Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

It was a story that shocked America, and in a riveting two-part series, Dr. Phil speaks exclusively to one of the women who lived to tell it. The first of three women abducted by Ariel Castro and held for more than a decade, Michelle Knight, breaks her silence to reveal the story of what happened inside Cleveland’s now notorious house of horrors. She recounts the horrific, unrelenting physical, sexual and mental abuse she says she endured throughout her captivity in Castro’s Cleveland home. Hear the unspeakable acts of cruelty she says was subjected to, what she says gave her the strength to endure his more than 10 years of torture, and how she says she almost escaped during her first year of captivity! She also reveals what happened when Castro kidnapped his second victim. What took place the very first time they saw each other in the house? What was the dynamic between the two women? Plus, don’t miss part two tomorrow, when she talks about the arrival of a third abductee -- and the day when, after so many years of terror, the women were finally rescued. The following program contains strong sexual content. Viewer discretion advised.

Find out what happened on the show.

If you would like to make a donation to help Michele Knight's future, please click here.
Comments
Replied By: ibeamee on Dec 20, 2013, 8:38AM
Dear Dr Phil,
I have just watched the 2nd part of Michelle's story which aired here in Australia tonight. She is an inspiration!  Her compassion and empathy is just amazing .. and I definitely do not see her as a victim after hearing her story. To have endured what she did, hearing day after day that her family didn't love her and to still feel for other people to the extent that she did; to continue to want to protect people and shield them from harm just blows me away. She may not think she's intelligent but I have to disagree - she would have to be one of the smartest and kindest women I have ever heard of ... she deserves the very best that life can offer her now and the world is her oyster.  I hope she comes to enjoy life with her son and eventually with her grandchildren. And somehow, I think the world hasn't heard the last of her - I can see her helping people in some field of women's or child protection because her heart is so big. I have been out of work for most of the year due to bipolar disorder so I'm not in a position to donate to her fund right now so all I can do is send her my warmest wishes and my admiration.  She's a hero to me... xoxo

Replied By: suzy76 on Dec 8, 2013, 11:24PM
OMG,  as I watched this poor girl tell Dr Phil her story I just felt so sad for her, to think that she was hated so much that no one cared about her. 

I wanted to reach through my computer screen and hug her and tell her that people do care, complete strangers care about her and she is so brave, I have had a complete psycho pull up his care next to me on my way to workand try to lure me into his car in August of last year, and I don't know how, but I managed to run, I was terrified, but I did get away. 

I think it is important to teach our children, not only about strangers, but about trusting their instincts even when they feel uncomfortable around people they do know, and that if someone does try to touch you or says something inappropriate, that you as their parent will believe them despite what that person tells them.   I told my children that if someone does try to take them and tell them that their family doesn't care, don't believe that for a minute, I told my kids to remember 3 very important things 1. abductors will play mind games, they will tell you that your parents don't care, don't love you and aren't out there looking for you, they will tell you nobody cares. 2. If someone does manage to grab you, make a scene, try to make it as impossible as hell for them to put you in that car, if they do, try from the inside to disconnect at least a tail light so they have more chance of being pulled over by the police. 3. I love them so much that if anyone is stupid enough to take them, the sicko would want to hope the police catch them before their father and I do. 

I would love to one say talk to Michelle, I would love to let her know that my family cares about her welfare and wish her the very best, I would understand her not wanting to talk with strangers after what she has been through, but would be happy for Dr Phil to give her my email if she ever wants more friends and support. 

Replied By: cupid2011 on Nov 14, 2013, 10:18AM - In reply to dogluver1970
Hope we were able to shed some light and answered your question.  

Hope you get your computer fixed.  Keep posting. Look forward to reading your posts on the Dr. Phil community boards. 

Replied By: dogluver1970 on Nov 11, 2013, 2:28PM - In reply to cupid2011
I wrote a whole long response to all of your guys' thoughtful responses to my OP (thanks for not slamming me!!), but my computer shut down and I lost it,,,grrrrrr. Perhaps I'll try and recreate...

Replied By: rhondag on Nov 10, 2013, 7:32PM
Michelle,

thank you so much for sharing your amazing story of strength , faith, and will to survive.  I pray the rest of our life is filled with joy and love.  I was wondering if you had the opportunity to be reunited with your son?  Dr. Phil thank you for sharing this story. 

Rhonda

Replied By: jennysgram on Nov 10, 2013, 8:36AM - In reply to mariecolleen
All I know is what I saw.  Dr. Phil appeared to be waiting for a response from Michele, and Michele did respond.  Responses are not necessary when it's a rhetorical question, so obviously it was taken as a question - period.  I wondered why it was asked in the first place.

Michele, thank you for consenting to do this interview with Dr. Phil.  Although it was horrific recounting your very long and extremely arduous captivity, I was uplifted by the spirit you showed throughout.  Above all, I will remember your smile!

Replied By: lizzeee on Nov 8, 2013, 12:26PM - In reply to natinchicago
Dear Dr. Phil:  I am so pleased that you had this wondeful, brave girl on to explain how she managed to survive themost horrific time of her life.  She is also my hero.  I hope she gets all of the help she deserves and it seems that she is rising above the true tragedy that she suffered through.  With you beside her i am sure she will be victorious.  She is one brave and beautiful peson.

Replied By: natinchicago on Nov 8, 2013, 3:04AM
I agree with what everyone else has said about Michelle Knight. She is so amazing, with such strength and courage, there are no words to describe it adequately. Not only did she somehow manage to survive over a decade in the most horrifying conditions anyone could be in, she maintained her humanity, her compassion for others. Ariel Castro, a man who lost his humanity (if he ever had any) could not crush his victim to the point of stealing her humanity from her. She is definitely the victor here. I'm going to donate to her fund with a sense of honor. She deserves all the resources and support society can offer her so that she can build a new life for herself that will bring her comfort, pleasure and fulfillment. She embodies the true human spirit.

Replied By: jeanfromwa on Nov 7, 2013, 10:49PM
I was touched by Michelle Knight.  I don't think I will ever forget her.  What a powerhouse of a human spirit she has in her.  The fact that she came out of that house with her compassion intact is amazing.  She still shows much care and concern for others and still such deep pain.  All I wanted to do was give her a hug and tell her how in awe I am of her.   Michelle  - if you're reading these, please know you are my hero.  God bless you and I pray you and your son find each other again.

Replied By: kellymstetler on Nov 7, 2013, 5:23PM
How could this possibly happen in this country?  I hope people are donating lots of money for Michelle Knight. She deserves SO much more; however, possibly money can help relieve some of life's stresses.

Showing 1-10 of total 133 Comments