Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

Twenty-five-year-old Brianna claims that at age 15, she was raped by two male classmates at a post-Homecoming party, and when prosecutors initially refused to file charges, she says her mom, Bridget, coerced her into sharing her story with the national media, sparking backlash from her peers. Why does she say she believes her mom had an ulterior motive in getting her to speak out? Bridget insists she wanted to empower her daughter, because she felt they weren’t getting anywhere with the legal system. Does she take any ownership in the fallout that her daughter says she received? Bridget and her husband, Michael, say Brianna -- who now has a 7-year-old son -- has since spiraled out of control, and they fear for their grandson’s safety. They claim Brianna and her partner, Vickie, use drugs and that Vickie has been abusive toward the child -- allegations both women deny. Is Brianna’s son in danger? Emotions run high when the family faces each other on Dr. Phil’s stage. Then, best-selling author Mitch Albom shares a painful, personal experience that inspired his new book, The First Phone Call from Heaven, and offers advice to Bridget and Brianna. Can this mother and daughter make peace with the past and fix their fractured relationship?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cupid2011 on Dec 14, 2013, 5:23PM - In reply to upsydasy
You captured it well.  :)

Replied By: upsydasy on Dec 14, 2013, 11:47AM
I came away very confused by this show.  It does seem like CPS is used far too often as a weapon by feuding family members these days.  If what the grandmother says is true about the little boy being taken behind a shed and hit with a belt by Brianna’s partner, I see two things wrong with this scenario:  1) if he was truly beaten with a belt there would have been marks or bruises, why weren’t they photographed?  2)  As we’ve seen on other Dr. Phil Shows, it’s not the partner’s place to discipline a child that is not their own in any way shape or form, especially with corporal punishment. 

I think that the mother exposed her daughter’s alleged rape to the media for all the wrong reasons.  We didn’t hear why the prosecutors refused to press charges, but it’s hardly a traumatized 15 year old girl’s responsibility to ensure that what happened to her doesn’t happen again to someone else, as was stated by the mother.  Did she even receive counseling after the incident or was Brianna just pushed in front of the cameras by her mother in order to tell her story over and over again to no avail.  If so, I can understand Brianna’s frustration towards her mother, who not only chastised her for being raped when she found her, but proceeded to parade her daughter’s ordeal around town and to the media thereby exposing her to ridicule and derision from her friends and peers.  Again, Brianna was only 15 and her mother’s job was to protect and shield her child, not flaunt and exhibit her to the world as a rape victim that nobody believed and then leaving her on her own to face the inevitable backlash that would follow.  It all sounds more like a punishment for what happened and I can almost hear the mother’s thought process at the time, such as: none of this would have happened if Brianna hadn’t been so drunk and got herself raped in the first place.

What Brianna needs now is counseling and assistance in orde to come to terms with her past and a lot less blame and threats of having her son removed by her mother and step-father.

Replied By: keninman1965 on Dec 14, 2013, 9:45AM
It seems I must have watched a different show than almost everyone else here. I could easily see why almost no one believed Brianna's claim that  she was raped by two male classmates when she was 15. Her personality and statements left me doubting the truthfulness of anything she said. Bridget seemed credible enough though I believe most of the decisions she made regarding the rape allegations where more motivated by her own ego than her daughter's best interest. That being said she is not responsible for the rude young woman spitting hate and venom at her mom and step dad on Dr Phil's stage. Brianna needs help dealing with her personality disorder. Bridget and Michael need help learning how to deal constructively with Brianna. In the end they may be forced to cut ties but I hope they can hold it together for their grandson's sake.

Replied By: jennef on Dec 13, 2013, 11:04PM - In reply to dianepue
...are you talking about? Not the one we saw today,I think.

Replied By: jennef on Dec 13, 2013, 11:02PM - In reply to rach31
That girl really got under my skin.

Very nasty . Would NOT allow others to be heard.

Toxic..........

Poor little boy : his  mother's always going to be right !

Replied By: jennef on Dec 13, 2013, 10:56PM
I found myself becoming really annoyed with Brianna.

Many times, I could not hear what others were saying because of her rude interruptions.

Very unpleasant. Just wouldn't let others speak.

I found her arrogant & overbearing . Several times, I wanted to  turn the TV off just to get rid of her sneering face.

Replied By: dianepue on Dec 13, 2013, 10:25PM - In reply to cartertman
I agree with you totally....sometimes there are no happy endings between parents and children if the parents are unwill ing to grow up, change and get healthy.....and BEHAVE in a healthy give and take way with their children.  It isnt up to one person to do all the pleasing, trying, helping and putting up with things !  I am happy that you saw this truth and moved on in your life so that you didnt stay trapped in a nightmare .  I have seen too many folks waste their few years on this earth chasing after love that would never be theirs in a healthy and happy way!  I am sure you are a much happier and more peaceful person as each year passes!

Replied By: dianepue on Dec 13, 2013, 10:21PM
there are relationships between parents and their children that are healthy and wonderful, respectful , tolerant, and those are the kinds that have a healthy love.  Then there are the relationships where the parent isnt healthy....and they create toxic relationships whereever they go.  The say they love their children and would do anything for them....but the way they parent is so unhealthy that the children end up suffering and walking away or suffering and keep on trying to pacify the parent or they live a lifetime trying to please a parent that refuses to be happy with them or accept them or truly help them.....I think those kinds of parents have a very unhealthy definition of what love is.  I feel so sorry for this daughter, regardless of drugs or her behaviors.....she basically has been robbed and cheated of being loved and supported in a healthy way.  The mother can claim all she wants about why she should raise her grandchild, but she is unhealthy and the child isnt going to be benefited by staying with her!  The mother NEEDS therapy just as much as her daughter....they both go round and round the same mountain of issues because the mother wont try to get healthy and quit being such a control freak.   I wish them all the very best, but the daughter needs to gain some understanding of what her mother is truly like and move on past that....and get her power back....and get her child back.

Replied By: cartertman on Dec 13, 2013, 8:58PM
I think it is important to realize that not all relationships between parents and offspring are reconsilable.  It takes two to make a realtlionship work.  If parents are not willing to reconsile an offspring cannot do anything.  I have made my peace with that, my fathr has sinced passed and I feel no regret.  I have not had contact with them for 20 years.  They could not live in my world and I could not live in their's.  They NEED to live in denial I cannot live there and stay sane, no matter how briefly.  My therapist has even remarked at how much better of a person I have become since getting out from under their influence.  Life does not always have a happy ending.  Sometimes it is lose / lose.  You have to take the loss that you can survive. 

Replied By: cupid2011 on Dec 13, 2013, 8:19PM - In reply to loyalalways
Brianna's drug test came back borderline positive for a drug that her mother tricked her into taking by telling her that they were supplements.   This is one of the drug tests administered by CPS.  Other than that, she passed all the drug tests.  Do you believe that her mother was responsible for the results of this one test for only one drug?

Showing 1-10 of total 35 Comments