Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Ray and Deena say that three years ago, after Deena had an affair and they divorced, their 16-year-old daughter, Summer, went from a straight-A student to a violent and out-of-control teen. The parents say that Summer shoplifts, uses drugs, gets into physical fights with friends and family, dresses provocatively and lies about her age to date much older men. They also claim that she has run away from home at least 15 times -- including a month-long ordeal in Las Vegas, when they say Summer lived on the streets, abused drugs and panhandled for money. How does Summer explain her behavior? Hear why she says she had no choice but to run away to Vegas -- with a near-stranger. And, how do Ray and Deena respond? Has the contention between them compromised their ability to parent Summer? Dr. Phil weighs in and offers the fractured family advice for moving forward. Are the parents willing to come together to get Summer back on track? (OAD: 12-9-13)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: goldenbeach on Aug 13, 2014, 1:22AM
If the mother scraped the muck off her face, the daughter might do the same.

Replied By: luvmyhuskies on Apr 26, 2014, 2:03PM - In reply to loyalalways
LoyalAlways, thank you.  I agree.  The parents, especially the mothers, are ALWAYS put on blast. There's been plenty of times that I've thought the parents were clueless, but there were just as many times I've thought can't a person just be an a****** because that's how he/she is and has nothing to do with whether the mother caused it all?  My parents raised 7 of us.  Six out of the seven have great lives as adults but one has been a career criminal and in/out of jail since he was 17, when he thought it'd be a great idea to break a teacher's nose because he was told to get off the desk.  He's in his early 50's now and we've lost count as to how many times he's been in county jail and the state pen.  But through all of this he has always taken 100% responsibility and not once has ever tried to blame our parents.  So come on now, Dr. Phil.  Maybe you don't always (or ever) think the parents have tried to handle things the best they knew how but please stop always placing the blame on the mothers of the world!

Replied By: upsydasy on Mar 29, 2014, 9:00AM

Nobody seems to be concerned with the fact that this 16 year old girl was used as a sex-slave and raped by a stranger while unconscious.  When a grown woman mails hundreds of thousands of dollars hidden in a cereal box destined to some catfish in Nigeria, everybody’s on her side.  But, when a pretty teenager goes off the rails, runs away to Los Vegas with some smooth-talking guy who promises her the world everybody holds her responsible for her actions.  C’mon!  Where’s your sense of fairness or compassion.  All I can see ahead is many years of therapy in store for this young woman just to try and make sense of it all and learn to forgive herself.  By all means exonerate the old bats who should have known better but ignored the signs despite numerous warnings from family and friends and punish the young who can’t see around corners yet and still have a thing or two to learn about danger.  Of course it’s never the parents’ fault according to these message boards.  Even though the father thinks that women should be disciplined and controlled and the mother, who appeared altered, could barely string a sentence together.  Luck of the draw?  My eye!  My God, she’s lucky to still be alive. 

Replied By: loyalalways on Mar 29, 2014, 3:52AM - In reply to loyalalways
I don't know what happened to my message, but ione paragraph didn't post as I wrote it. I read it over before I posted it to make sure it was correct and then I submitted it. Now I see that part of it is missing and it doesn't make any sense. I've rewritten that paragraph to want it is supposed to say:

People have to stop allowing troubled teens to keep blaming just their parents for all the bad choices they make. Teens need to be held accountable for their part in the problems, too. I've seen teens from terrible homes come out extremely well, and I've seen rotten kids come from good homes. It's the luck of the draw. I have a friend who was raised by his older sister because his parents were too drunk all the time to raise him. I have never heard this man swear, yell or put down even one person. He became a minister and now works on skid row in Toronto, Ontario. I also know another guy that I went to school with who had good parents and a loving home. He ended up on drugs and in trouble. He eventually died from a drug overdose. Teens KNOW the difference between right and wrong and should be held accountable for their mistakes, too.

Replied By: camille321mn on Mar 28, 2014, 10:32PM
I feel very bad for the parents. Sure, they've made mistakes but what parent hasn't. Dr. Phil is not being fair and objective imo. He made the faher feel uncomfortable and attacked Im Sure when he kept asking....what is more important to u than your daughter? He answered him but he kept asking, he didn't believe him that nothing else was more important ans he didn't believe the mothers reason for not getting custody, but he believes all the crap the daughter says....or..at least he pretends to until the very end. I don't understand. This is a total brat and nothing any parent did would make her happy.

Replied By: loyalalways on Mar 28, 2014, 7:21PM - In reply to momof3greatboy
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person who noticed that. I love Dr. Phil. He does a lot of good. However, when it comes to these problem teens, he's too soft on them. The girl today was using all the excuses he's given many times on his show. I've  heard it many times from teens trying to make their parents look like monsters by using these excuses. Parents make mistakes. There's NO such thing as a perfect parent.

People have to stop allowing terrible homes come out extremely well, and I've seen rotten kids come from good homes. It's the luck of the draw. I have a friend who was raised by his older sister because his parents were too drunk all the time to raise him. I have never heard this man swear, yell or put down even one person. He became a minister and now works on skid row in Toronto, Ontario. I also know another boy I went to school with who had good parents and a loving home. He ended up on drugs and in trouble. He eventually died from a drug overdose. Teens KNOW the difference between right and wrong and should be accountable for their mistakes, too.

Replied By: b_b_boomer on Mar 28, 2014, 6:54PM
this whole family motto must be "not my fault" always someone elses.

Replied By: puggleperson on Mar 28, 2014, 6:47PM
I can't watch this episode anymore... Oh I wanna go to school and help abused kids.... Haha help yourself first.. You weren't abused... You are a spoiled angry child and your parents don't know how to discipline you... 

They need to go to Home Depot and buy some boards to lock her in the damn house!!! 

God, she is the only one who looked at fault in my eyes... 

Replied By: puggleperson on Mar 28, 2014, 6:43PM - In reply to ladylibra39
exactly! Total brat! Kids these days are so entitled

Replied By: puggleperson on Mar 28, 2014, 6:38PM
okay true, her parents aren't perfect but this girl has far more serious problems then just her parents.

the timeline didn't make sense, she says she has been doing drugs since she was 11 but her parents divorced much later than that. 

Dr.Phil always make the men to look like the bad people. Her father had every right to detain his crazy daughter. And the mother, if that was my child there is no way they would lay a hand on me. If they did, of course I would fight back (and win). The girl has anger management issues coupled with teen hormones coulpled with bad parents. That is a recipe for disaster. 

do you honestly think that these two females are innocent in all of this?im sure they never layed hands on that dad. This teen knows exactly what to say..it's driving me nuts. You can see how she                                               carries herself and the          way she talks is that she thinks it's all about her

Showing 1-10 of total 146 Comments