Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Siblings Tone and John say that they can’t stand their brother, Dan’s, fiancée, Shannon, and they want him to end the relationship now. They claim that Shannon is rude, foul-mouthed, selfish and manipulative and say that she constantly starts fights with them -- and with Dan. The siblings also claim that Shannon, a self-admitted recovering addict, still smokes pot and drinks, and they fear she’ll influence Dan, who is also in recovery, to start using again. Shannon insists that she’s being unfairly judged by Tone and John and claims that they’re responsible for stirring up all the family drama. Sparks fly when the feuding future in-laws come face to face on Dr. Phil’s stage. What does Dan -- who’s caught in the middle of the chaos -- have to say? Does he think he’s in danger of relapsing? Dr. Phil sorts through the allegations and takes a hard look at Shannon and Dan’s relationship -- does he think they’re ready to walk down the aisle? And, can he help this family broker a peace? (OAD: 11-22-13)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: nzder110 on Apr 13, 2014, 11:32PM - In reply to thornqvist
While I agree that they aren't ready for marriage yet, and I am guessing that message got through loud and clear, and the message about drug abuse got through loud and clear.  The issues that didn't really get discussed or resolved were the cruel interferring family.  Why on earth is it okay for them to abuse their brother's girlfriend and set double standards, and smuggly end the show thinking Dr Phil was on their side.  She would have to love this guy a lot to stay with him and put up with what in my opinion is the in laws from hell.

Replied By: kellcann on Mar 26, 2014, 1:40PM - In reply to thornqvist
dr phil needs to do a follow up and stick to the family issues. i agree now isnt the time for dan and shannon to get married, but they would probably be significantly closer if the sister wasnt being an evil puppetmaster. she's pulling on everyone's strings behind the scenes, and even when the brother was like "well, after this it could change." and toni flat out said "she's not going to change. we have to get her away from him." she sounds like a crazy jealous ex!

Replied By: kellcann on Mar 26, 2014, 1:37PM
i can agree that the whole pannel was a bit of a hot mess, but poor shannon. did dr phil not notice toni deviously smiling whenever anyone said anything to shannon or whenenver the poor girl tried to defend herself? watching that elfin little brat smirk and purse her thin evil lips was disgusting. "i'm not going to just let anyone marry my brother." how about she spends less time causing conflict for her brother trying to put his life togethere and she could spend a little more time fixing her own life.

Replied By: cam970 on Mar 23, 2014, 5:22PM
Shannon, get as far away from this lunitic family as you can.  Dan seems like a nice guy, but anyone who would marry a guy as weak as Dan is w/regard to his maniac alpha sister will live a life of misery. GET OUT NOW (unless Dan grows a pair)!

Replied By: thornqvist on Mar 22, 2014, 4:29PM
I think I am just going to reinterate what some others have said, but he totally let Tone and the brother off the hook, and missed an opportunity to help this family.  Yes, it's good that he addressed the drug issue and that they should continue to postpone the marriage, however, Tone and the other in-laws should have been SERIOUSLY redirected!!  If Dr. Phil had told them in no uncertain terms that the new girl friend shouldn't have to "prove" herself to them, and that their behavior was going to do nothing but alienate their brother and harm their family, maybe they would have had some reflection.  They left that show happy that Dr.Phil agreed with them and appeared to think that there should be no marriage, and that they had all behaved badly.  WRONG!  WRONG! WRONG! 

Dr. Phil, you need to have those folks back on--and set Tone and the rest of the in-laws straight.  Their brother will end up alone if they continue to have their way and think they aren't doing anything wrong, which will surely lead him to seek comfort in drugs!  You messed up this one!!

Replied By: diakrino on Mar 21, 2014, 9:25PM - In reply to trainachoo
Hear!  Hear!!!

Replied By: jazzysez on Mar 20, 2014, 3:50PM
Hey Dr. Phil, you let Ted Williams tromp all around before entering rehab but with these women you are always tougher and sometimes talk down to them . I have been noticing it quite a bit . You perhaps should examine this

Replied By: trainachoo on Mar 20, 2014, 1:33PM - In reply to adiebaileyc
I totally agree with you.  Dr Phil (who I usually agree with) really didn't address the issue with Tome to SHUT UP and BUTT OUT of someone else's relationship.  If they only had to deal with eachother, maybe they stay together and maybe they dont.  BUT, with his family all against them, they have to work together and it keeps them together - whether or not they would be if they were left alone to figure it out for themselves.

Replied By: speedyone on Mar 20, 2014, 1:07PM
If this fiancee doesn't set boundaries with his siblings, I can tell you their marriage will never work.  My husband told me that I can say whatever I want to his sister, but just know that I'm on my own.  Unfortunately, he told me that after we had two sons and eventually moved to within about 10 miles from his parents and two siblings.  I am not a confrontational person by nature and have only spoken my mind on three occassions in my 38 years of marriage to his sister.  With his attitude, it has not gone well.  I hope it all worked out for these two.

Replied By: gailsmithisler on Mar 20, 2014, 9:07AM - In reply to djzfan
Than you for taking the time to reply to my comment. I do agree with your views. I would like to say that everything is individual .  In our case, she did everything to undermine his sobriety .  She was not interested in getting clean.  He was handsome, but very shy..she showed an interest in him and that's all he needed.  She was in the NA group because it was court ordered for her. 

I am so sorry for the loss of your brother..you learn to live with it, but you never get over the premature death of someone  you love.

Thank you again for your advice.

GS

Showing 1-10 of total 359 Comments