Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Ty says his wife, Nicole, and mom, Katherine, have not seen each other or spoken in more than seven years, because Katherine has made several serious accusations against her daughter-in-law, including involvement in her 19-year-old son’s death in a car crash in 2006, political corruption and impersonating a lawyer -- allegations Nicole adamantly denies. Ty says his mother badgers him and his wife with persistent phone calls and threats, so much so that they moved their family -- including two children whom Katherine has never met -- more than 300 miles away, just to get away from her. Ty says his mother hasn’t been the same since his brother was killed, and he thinks she needs serious help. Tensions run high when the three come together on Dr. Phil’s stage. How does Katherine justify her concerns about her daughter-in-law? And, what does Nicole want to say to Katherine? Plus, a private investigator looks into Katherine’s claims against Nicole. What does he discover? And, can this family reach a truce? (OAD: 11-20-13)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: honeypot617 on Dec 1, 2014, 2:19PM - In reply to fruitstand52gi
So true...I agree!  She is obviously very sick, but the level of paranoia is truly disturbing.  She reminds me so much of a person I know named Frances, a woman who stalked my mother for 3 years and had a private detective checking our trash can.  What she was trying to find, I don't know, but the fact remains that people who act this way have a serious problem.  It is beyond crazy.  Katherine needs help but she must be willing to receive help.  I don't feel that she is open to Dr. Phil's advice.  She is convinced that her actions are OK and she is intent on destroying her son's marriage.

Replied By: honeypot617 on Dec 1, 2014, 2:06PM
I dated a guy in the past whose mother was very unpleasant...she hated me and I disliked her, too.  But in this situation it seems that Katherine (the mother in law) is very sick and disturbed.  I agree with everyone who said that this lady is mentally ill.  Her behavior is evil, but she needs help.  I feel sorry for her son and his wife because of what his mom has been putting them through.  If the wife, Nicole, truly seemed like a bad person then I would be on the mother's side...but Nicole seems like a nice person and Katherine is obviously suffering from paranoid delusions.  Maybe she hasn't been able to cope with the death of Ty's brother and it caused a mental breakdown; she is making false accusations and blaming people for things they didn't do.  I hope Dr. Phil has helped this family to heal.

Replied By: nzder110 on Apr 13, 2014, 11:24PM
Not an expert, but it did seem clear to me this lady had a mental illness of some sort.  I am sure once her son and daughter in law understand what that is, and she has been diagnosed and getting the help she needs, that they can feel sympathy and find foregiveness for what what must have been a terribly difficult and upsetting relationship.

Replied By: cdi1234 on Mar 31, 2014, 8:15PM - In reply to ams2283
While it is clear that this woman is suffering from some form of mental illness it is not schizophrenia. Firstly she does not meet the requirements for this diagnosis in the DSM-V the citeria for this disorder are as follows: 

Diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia:

A. Characteristic symptoms: Two (or more) of the following, each present for a significant portion of time during a 1-month period (or less if successfully treated): (1) delusions (2)       hallucinations (3)disorganized speech (e.g., frequent derailment or incoherence (4)  grossly disorganized or catatonic behaviour (5)negative symptoms, i.e., affective flattening, alogia (poverty of speech), or avolition (lack of motivation) Note: Only one Criterion A symptom is required if delusions are bizarre or hallucinations consist of a voice keeping up a running commentary on the person's behavior or thoughts, or two or more voices conversing with each other. B. Social/occupational dysfunction: For a significant portion of the time since the onset of the disturbance, one or more major areas of functioning such as work, interpersonal relations, or self-care are markedly below the level achieved prior to the onset (or when the onset is in childhood or adolescence, failure to achieve expected level of interpersonal, academic, or occupational achievement). C. Duration: Continuous signs of the disturbance persist for at least 6 months. This 6-month period must include at least 1 month of symptoms (or less if successfully treated) that meet Criterion A (i.e., active-phase symptoms) and may include periods of prodromal (symptomatic of the onset) or residual symptoms. During these prodromal or residual periods, the signs of the disturbance may be manifested by only negative symptoms or two or more symptoms listed in Criterion A present in an attenuated form (e.g., odd beliefs, unusual perceptual experiences). 

This woman has not had any break from these thoughts in 7 years in any psychotic disorder there are moments of clarity even when the patient is unmedicated.  In my professional opinion she is sufferen from PTSD brought on by the back to back traumas of losing her bid for election followed closely by the death of one of her son's and the near death or a second in the same accident. With the correct treatment which may or may not include the use of medication she can get better. 

The second part of your comment i wanted to address was saying she needs psychotropic medication. These medications in the psychotic population can help to control symptoms but many individuals still experience symptoms such as hearing voices etc... To just take away a persons individual freedoms because they are suffering is wrong. While she is delusional in believing her daughter-in-law is the cause of her problems it not a sign of psychosis as there are better fits in the DSM-V as far as diagnosis is concerned and as such any reputable clinician would not give this woman such an extreme life altering diagnosis without just cause. Further, it is rare to find any person with schizophrenia that would be diagnosed at such a late stage in life. Most people are diagnosed in their early 20's after they have their "first" psychotic break which according to her son she never displayed these symtoms until after these traumas.

Replied By: forevernprayer on Mar 23, 2014, 11:06AM
I was NOT completely swayed to believing the son and daughter in-law or the evidence that Dr. Phil investigator provided. I may have missed something but i did not hear any facts about the 666 claims? The daughters family history is suspect to me and her body language tells me she is hiding something. Most people are not aware or never heard of GANGSTALKING and everything that Katherine describes is evidence of that. Katherine sons death is very suspect and that is a tactic of GANGSTALKING also to make you look crazy...then ultimately drive you crazy. There is some truth to what the mother is suggesting she just don't have all the pieces YET.

Replied By: naturemum on Mar 21, 2014, 6:37PM
I thought my late ex-mother-in-law was nuts but compared to this one, she was a walk in the park. This woman's wiring is so fried it's scary. I don't know if anything or anyone can help this person, so she has to be kept away from the entire family. Dr.Phil may have met his match here.

Replied By: authorqueenieb on Mar 21, 2014, 3:50PM - In reply to salavanti
Truthfully, I do not know. But look at the world today , and look at the things that people are doing to each other. So whether your black, white, Spanish, Indian, it really doesn't matter because the things that people do today, it  is not surprising and it is not new. It all has happen before.

Replied By: loyalalways on Mar 21, 2014, 2:35PM
I've been thinking a lot about this show. Even though the mother-in-law sounds' way out there', I think her son's death had such an impact on her that she's lost touch with reality. Obviously she believes this stuff she's saying. It's really sad that her grief has caused so much pain and anguish for her. Hopefully Dr. Phil's doctors will be able to help her to get in touch with reality again.

There is absolutely NOTHING worse than the loss of a child. It doesn't matter how old or young that child was, it's beyond devastating!! I'd rather be torchered than lose one of my kids or grandchildren.

Replied By: salavanti on Mar 21, 2014, 12:55PM - In reply to authorqueenieb
Why would an educated black couple go on the show with a whacko woman.....

Replied By: gellie24 on Mar 21, 2014, 12:14PM
You know someone is way down the rabbit hole when simple PROVEABLE facts don't move them. When the whole thing with the multiple social security numbers and names in regards to the CA BAR was de-bunked, Mom couldn't even receive the information. She just moved the goal posts. That is the marker of someone who is TRULY 2 cokes short of a 6-pack. Dr. Phil offered her the help, but you could tell he already knows this is a lost cause. So what the son is gonna have to continue to do is maintain that distance. At the same time, he has to keep tabs on her because her level of delusion can get worse and that can make her dangerous.

Showing 1-10 of total 172 Comments