to butt heads. I wish she could have expressed more about the situation.

Replied By: kenjoy802 on Jun 13, 2014, 4:57PM
Dear Dr. Phil,

One word to describe how you conducted the interview with these girls and the "family members." Excellent! Keep up the good work!

Joyce Thomas (Author of Miracle Complete) "The Ohioan with the confirmed miracle from bipolar!

Replied By: ro0xii92 on Jun 13, 2014, 4:45PM
I feel Bad for the mother..and as far as the girls they do have many problems but nothing That cannot Be changed..I was the same,way at their age..drinking,fighting, drugs,cutting myself ,abusing prescription drugs ect...today I am 22 and I may not have the best life but I do not cut myself anymore,do not abuse prescription drugs,quit drugs,I control my anger way more now..there is hope for these girls but they need to want to change.and yes the mother needs to be behind them 100 % I did it on my own and it very hard having people who love u behind u and helping u is always easier.I hope these girls can turn there life around before iys too late..as for the ain't I think she does exaggerated something's most likely to to make herself look good.but what she don't realize iys making her look stupid.

Replied By: zipper15 on Jun 13, 2014, 4:31PM
Dr. Phil.

This is the first time I have written to this show...or any other show.  I watched you with the girls today, and I have to say, I was impressed.  I have watched you for years, and although I haven't always agreed with your conclusions, I don't have the education and insight that you do. 

But today, I believe you were a shining star. 

You gave these two girls an option, that we all know will change their lives.  But today, you showed more grace, kindness and compassion that....we have all seen from you, but today seemed different.  Your soft speaking with heart and compassion, was exactly what they needed to hear. Not the words exactly, but the concern, and care.

I don't think that the adults are bad people, maybe unschooled and uneducated, but not bad, but also, without much heart.  But that is a learned behavior, and seems obvious from Grandparent to Parent.  You learn what you know.

Kudos to you and your staff for all you do to help the world, one soul at a time. 

My blessing to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Zip Sherman

Wentzville, Missouri

Replied By: clydedog on Jun 13, 2014, 4:25PM
I would like to know what happen to the two girls,,, the teen sisters??? I hope that they turned out good , that they'er lives changed for the better,,, can someone tell me whap happen to them???

Replied By: jackie0998 on Jun 13, 2014, 4:17PM - In reply to blgspc
Oh please... queue the violins... These girl's are psychotic... I doubt its because mom let them cry for a while when they were babies

Showing 1-10 of total 100 Comments