Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Karen and Tim say the last six years with their 24-year-old adopted son, Adam, have been a nightmare, and Tim wants to cut him out of their lives for good -- but Karen says she can’t give up yet. The parents say Adam has become angry and violent, has pulled a knife on them and threatened to get a gun. They also say Adam abuses drugs and alcohol and has been arrested multiple times -- including a recent arrest for felony drug-related charges. With Adam now facing seven years in jail, Karen and Tim post bail so he can meet with Dr. Phil in an effort to turn his life around. Hear how Adam explains his destructive choices. Does he want to change? And, find out why Tim says he’s not hopeful that Adam will make a turnaround. Then, hear from Adam’s ex-girlfriend, Kristin, who calls him a “ticking time bomb.” How does Adam respond? When Dr. Phil offers him a lifeline, will he grab ahold? And, will both of his parents be willing to give him one more chance? This program contains strong language. Viewer discretion advised. (OAD: 12-3-13)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: nevrgivup1 on Aug 28, 2014, 7:33PM
First of all, the man was adopted. I wonder if his adopted dad (Tim) has any idea what it feels like to think you're not wanted by your biological parents. Maybe his biological parents had no choice and thought they were doing the right thing, but it still feels like a rejection, I have first hand experience, I was adopted myself. And second, parents don't truly know how to love their children, and from I can hear coming from Tim, he is just another victim of this loveless society. He has no idea what it means to love and his son is suffering because of it. Love isn't about giving your kid nice things, taking them everywhere they want to go, and enrolling them in classes to become more talented. It's about looking your child in the eyes when they talk, and really listening, something that Tim is not willing to do. Adam's mom is caught in the middle and when you're trying to give your heart to two people who are against each other, your love is compromised. And trust me, Adam knows his mom's love is compromised. Adam is screaming to be loved, that's what all his negative acting out is all about. I wish parents could recognize this and sit down with their kids, look them in the eyes, without judgement, without a bad attitude, and really really listen. The world would be such a better place.

Replied By: lymiesgirl on Aug 26, 2014, 4:10PM
When I watched this story it broke my heart. I could so relate to the whole situation! I understand the dad's frustration although I do not condone the things he said. It is extremely frustrating when a member of your family is going what appears to be crazy and you dont know how to help them when nothing else works. The docs keep telling you nothing is wrong so slap a bo-bo diagnosis on you just to medicate and dope you up.

I went through something VERY simular with my daughter. From the time she was born she was not a 'normal' infant, she constantly threw up for a couple years, she had so much anger in her, even as an infant she would yank her hair out and claw her face out of pure anger. As she grew older she became more and more aggressive. She was kicked out of 5 preschools by the time she was 5 for attacking the kids and teachers! I took her from doc to doc and at 5 she was diagnosed as bipolar (VERY unusual for a small child) and with ADHD. I kept saying that she didnt fit the bipolar mold because they usually have moments of giddiness which she never had. As a teenager she started attacking me physically and was arrested for this twice and shoplifting once. I was still commited to find out what was going on with my baby just like Adam's mom.  Then finally they found that I had Lyme disease and had probably been born with it. Now my daughter has been diagnosed with it and now it all makes sense! Lyme has a co-infection called Bartonella. Bartonella causes severe rages and other mental issues.  My daughter did not have bipolar but 'Bart Rages'! This is a article about Bartonella rages:

http://www.personalconsult.com/articles/bartonellarageandabuse.html

I trully believe that Adam needs to be tested for Lyme. They need to get a copy of the test, whether negative or positive, because the doctors are telling people that their tests are negative when in fact they are positive. If there are any positive bands on the Lyme test, they need to research each one to determine if the band is Lyme specific.

I hope Adam and his father can get the help they need to fix their relationship and I wish I could find a way to contact them.  God bless this family!

Replied By: couchbum on Aug 24, 2014, 9:18PM
You don't know what you would do if you had a child like this.  So, stop your...I would never give up on my kid, I went through a lot with my kid and I would do it again a million times over, you don't give up on your kids....etc. etc.   You don't know what you would do until it happens to you. Not everyone has the resources as Dr. Phil. Not everyone has the "Money" as Dr. Phil has.  After watching this show and reading all these posts, it makes me glad I didn't have children.  I'll stick with dogs!  I'll never have to worry about my kid turning out like this, or my kid shooting up a classroom, or my kid participating in a gang rape in high school or college, or my kid getting pregnant at 16 etc. etc.. I feel sorry for the dad.  He is so frustrated with his son.  I don't blame him for feeling the way he does.  When someone threatens you, you take it serious.  Their son threaten them numerous times. He would be baned from my house too.  I got the impression the son was manipulating the audience.  With those sorryful eyes and saying he would never give up on his kid.  Blah, puk, puk, puk.  He was manipulating us people!  To feel sorry for him.  And it worked like a charm.  I saw right though his fake charm.  Now, I'm going back to playing with my dogs.   Dogs that would never turn on me like this kid did with his parents.

Replied By: drphilkk on Aug 23, 2014, 5:34PM - In reply to deblynch2
What show were you watching? Im amazed you and many people take the words the dad said at face value.  The parents want only good for the son but the dad is very frustrated and doesn't want to the son to bring hm and his wife down. 

And I'm still curious to know what show were you watchng!

Replied By: drphilkk on Aug 23, 2014, 5:30PM - In reply to suezeek
Yea, at some point the dad was being very frank and firm with the son and telling him where he stands with him I began to see the dad's point of view. Soon after dr phils interjects with something like, "I know how to do an interview" and sort of shut the dad down, but I thought the dad expressed himself very well and frankly but dr phil must of felt the dad was taking the reigns too much which I didn't see as such.

Yea, and this topic might be above dr phil's head because he doesn't and has not ever dealt with such a son.

Replied By: quickdraw5555 on Aug 23, 2014, 10:39AM
DR. Phil had alot of answers to couple and individual families but in general he avoids talking about the bigger picture and often usesothers like Bishope Jake to throw in the mix. It is too bad that Dr. Phil doesn't want to fomulate some of the reasons for societies misfits becoming what they become. It is obvious that the young man is affraid of people, places, and things, which is a phrase used in recovery programs.  The only thing to fear is fear itself and most people don't need a million different answers to their problems, rather to trust their inner Spirit and stop being people pleasers and know who they are inside and think well of themsevles.  The Bible has more to say in total than Dr.Phil and he knows it.  There should be some commanality in the way we educate our children so we behave in ways that are good for each of us and for society as a whole.  I think it is time to inmplement programs in the education system that do just that and take a pragmatic and straightforward approach in doing so.  We don't need Rev. Jake and Dr. Phil to give us all the answers. Dr. Phil knows that the young man is behaving in ways that are classical Bordedrline Personality traits. It is the fastest growing malady in the Menatal Health Profession that when left untreated can ruin ones life and way of thinking. Once a person thinks he has no worth you are going to have behavior problems.  Look around  and you see it everywhere.

Replied By: deblynch2 on Aug 22, 2014, 3:34PM
too bad adam can't disown his terrible parents and kick them out of the house

Replied By: deblynch2 on Aug 22, 2014, 3:32PM
as an adopted child it is obvious to me that the child is look for love and acceptance which he is obviously not getting from either of them.so sad, these scars will stay with him. another adoption story gone bad because the parents don't know how to love and accept and parent a child that is not theirs. hint they never should have passed the interview to adopt a baby

Replied By: deblynch2 on Aug 22, 2014, 3:29PM - In reply to brittimpala67
it is not just adopted children that can "GO WILD' as you put it but any child adopted or not. wow i am glad you did not adopt me with that attitude.

Replied By: deblynch2 on Aug 22, 2014, 3:25PM
if this were their biological son that dad wouldn't give up on him. another bad adoption opinion that adopted children are somehow bad. people actually believe that when you are a newborn you did something horrific so your mom had to give you up. or your mom was such a low life human that the adopted child will be just as bad. newborn babies don't do anything wrong people. we didn't ask to be placed in adoption. once you adopt a child you should treat them like they are your own.

Showing 1-10 of total 486 Comments