Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

Kelly says her 16-year-old daughter, Ellie, is on a path of self-destruction, and she fears for the teen’s life. She says Ellie has an eating disorder, is suicidal, cuts herself and has overdosed on prescription drugs. She also says Ellie lashes out at her in anger on a daily basis, forcing her husband, Rob, to play referee between them. What’s at the root of the teen’s behavior? Ellie admits she has low self-esteem but says her mom is overreacting. How does she explain her choices? Dr. Phil digs deep into the teen’s past to find the source of her pain. Can she turn her life around, before it’s too late? Plus, don’t miss the dramatic moment after the show!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: susanr6726 on Feb 24, 2014, 2:17AM - In reply to lovesdestin
I just watched this show and while I agreed with Dr Phil on many aspects, I found his language and attitude towards the mother in this case disgusting. Oh yes be the martyr, up on the cross, really Dr Phil did you have to put your attitude to her response in that way? In what way was that helpful?

i think Dr Phil has forgotten that these parents have been dealing with this day in day out for years, and for him to say that this mother was the Ice Queen was wrong, did he ever think that if she didn't act like that, that she would lose it completely.

to say that the mother lacked empathy, well perhaps after doing this show for so long that Dr Phil is losing his empathy too!

Replied By: anolema on Jan 27, 2014, 12:37AM
This show really bothered me and I am interested to know if there will be a follow up. Please tell me Ellie is getting the help she needs, and that the entire family is getting help.

Replied By: anolema on Jan 27, 2014, 12:36AM - In reply to cupid2011
I don't think step dad is an angel. I think he's a wimp. Why isn't he able to fill the vOvid in his step daughter's life? I think he's afraid of ice queen mom and doesn't want to rock the boat. That entire family needs help. if he cares so much for Ellie then he has opportunity to hug her and talk to her too. Instead he just sat there doing And saying nothing.

Replied By: anolema on Jan 27, 2014, 12:02AM - In reply to kjlogan
I get that you think Dr Phil messed up and the bio Dad is the problem. But if the mom and step dad care so much for Ellie, how can they send her off after the show without any compassion? Not even a hug! It seems like they knew from the beginning that they were going to send Ellie away and Ellie had no idea. Poor kid. The show offered no explanation as to why bio dad was not in the picture. Seems like Ellie needs to start her road to recovery with asking questions.. I hope by now she has gotten the help she needs.

Replied By: cupid2011 on Dec 17, 2013, 2:55PM - In reply to trixie123
Wasn't there some discussion about this girl being depressed that she took pills to sleep.  Dr. Phil said to her that she wants to escape by sleeping?   I just think  her mom would say things to comfort her when she is feeling deep feelings of despair.

Replied By: trixie123 on Dec 17, 2013, 11:17AM
I am a mom of 2 boys,5 and 3 years.  I tape and watch EVERY one of Dr. Phil's shows.  I have never felt compelled to take the time to register and comment on any show until I saw this show.  I was completely shocked to see the end of the show where the mom was suppose to talk to her 16 year old troubled daughter about going to the facility that Dr. Phil was suggesting!  I could not believe the complete lack of sympathy, empathy on the mother's part while shipping her child off!!  Even though I agree it was the best thing for the teen, but this mother needs serious help of her own! No wonder this child has issues!

Replied By: mags628 on Dec 17, 2013, 1:52AM
This young woman is in serious trouble. She is seeking attention, yes, and love, and validation. No one taught her how to love herself, and that is the PARENTS' job. What part of what was seen showed how the mother reacted to her daughter? I didn't catch anything that showed the mother doing anything wrong.  Motherhood is NOT sainthood... there are bad, bad mothers in the world.

Replied By: mags628 on Dec 17, 2013, 1:45AM
This  show triggered so many things me... recognition, empathy, pain. I had many of the same problems this young woman had when I was younger.  Then, there was no Dr. Phil... you didn't let anyone know what was going on at home that was wrong. That would have made my parents look bad, and I think that was the main concern of this girl's mother, to be honest. I just took it until I was old enough to leave home. No one sent me somewhere to help save my self-esteem, and I was 54 before I realized I actually had a right to inhabit space. I sincerely wish this young woman all the best and hope she gets the help she needs.

Replied By: ktgrayling on Dec 16, 2013, 6:47PM - In reply to highonfire2010
Listen, i don't know you personally and you don't know me but I'm going to tell you something that helped me in my own life. 

Ready? 

Stop. Just draw a line in the sand and stop. Quit looking back - you`re not going that way! You can't ever go that way. 

I had a horrendous child hood (sexually abused from 4-9) then parents found Crack and mom beat the hell out of me all the time. Then dad died. Had a baby at 17 and ended up with a guy who beat me up every other day. Lived on the streets and in motels/shelters for almost 7 years. 

Then one day I read in a book:  "If nothing in your life changed and you are doing exactly what you are now in 5 years, would you be happy?" I had to answer that with an emphatic "NO". So I changed. 

I didn't blame my mom for "not protecting me" Hell, she's human to. I didn't blame my dad for dying. I even forgave the guy who sexually abused me and my ex who beat me up. 

Now I am remarried to a wonderful guy and we own our own home and a couple of businesses. It was hard work. Honestly the hardest part was not falling into old routines. Not allowing myself to blame others for how I was feeling as an adult. 

That's the whole point! Why are you letting your child hood and things you couldn't control control you now? Stop. Move on. Breath. It's so much easier than you think!!

Best of luck!!

Replied By: cupid2011 on Dec 16, 2013, 2:22PM
Her daughter probably also thinks her mother is cold and insensitive.   

Parents supposedly go on the Dr. Phil show to learn to improve themselves and be better parents.   No one has to agree with him, but I would think that a parent that is desperate to help their child would at least give some serious thought to what both Dr. Phil and Dr. Lawlis told her. 

The step-dad is A WONDERFUL MAN.

Showing 1-10 of total 220 Comments