Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

On March 2, 2012, 19-year-old Jacob “Jake” Limberios was fatally shot in the head in the presence of three friends. The coroner ruled his death a suicide -- but Jake’s parents, Mike and Shannon, say it doesn’t add up. They claim there was no investigation into Jake’s death, no evidence collected and no autopsy performed before Jake's death was ruled a suicide -- and they refuse to believe their son would take his own life. Jake’s family say a lot of questions remain unanswered, including: Who fired the shot? Two witnesses, Brittany and Will, adamantly maintain that Jake accidentally shot himself, but Mike and Shannon say their son knew how to handle guns safely and that the evidence doesn’t support that conclusion. Mike takes Dr. Phil cameras to the scene of the shooting to demonstrate why he believes that Jake was shot by someone else in the room. And, Brittany and Will face Mike and Shannon on Dr. Phil’s stage frustrated by the cloud of suspicion that they say still follows them as a result of Mike and Shannon’s allegations. When offered a chance to take a polygraph test, will they accept? Don’t miss this compelling two-part mystery. (OAD: 11-14-13)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: paulab12 on Oct 27, 2014, 8:19AM
Lie dectectors do not dectect lies but stress.  The inference is that if you are stressed you are lying.  They are not scientifically accurate that is why they are not used in court.  This family lost a son because he was drunk and playing about with a gun.  His fault no one else's now they want to destroy two young people's lives because they where crappy parents.

Replied By: jenamarie686 on Jul 8, 2014, 11:17AM
The results came back deceptive because you were LYING!!!! I feel awful for the parents, never have I seen a man so sad I couldn't keep back my tears!! I'm sure it was an accident but own up to it, they know what happened so finally give his parents some peace and just tell them the truth!!

Replied By: froggygurl8775 on Jul 4, 2014, 5:45AM - In reply to psychray
I'd have to agree with what you've said. I feel this way as well

Replied By: andreazeld7 on Jul 2, 2014, 12:36PM
I looked at some YouTube videos, and it's just aggravating the way the parents have behaved. The whole "Justice for Jacob" thing is absolute overkill. You would think that his murderer is still on the loose the way they carry on. But, no, the truth is that Jacob should not have brought a loaded gun to the house. The parents need to step up to the plate and face that reality. But, instead, they are putting these three young people through more torment and pain. Yes, the system screwed up. But, don't punish others for your son's bad judgement. It's good that the death certificate was corrected. Hopefully the harrassment has stopped since then.

Replied By: psychray on Jun 13, 2014, 3:15AM
Here is my theory, based on my experience both as a clinician and a parent, my intuition, the recording of the 911 call and the teens’ behavior during the show.

• Regardless of whose “fault” this was, I believe Brittaney was the one who ended up physically shooting Jacob.
  • This was an accident. Both teens were badly traumatized by the accident and the guilt.
  • The decision not to tell the truth was made by both teens (and perhaps the third one as well). Will was covering for Brittaney. All 3 teens share the responsibility for lying, which makes it easier for her to stick to her story.
  • The teens believe that this whole thing was Jacob’s fault and that his actions led to the accident. They see themselves as innocent. Just like the father said, they were victims too.
If Jacob were my son, I would feel guilty about allowing him access to a weapon. This is too much responsibility for a 19 year old. Unfortunately, there is no one person who is guilty here. There was a series of bad choices, made by more than one person, which led to this terrible tragedy.

Replied By: ljones018 on Jun 12, 2014, 11:58AM
Such a tragic story. I have tried looking thru much of the text but I have not seen info about gun powder residue. Were the three friends tested for gun powder residue on their hands. And were Jacobs hands tested? They said they all had been shooting the gun. Can it be determined if the residue was fresher or newer than the others, possibly indicating who fired the gun last?

Replied By: mrsflash on Jun 12, 2014, 1:46AM
My heart goes out to the parents of this child..I watched the show and I honestly don't believe their son took his own life.I think the teens know more than they are telling by hearing the results of the lie detector test.I believe they are afraid to tell what really happened although ,I don't think they had anything to do with the killing but,I do think they are covering up for someone else or it could have been an accidental shooting and they don't want to tell who did it.I hope someday these parents find out what really happened. I couldn't begin to know what they are going threw but I know if it was me I wouldn't stop until I found out who did it.

Replied By: breith on Jun 11, 2014, 7:55PM
It saddens me for the parents as well as for Jacob. I certainly feel that the two witnesses that appeared on the show recall exactly what happened and remember Forensics don not lie! Many years ago my brother took his own life while we were all at home and believe me...that day replays in my memory like a horror movie no matter how much I wish it away.

Replied By: breith on Jun 11, 2014, 7:50PM - In reply to detrain
Interesting how he was advised by his lawyer.........

Replied By: breith on Jun 11, 2014, 7:47PM - In reply to karen1110
Yes Karen you are so right!!

Showing 1-10 of total 486 Comments