Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Karen and Tim say the last six years with their 24-year-old adopted son, Adam, have been a nightmare, and Tim wants to cut him out of their lives for good -- but Karen says she can’t give up yet. The parents say Adam has become angry and violent, has pulled a knife on them and threatened to get a gun. They also say Adam abuses drugs and alcohol and has been arrested multiple times -- including a recent arrest for felony drug-related charges. With Adam now facing seven years in jail, Karen and Tim post bail so he can meet with Dr. Phil in an effort to turn his life around. Hear how Adam explains his destructive choices. Does he want to change? And, find out why Tim says he’s not hopeful that Adam will make a turnaround. Then, hear from Adam’s ex-girlfriend, Kristin, who calls him a “ticking time bomb.” How does Adam respond? When Dr. Phil offers him a lifeline, will he grab ahold? And, will both of his parents be willing to give him one more chance? This program contains strong language. Viewer discretion advised. (OAD: 12-3-13)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: jhutson on Aug 21, 2014, 4:46PM
My life parallel's these parent almost exactly. My 24 yr-old son has done so many of the same things, said the same things, been diagnosed with the same disorders. No regard for other people, no empathy, no emotion for hurting everyone around him.......

I have also disconnected my relationship from my son in that, he is not allowed in my house and I will not give him money. I do talk to him from time to time but, it usually ends with him screaming at me so I set my phone to automatically send his calls to voice mails - I will text him back but that is all.

My heart goes out to these parents - nobody can possibly understand what life is like for them. I pray for all of you.

Replied By: meggy8868 on Aug 21, 2014, 4:43PM
Is completely out of line here.  Having a granchild who is violent and who has been forgiven time and again, he is not reckoning on total evil as being a cause or the brain being wrecked by early use of drugs.

This Kumba Ya approach is not right.  The Father has a more of a grip on reality.  This is the kind of human who commits murder and ends up in prison.

Replied By: lionarcher on Aug 21, 2014, 4:42PM
Being a retired Corrections Officer I understand dad's side.  I have seen young men like his son go in and out of jail with "issues" blaming their parents, society, etc for their problems.  Not trying to fix the real problem which is WHAT is causing their depression or mental issue.  I have delt with men and women who self medicated instead of taking the medication they were to take because they hated the side effects.  I delt with men and women who swear they are not mentally ill yet did things no sane person would do in normal situations.  

This young man is a manipulator.  He is keeping things to himself he is NOT ready to face.  THIS is what he really need to face.  It has NOTHING to do with his parents really it is something inside him he needs to face and deal with.  The drugs will not help him.  Blaming his family will not help him.  He may THINK they are the problem...and maybe in a small way they pushed the issue in the for front but this secret is kiling him from within.  He needs to face it and deal with it or it will kill him.  

Just my theory.  Dad and MOM hang in there.  Dad is right about one thing.  He needs to get mom on board on not enabling the son to manipulate her.  Good luck parents.  

Replied By: sadiegirl1987 on Aug 21, 2014, 4:41PM
I agree with 'tough love', however I am disgusted by Tim's choice of words.  To tell your adopted son you should have driven past the hospital and gone to the Humane Society and picked up dogs instead.  To tell him you wish you had never adopted him.   Hell no, Tim.  That is going too far.  You got Adam as a gift from God as an infant and when he turned out not to be perfect, you wanted to give him back.  Stuff happens!  A lot of boys go off to college and it is in those critical years where the can develop manic depression and several other disorders.  From some of the drugs that kid was on at a young age, it's no wonder he is a mess.  However, he is now an adult and he needs to make the choice whether he wants to get to the  bottom of his troubles and deal with them as a man.  I just wish him so much luck to do the hard work so he can go on to lead a productive life.  I also know when it comes time for 'family week' at that rehab center, Tim and Karen will have to hear a lot they may not want to hear but they will have to deal with it.  I hope there is a recovery and a healing in store for all involved.

Replied By: impossibleme on Aug 21, 2014, 4:37PM
Watching this show It is exactly the life I live with My 23 yr old son. The kid i knew died after highschool, I dont even know him anymore. Its like ive grieved so much that hes already dead but im still tortured everyday by him and I am just waiting for him to kill me. I have said to myself that i wish i would have given him up for adoption or had an abortion. He was planned and i wanted a baby so bad so it is very bad when I wish I had given him up. I completely understand where this father is coming from. Im living it and I have no help. People that arent living in complete hell caused by the child they gave birth to cannot understand. I fear for my life everyday. And it absolutely kills me and breaks my heart that its from my own son. He is tormenting every person he comes in contact with. I raised him in Florida and I moved back to Georgia to get help from my family and i feel horrible that i have just unleased a monster on my  family. And now i have absolutely no one. They dont want anything to do with us and tell me everyday to take my son and go back to Florida. The police wont help, The mental hospitals wont help. Ive been told unless i have "deep pockets" was their exact words,that I will never get help.

Replied By: waikoloawahine on Aug 21, 2014, 4:30PM
Adam has been an "adult" for sometime now. He is nothing more than a garden variety addict who needs to hit bottom and work the steps with a sponsor. His dad is right, I'd be locking my door too. He needs to stop blaming his parents for his problems and grow up.

Replied By: lyn205 on Aug 21, 2014, 4:21PM
We can love our children and disapprove their behavior.

Young adults need to feel that their families love them. Children of adoption especially need this unconditional and committed love.

His dad needs to separate his feelings of disappointment from his feelings for his son.

Replied By: chinchilla61 on Aug 21, 2014, 4:20PM - In reply to smittydebby
I think they will find he is personality disordered, not bi-polar.

Replied By: chinchilla61 on Aug 21, 2014, 4:18PM - In reply to jolynn1991
agree

Replied By: abulea on Aug 21, 2014, 4:18PM
Sorry to say this, but I watched today's show and I saw a little flicker of a grin on Adam's face after Dr. Phil said he was unable to control his behavior and the father backed down.  He won.  I've been thru this scenario with a 'poor soul' who couldn't control herself unless everything was going her way.  This only prolongs the process.  I'm with the father.  The kid needs to be broken before he can get better.

Showing 1-10 of total 433 Comments