Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

MTV Teen Mom alum Amber Portwood made headlines in 2012 when, after her arrest on drug charges, she opted for a five-year prison sentence, rather than completing court-ordered rehab. She was released in November 2013 -- almost four years early -- and now, she is opening up exclusively to Dr. Phil in her first post-prison television interview. Why did she choose prison over rehab -- and potentially sacrifice years with her now 5-year-old daughter, Leah? And, now that she’s out of prison, can she stay clean? Plus, Amber speaks out about her struggles with anger, including domestic violence charges in 2010 involving Leah’s father, her on-again, off-again boyfriend, Gary. What is their relationship like now? And, what’s their plan for raising their daughter? Plus, hear more about what’s next for Amber. Then, 23-year-old Kaylee says she was an out-of-control teen whom no one would take in -- except for one foster mother, Arlene, who helped her turn her life around. She says Arlene has helped dozens of troubled kids over the years -- even while battling cancer -- and is now struggling to make ends meet while caring for four teenage boys. Don’t miss Dr. Phil’s big surprises for this deserving foster mom! (OAD: 12-20-13)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: amber2009 on Jun 26, 2014, 10:27AM
What you did for that foster mom was beyond amazing!

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Jun 25, 2014, 7:37PM
I really have a good laugh when some posts of mine actually make it onto the boards, then the next time I look they're gone! Am I that much of a subversive?

Replied By: ctfanofdrphil on Jun 25, 2014, 7:34PM
Thank you for being so good to the foster mom on today's episode.  Warmed my heart to see how loving you and Robin were to her In addition to the generous gifts.  She was clearly IN SHOCK, making it even more believable that she never does for herself.   You were very gracious & thoughtful in how you handled her seemingly lack of response.  Loved this segment.

And, congrats to Amber!  You've come a long way, Baby!  You should be very proud of yourself.  Very impressed by how you've turned you life around.  Very classy to say only kind words about your ex, the father of your precious little daughter.  Keep up the good work!  

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Jun 25, 2014, 6:30PM - In reply to poohnc
Responding to an old post...from what I understand, if you have a legitimate reason to use opiates, as in pain management, the opiates work on reducing the pain or your perception of it. If you take these painkillers recreationally, then the opiates are not counteracting any pain you might be struggling with and the result is that the drug abuser experiences a high.

Replied By: heatherma on Jun 25, 2014, 6:12PM - In reply to kowbelle
She showed a very strong emotion:  SHOCK!  She is not used to being given anything.  That someone would provide her with $5, let alone all of the amazing things she received all at once...  she was absolutely in shock and did not have the ability to say anything.

You are mistaken about her lack of emotion - she had such a strong emotion that she could not move much, let alone speak.  I understand that you did not mean to be angry, nor am I angry with you.  :)  There is no use wasting time on anger on a message board..  I just wanted you to know exactly why she was acting in the manner she did. 

....this comes from my medical training, knowledge and experience. 

All the best to you and yours,

~Heather

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Jun 25, 2014, 6:08PM
Yet another segment on a drug-addled, not-so-bright teenage girl blaming her addiction on the rest of the world, which of course gives her a free pass to start using drugs at the age of 9 and continuing to do so until adulthood, all for the weak, self-indulgent, narcissistic need to be high at all times. And of course we're all supposed to stand up and give her a big round of applause for allegedly being clean for a while and NOW wanting to step up and be a mother. I hope she gets supervised visitation at best, and that's far more than she deserves at this point in time. I'll applaud hard-working folks who get out of bed every morning to get kids ready for school, then commute back and forth to a job they may not even be thrilled about to keep the bills paid, before I give a nod to this dullard. What a complete waste of airtime!

The only "tell" that was of interest was her wish when she met Gary that he would be her "Knight in Shining Armour". I've never understood why girls and women have this unrealistic notion that some man is supposed to come along and make their lives perfect forever and ever. Why abdicate your responsibility for your own happiness? I've always suspected that this is why women become so incredibly bitter upon a break-up or divorce. They finally realize what a crock of a fairystory they've been fed by other women but of course blame it on the man...and boy, are they ever pissed!

Replied By: former1 on Jun 25, 2014, 6:08PM
I don't care about the girl from 16 and pregnent, the lady that has adopted more than 100 kids... WOW I'm a straight 33 year old man and recently I have been watching Dr. Phil I a'm no whimp but I have started to cry probably to much when I watch the show now. The foster mother is much like my mom, the difference is that my mom and dad loved us like know other. Anyway she is great and I love to see people that go above and beyond get some good back they deserve it.

Replied By: heatherma on Jun 25, 2014, 6:08PM
From someone who depended on Foster Parents in my life, I would just like to share my appreciation for your honor of a wonderful Foster Mother!!  Great Foster Parents are not rewarded as they should be and they have very difficult and hectic lives to help these children.

I am a grateful and lucky recipient of having amazing Foster Parents in my life.. and they all deserve so much more than they get. 

On the reverse, I have been in the custody of a "Children's Home" which was extremely abusive as theory to adapt children to become better.  There were also very abusive staff members who got away with abuse to a level that I am surprised about these days.  Luckily, after I left and shared some of this information with some people, it was forced to change some.  I received letters from other "inmates"  (actually we were called "residents") who were amazed with the changes.  I was glad to be able to help them!

The people who take the higher road should be treated just as you honored the amazing woman who gave of herself for children in need.  I just wanted to thank you for that, and I hope somehow - more fantastic Foster Homes can receive more for themselves.  They give life to children who may have otherwise simply not lived without their influence.  I know I wouldn't be alive without mine.

All the best to you and yours,

~Heather

Replied By: kowbelle on Jun 25, 2014, 4:21PM
I almost thought I was watching a robot when Doctor Phil gave the gifts to the foster mother.  No emotions whatsoever from this woman.  A few THANK YOUS would have been nice to see...makes me wonder what kind of infuence she has on the foster kids when it comes to manners.

Replied By: jlaufman on Jun 25, 2014, 4:13PM
I just wanted to say "Thank you."  Thank you for finally having a positive segment about foster parenting.  I only hear about how broken the system is....today you finally highlighted how the system has some amazing people trying to help.  We were foster parents that went on to adopt two very abused children.  While we were involved in the system, we met some truly amazing, giving people.  I would get so angry when I would watch your show and you or your guest would have derogatory things to say about the foster system.  It is not perfect, it has flaws, but it also has some super human beings doing whatever they can to make the lives of others better.

Showing 1-10 of total 56 Comments