Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

Dr. Phil talks to two families who are torn apart by tragic deaths. First, Rod says two-and-a-half years ago, his brother, Jerry, was shot six times and left to die in an alley. No charges were ever filed, and Rod says he’s working nonstop to find justice for his brother. He says he always protected Jerry in life, and to stop his investigative efforts would feel like a betrayal to his brother. Rod’s wife of 20 years, Lori, says her husband is consumed by details of the case and has become so withdrawn, it’s destroying their marriage. Is he willing to give up his fight in order to save their union? Hear from Rod’s daughters, Karina and Taylor, who say they fear their father’s obsession could lead to his untimely death. Is Rod in danger? Then, Rob and Veronica say their marriage is on the brink of divorce after their 13-year-old son, “Little Rob,” was shot and killed by a friend nearly three years ago. The death was ruled accidental, but the parents say they’re not convinced. What do they believe happened? The couple admits they feel guilty about their son’s death and have been taking their anger out on each other. Can they learn to grieve as a united front and save their marriage?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: goldenbeach on Mar 8, 2014, 8:30PM - In reply to squirl38
How very unkind you are.

Replied By: lionwriter on Dec 20, 2013, 11:14PM - In reply to justice4jerry
Taylor, I wrote to your dad today. I am a published author of an extremely injust thing that I went through some 20 years ago. I am now facing injustice again in my life. This time I'm going to fight back, even though I have no attorney to help me. When all the publicity settles down with your father, maybe I can help him. I'm the one from Great Falls, Montana. He needs to pursue it, because believe me, if you don't the obsession for justice will just carry on in his heart forever. I write from a very deep state of compassion and caring and know that you just can't let go. Your family needs to understand this and be behind him and let him go his way until all this is resolved. Just stay with him and understand him, you don't know what it's like when you feel this way. I had a very supportive spouse who gave me time to write out my pain and the injustices that happened to me, which took me six and half years. Now again, I am facing unbelievable injustice. I hope we can help each other. All of you will be in my prayers.

Replied By: pblessed48 on Dec 20, 2013, 11:51AM
Dr. Phil, I just loved the way you had that couple to close their eyes to see their son in heaven. And when you started talking to them about God and lighting the candle. I had tears what a wonderful job. Keep Up The Good Work!!!! pblessed48

Replied By: leogorky on Dec 20, 2013, 11:44AM - In reply to sirron2000
That's not at all what Dr Phil said. He encouraged him to keep up with what he's doing, but to get some balance in his life so that he doesn't lose his family.

Replied By: justice4jerry on Dec 19, 2013, 6:30PM - In reply to caitiej64
Yes I am really Taylor. I'm sorry I accidentally wrote the email wrong but it is 100% legit I promise! It's justice4jerry@yahoo.com  feel free to email I am in charge of this email for my dad so I can keep things organized for him. Thank you so much for your kind words and support id like everyone to know that we are with my dad on this 100% and would never ask him to give up this fight. 

-Taylor 

Replied By: sirron2000 on Dec 19, 2013, 2:18PM - In reply to schoond
I agree you 100%.  I told my wife why wouldn't Dr. Phil have one of his attorneys look over the information that this guy has collected.  That all he said that he wanted and whatever the attorney or investigator concluded he would be resolved with.....he just doesn't know how to put all the evidence he has together and nobody will help him.

I feel his pain!

Instead Dr. Phil makes it seem like he should let whoever killed his brother get away with it and he should just "get over it" and move on.  Who does that?  If it was your sibling or child, would you just say "oh well, he/she's dead"....let's move on.  Hell No!!

Replied By: schoond on Dec 19, 2013, 10:13AM - In reply to sadiegirl1987
I was furious that Dr. Phil seemed to think the survivors should just get over it and move on. Put yourself in their place. What if you KNEW your sibling was murdered and no one was investigating or prosecuting? There is no way I would let those animals continue to walk this earth. I was hoping Dr. Phil would join in the outrage and offer an attorney or professional PI to the guy and his family so the professional could collect the information, take over the investigation, and present the findings to the DA or State's Attorney, or whomever since the local police did not seem to care. Then, the Dad would be free to rejoin the family, knowing his brother's murder is not being swept under the rug. Also offer the family counseling to help deal with the violent death of a loved one. Why wasn't the family asked why they weren't helping the Dad pursue justice for his brother? Where was their compassion for the Dad? The family seemed callous to me, expecting him to "get over it" and pay attention to them. I think he could and would get over it if there was justice pursued and the perpetrators brought to court. His brother did not shoot himself 6 times, for heaven's sake. Notice Dr. Phil did not answer when the father of the young child asked Dr. Phil what Dr. Phil would do if one of his sons was murdered. I think maybe Dr. Phil has lost touch with the 'common man'. He's always saying to kick out an adult child who is unable to find a job and living at home with his or her parents. Hey! Look around! That's reality, jobs are scarce. No way in HE** would Dr. Phil and/or Robin let one of their sons resort to living under an overpass, as he says. Give me a break. The beauty of the Dr. Phil show was that he would listen to both sides, counsel both sides on what was right or wrong in his opinion, and offer ways to mend the problems. That did not happen in this show, and I'm still sitting next to both men with prayers of strength, support, and understanding and not with judgement at their supposed "wrong" behavior.

Replied By: cupid2011 on Dec 19, 2013, 9:44AM - In reply to justice4jerry
I hope you and your dad find time to both spend time just being daughter and father and also working together on your uncle's case.  I REALLY BELIEVE YOU WILL FIND THE ANSWERS YOU SEEK TO GET JUSTICE FOR YOUR UNCLE.   GOD IS WATCHING OVER YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.  Many hugs for you and your family.  My prayers are with your family.

Replied By: cupid2011 on Dec 19, 2013, 9:39AM - In reply to jennef
100% concur with what you are saying. Some people just don't know how to be sensitive, or have personal agendas,  etc.  Makes me happy that for once a board wasn't filled with so much negativity. Can't THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!   You made my day.  :)

Replied By: upsydasy on Dec 19, 2013, 6:50AM - In reply to sadiegirl1987
Until this show aired, I never would have thought of suggesting to my daughter that she ask other parents if they kept guns in the house.  This show was important on so many levels, not the least of which finally getting a chance to encounter normal people who are just like us.  Even if we haven’t all experienced such tragedy in our lives, at least we can relate and empathize with their pain and suffering, which is what makes us all human after all. 

Taylor sweetie, I’ve been reading your comments and love the fact that you and your dad are communicating again and seem to be working together on this important cause.  I’m an old fashioned retired paralegal who use to work in civil litigation and then in high finance.  I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that there’s nothing like honest to goodness organizational skills to help you keep your thoughts and tasks in order, not to mention avoid thinking in circles.  If I could make a few suggestions, I’d tell you to start making lists of priorities to be accomplished, but no more than 5 to 10 items per day.  Then get rid of all that clutter by making piles, create files and cross reference everything.  Last but not least, color-code it all using colored dots, highlighters and sticky notes.  Keep a calendar and mark the files that need attending on certain dates (to be pulled later), then put everything away until due.  It’s like scrapbooking without the decoration and can be immensely useful in order to keep your thoughts in order so that you can both relax a little and create peace and equilibrium in your lives again.  To conclude, make a list of questions and points that you wish to discuss with a lawyer before contacting him or her and most importantly, keep the conversation short and to the point.  There will be plenty of time to discuss the finer details later on.  There are so many other tricks you can use and I’m sure that you can find a lot more great ideas online.

This could be a unification project that you and your entire family could share together. 

Showing 1-10 of total 59 Comments