Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

Carmen says she thought she had the perfect husband in Dennis, until earlier this year, when she discovered that, for most of their 10-year marriage, he had been cheating on her with at least 15 women he met online — and secretly videotaping the encounters. She says that Dennis pretended to be a retired sheriff and a pimp to lure the women, many of whom he says were prostitutes — and nearly emptied their life savings to fund his secret escapades. After he admitted to his indiscretions, Carmen says she took Dennis back — but why? And, how does Dennis explain his actions? Dr. Phil sends international Christian evangelist and author Paula White, who counsels couples in crisis, to Carmen and Dennis’ home, where she says she uncovered something that left her very concerned for the couple’s 13-year-old daughter. Then, Jacob and Lucy say in 2010, their 18-month-old son, Izaiah, was struck by a 17-year-old drunk driver, while his grandfather pushed him in a stroller, leaving him partially paralyzed and brain damaged. With medical bills topping $1 million, the young parents say they’re struggling financially, despite being awarded a $55 million judgment — money they will likely never receive. For the first time, the parents speak to the driver, who spent 480 days in a juvenile detention center for the crime. Will his words offer any comfort? Plus, don’t miss Dr. Phil’s big surprise for Izaiah’s parents! This program contains sexual content. Viewer discretion advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: strine on Mar 5, 2014, 10:43PM
I don't believe he is trustworthy and I think she should get out, but she broke her daughter's heart by telling her about her father cheating the way she did. Carmen only told her because she wanted someone to share her anger at him, but a child can't cope with that (especially when (as she said) the child looked at her father as a hero).

Carmen was angry, resentful and bitter and she made her child that way too because she didn't want the child thinking her father was a hero, she wanted their child to side with her. She is the one who hurt their child the most.  Her daughter wears black now, because she is grieving for her father and she cuts herself because she has no control other than what happens to her own body.

I was upset that Dr Phil didn't berate Carmen for discussing adult issues with a child.  

Replied By: upsydasy on Dec 22, 2013, 11:13AM - In reply to upsydasy
Pardon the bragging but our little Jackie-Sue (Jacqueline), who is only 2, was placed in a more advanced daycare class along with older kids recently because it was observed that she wasn’t being challenged enough by the activities or by the children in her own age group.  (She caught a timeout in her former class for dumping a child size carton of milk on a little boy’s head because he told her, among other things, that he wanted to marry her.)  My daughter believes that it’s never too early to teach her girls’ self-esteem and to require others to respect their boundaries.  Unfortunately, she still can’t convince her to stop wearing ballet tutus *funny*.  That pint size little pixy already has a mind of her own and nobody’s going to change her.  That’s how you prepare children and young women nowadays to know their self-worth when, as Dr. Phil always says: “the first good ole’ boy comes along and whispers sweet nothing’s in their ears and tries to talk them into sexting with the intention of using their bodies as their playground.”  A good daycare can support parents in their efforts to raise their children in a safe and stimulating environment, while they’re out being role models for their kids by pursuing their careers and supporting their families.  After all, there’s nothing worse than a bored and unfulfilled housewife and mother;  I know because I had one.  She had every materialistic advantage she could want, yet she was the most miserable and depressed woman I ever knew.

Replied By: upsydasy on Dec 19, 2013, 5:25PM - In reply to nickili
Any woman who can afford to stay home is a lucky person and so are her children, but that is just not a realistic option for most women.  If you find it exhausting to get up in the morning and make breakfast before sending your kids to school, you wouldn’t last a day in my daughter’s shoes.  She has to work in order to help support her family and she does it with joy and love.  Her children go to an excellent daycare that even provides regular yoga classes.  They are well socialized, have lots of friends, intelligent and absolutely adored by their parents.  The women’s movement provided the opportunity for women to earn EQUAL PAY for EQUAL WORK so that they could finally have a say the family’s finances AND support their kids if something happened to what use to be called the main breadwinner. 

The world has changed and most families can’t afford to maintain a mortgage, feed their families and pay for extracurricular activities for their kids (not to mention clothes, electronics and whatever else the modern world demands) without two incomes.  Chances are Carmen’s daughter won’t either because in case you haven’t noticed life isn’t getting any cheaper.  All of this happened because Carmen was willing to turn a blind eye until the crap hit the fan.  Her husband placed the family in dire financial straits because she couldn’t face reality and now she seems to be determined to teach her daughter to do the exact same thing she did.  Nice!  Wow, I can’t believe that there are still women out there who think that they should continue to live for their husbands and through their children.  Obviously, you’ve never had a life of your own and a fulfilling career that you cared about.  There is MORE out there and every woman has the right to determine for herself how she wants to live her life and raise her own children. (Also in case you haven't heard, it takes a village.)

Replied By: stargazer225 on Dec 19, 2013, 3:21PM
My husband has mental illness.  He's bipolar, OCD, OCPD, and just really a jerk a lot of the time.  But you know, for twenty years, I tried to get him help, make him better.  Show him love, take care.  Blah, blah, blah.  You know what it got me?  20 years of struggle for someone who doesn't want to be fixed or acknowledge he's mentally ill.

I'm still here because of the kids.  In my state, he'd get them half the time, and he's not emotionally capable.  But we don't live in the same room, and I no longer try to fix him.  This woman has to learn a lesson I took too long to learn. You can only fix yourself.  When someone else's problems have consequences ONLY for you and not them, you're being an idiot.  I know, because I've been one for a long time.

The thing this guy has in common with my husband is that he has no empathy for his wife.  He abused her after he told her by telling her to get over it and stop crying.  He doesn't want any consequences for his own behavior and he'll never get it.  He wants her to take his consequences -- and she's willing to do it.  Carmen, get help for yourself!  This guy is a sociopath in my opinion.

Replied By: nickili on Dec 19, 2013, 12:31PM - In reply to cadescove99
Your comments sound very anti-woman.  Carmen was working 6 days a week to help out with the family.  What difference does it make if she hadn't had a job? Does that mean she would have deserved to be cheated on and lied to?  I have always been a working Mom. I found myself in a similar situation to Carmen, and do you know what?  It took me years to leave my ex-husband.  Money did not play a factor at all.  There are many resources for women now days, including welfare.  Stop trying to blame Carmen.  Even if she had never worked a day in her life, she is a Mother, and that is a job.  I would appreciate it if women's rights advocates would start standing up for all women, and not just the women that are educated and that work according to their standards.  Your comment was very ignorant.  I was a working Mother for over 10 years.  I recently re-married and decided to be a stay-at-home Mom.  It is the most challenging job I have ever had.  It is exhausting and requires a lot of love and patience.  Why have children if you are going to have them raised by strangers (daycare centers, nannies etc. )?  Careers should be left for single women or women that choose not to start the career of having children.  I wish Carmen all the luck in the world.  She is a good person.  She will never realize her true potential if people such as yourself keep knocking her down negative comments.  Let us women show love to ALL WOMEN.  

Thanks to the women's rights movement, it is now the norm for the Mother to be taken out of the home and separated from her children.  That has had horrible ramifications for the entire family structure.  When you drop your kids off at Daycare, you are paying to not be with your children.  It makes no sense.   That being said, if a working Mom was mistreated by her husband, I would come to her defense just as much as any other woman.  Women are women.  Let's start being fair and just to one another.  

Replied By: ruth10503 on Dec 18, 2013, 1:12PM
I love the fact your so willing to help those in need. I do wish instead of a car you could have gotten the family a wheelchair friendly vehicle for Isaiah's travels as it will not be long before the parents can no longer lift him into a car seat.

Replied By: lanna89 on Dec 18, 2013, 5:10AM
Carmen my gut feeling is to tell you to run in the opposite direction of this man as fast as you can and never look back. That would be best for you and your child. But I doubt you will do that. If he does not make an extraordinary effort to do everything possible to change you need to walk away and never look back. And I do not mean just popping a pill. Some things are unforgivable. The things he has done repeatedly fall into that category. I see very little in the way of remorse from him. He is not sorry for hurting you or your daughter. He is a selfish self centered sociopath and they do not reform. Please take care of yourself and your daughter. You deserve better than this man has to offer. Protect yourself. You need to get intensive therapy for yourself to try and understand why you would stay with a man who mistreats you so badly. If you have abuse in your past you can overcome it and find a man who treats you and your daughter right.

Replied By: diamondgirl56 on Dec 18, 2013, 3:38AM
Did the  boy that hit baby Isaiah have car insurance and did it pay anything. Things have changed so much but I think it woul be responsible for all the bills. Plus to settle a humongous settlement to take care of him for the rest of his life.  Dr. Phil that was really nice about the car you could have thrown in a new van with a wheelchair lift also. They said theirs had over 200,000 miles on it. That is when they start nickle and diming you to death. JMHO

Replied By: survivorca on Dec 18, 2013, 2:21AM
After watching today's show, I wondered how many regular viewers Dr. Phil has. I joined the community today just so I could post. I thought to myself, if Dr. Phil has 1 million regular viewers, and each viewer donated $5 each month to the Isaiah foundation, it wouid certainly help. This is what a village does; this is what we should do -- help this child and family in great turmoil and need.

I also think that Noa's sentencing should have included retribution of some kind, for the rest of his life, maybe based/adjusted by his income. Noa and his family should have more responsibility in this -- and it should be a moral responsibility, not something that has to be imposed by a law or sentencing. This is sooooo sad. I am a grandmother and I often watch cars around me when I take my grandchildren out, whether in a stroller or for a walk, for this very reason.

So I ask all of you, please open your hearts and wallets and donate to Isaiah's foundation. I am broke, overextended, etc etc but I know I can come up with $5 or $10 each month to help a family in this type of dire need. 

Replied By: cdrens on Dec 17, 2013, 11:50PM - In reply to dusty905
huh

Showing 1-10 of total 71 Comments