Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

Todd Herzog was just 22 when he won Survivor: China six years ago, and his family says he was on top of the world with his million-dollar winnings and newfound fame. But now, they say he's an alcoholic who drinks a half gallon of vodka every day, and has blood alcohol levels so high that doctors say he should be dead. Interventionists Debbie and Brandon help transport Todd to Los Angeles to meet with Dr. Phil. When he’s unable to walk on stage without assistance, the urgency of the situation becomes clear. Todd, clearly intoxicated, faces Dr. Phil and his family. Does he realize the severity of his condition? Dr. Ian Smith, from the Emmy Award-winning show, The Doctors, explains the toll Todd’s drinking is taking on his body. Todd, who has had multiple failed attempts at sobriety, says he wants to try to detox on his own -- without a treatment center. Will a surprise appearance by a close friend and fellow Survivor winner convince him that he has to get well? And will he accept the help that Dr. Phil offers?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: burleighbuddy on Feb 26, 2014, 5:17AM
I have just watched this episode - Australia must be behind the US as it is not mentioned this week on the website.

At any rate, though I usually appreciate the dramatic way interventions are presented on the Show ie: where the interviewees are surprised by Dr Phil's findings or whatever, I couldn't help feeling horrified by the way in which the Todd Hertzog intervention was presented.  Viewers were assured on several occasions by Dr Phil, by a nursing sister and a GP from the show the Doctors, that Todd was near deaths door (which I believe he is) and yet we had to listen to all the facts of alcohol addiction at various levels and seemingly laborious details about this young man's health, while more liver cells died inside him, by the minute.

i feel this was taking the dramatic content too far - seemingly dicing with a young mans life for the sake of dramatic television was disgusting.  Empathy was missing in spades from this episode and I hope you receive some like feedback to support my thoughts.  It was excruciating to sit through and hardly necessary to be experienced by all in 'reall' time.  

Replied By: drphilfanaust on Feb 26, 2014, 12:50AM - In reply to nodrog2
I don't see how you can think Dr Phil is using Todd for his own promotion. Yes it is a show but this man is obviously on deaths door and not everyone is so lucky to get help from Dr Phil. He helps so many people and u truely doubt he is doing it for his own selfish reasons. I don't think his family thought it was a laughing matter at either, you can see how much they are hurting and fearing for his life. I really hope Todd is able to get through this. It was heartbreaking to watch. I would love an update on his progress.

Replied By: nodrog2 on Feb 25, 2014, 7:49PM
I am watching your 'work' from Melbourne Australia. I am disgusted at you for using a clearly insane alcoholic for promotional purposes with what I can see is no informed consent from him whatsoever.  Yes I am a recovering Alcoholic and I am 11 years sober and I have been in 'interventions' or what we call 'helping others' so I do have some idea of the problem. I have no idea how this is legal but I suppose that's just the USA.

Replied By: sunlover66 on Dec 20, 2013, 10:41PM
I would love to know how Todd is doing. Is there going to be an update on him?

Replied By: cupid2011 on Nov 27, 2013, 10:06AM - In reply to anne4442000
At this point, he was probably admitted LEGALLY and against his will just to try to keep him alive.  There is a chance that with whatever help he gets, he will start to recover willingly.

Replied By: anne4442000 on Nov 27, 2013, 3:45AM
I just watched the show tonight, and my big issue was with the family.  First of all, they weren't very sad.  I would not be smiling if my son/brother has had a .50 BAC and is having seizures.  If the doctors have said that they have never seen someone with those blood alcohol levels who was not comatose, they shouldn't be proud - that's not a positive accomplishment.  They need to act fast.  And I thought Dr. Phil was going to open up a bag on all of them - they're the ones bringing him the alcohol, and from the looks of it, paying his bills and cleaning his condo.  Todd is pretty far gone, but his family looks like they're still early on in the process.  At this point, they should have stopped catering to him, stopped paying his bills & bringing vodka because they are ENABLING and prolonging the course of events.  And they need to stop smiling at him and offering help.  The appropriate action would be to drive him directly to rehab, do not pass go, do not collect $200, and above all do not stretch things out so he can go to a red carpet event.  I'm so glad that Dr Phil sent Todd to a rehab center - death would have been certain if someone didn't take him out of his situation.

Replied By: anne4442000 on Nov 27, 2013, 3:29AM - In reply to susielyn
I just watched the show today.  Yes, Todd smirked...but you have to consider the fact that he was drunk out of his mind - his BAC was over 3 times the legal limit.  I took issue with Dr. Phil even asking him to commit to treatment - at this point Todd couldn't even commit to keeping his shoes on.  He had no idea what was going on or where he was about to go.  It was probably just a rude awakening when he woke up from detox, and I'm sure he fought his situation at that point.  He acted like every other addict out there - charming, crying, agreeing to anything and proclaiming his love to anyone who stepped in front of his line of vision.  Don't worry about the smirk - watch what happens next.

Replied By: susielyn on Nov 25, 2013, 3:49PM - In reply to sherylkstone
If you noticed the smirk like I did when he "agreed" to get help, you will know that he doesnt want help, at least not yet. He objected to the 90 days in rehab. He isnt going to do anything to improve his life at this point. If he had truly been thankful for the help Dr Phil was offering, he would have accepted the 90 day rehab with some indication of being grateful and been thankful. He wasnt. You can do all kinds of things to try and help someone, but if they dont want help for themselves, nothing is going to work.

Replied By: susielyn on Nov 25, 2013, 3:42PM
Did anyone else notice the smirk on his face when he "agreed" to go to rehab? He has absolutely no intention of going to rehab. If he goes, it will be a facade. Some drunks you just cant save. And he is one of them. I pray for the family, there are going to be let down over and over.

Replied By: sherylkstone on Nov 24, 2013, 3:04PM
So sad for this young man I hope all goes well for him.

Showing 1-10 of total 205 Comments