Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Sara says after her 23-year marriage fell apart, her three children turned on her -- and she blames her ex-husband, Mark, for brainwashing them against her. Mark says Sara is irrational and hostile and has harassed their kids with angry emails and phone calls, causing them to withdraw from her. Sara says she’s so determined to reclaim a place in her children’s lives, she started a campaign to fight Parental Alienation Syndrome (PAS), and even launched a website, using examples from her own life to make an impact. Mark claims the website is filled with lies and has become a personal attack against him -- and only fuels their children's anger. Hear why Mark and his new wife, Mikel, say they are afraid of Sara and each obtained a restraining order against her. After cutting off contact with Sara a year ago, Mark and Mikel temporarily lift their protective orders to face her on Dr. Phil’s stage. Can these exes put the past behind them and make peace? Plus, Sara and Mark’s 22-year-old daughter, Julie -- who hasn’t seen her mother in more than four years -- joins the discussion. Is she open to fixing their broken relationship?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: gerard2015 on Nov 22, 2014, 12:26PM
Wow a lot of medics claiming all kind of diagnoses. 

Yes parental alienation is real. May be the mother does have some shortages in her parenting ( all parents have) but often these shortages are enlarged by the other parent to start alienation in cases where children do not want to see the other parent anymore.

The father tells he doesn't forbid the children to see their mother and he wants them to have have a good relationship with the mother. I hear the mother of my children speaking. 

I have taken care of my children for seven years with the mother, after we divorced we co-parented another seven years. And suddenly the children left and never came bakc, that has been two years ago. Yes i had the usual problems with my starting to be a teener son. And yes i can be a strict parent. From day one i tried to get in touch with the mother (we live 300 yards away from eac other) to solve the problems. She refused, instead she started accusing me of being agressive to the children, threatening to the children ,stalking them (when walking in my neighbourhood to do some shopping) at the same time not trying to get in touch with them...........
I consulted a lawyer and did several attempts to get in touch with the mother. After ten months i decided to go to court. She accused me of living my own life while the children stayed with me (rather strange as my friends experienced the other side), not loving them. that they only had to listen. She accused me of all those things while she never entered my house in the seven years we co-parented nor did she want to speak personnally she only wanted to email).
The judge spoke with the children and did not find anything regarding the accusations of aggresion etc. I told the judge that i wanted to listen to the children and hear what their complaints were. The mother refused all proposals of the judge in order to try to solve the problems. Finally the judge told us to go to a commercial education center (this is on a voluntary basis). And again the mother did not cooperate. We had to go back to court i proposed several other things to the mother, she refuses. So in october this year the judge ordered an investigation by the authority of child welfare. (this is not voluntary). Mother reacted: he has to improve his relation with the children and acknowledge his bad behaviour to the children.
Now how i am to improve while their mother refuses all kind of consulting/mediation. What do i need to acknowledge. I have no clue what the complaints are of the children. I want to hear it from the children and not from the demonizing mother of my children. A mother who told my daughter when she was 8 years old that she could change her name into her mother's name a mother who told my son of 11 years old that i had been on softdrugs when i was 18-21 years before i met their mother. A mother who played powerball regarding the remains of my other son ( she finally took the remains of my deceased son) as she was afraid that i would throw away the ashes of my son (sick in her head)

Replied By: ainnat on Oct 24, 2014, 4:26PM
I think this women needs help because she's mental unstabe. 

That was my impression from the show.

So i hope with therapie and help frol dr Phil she'll feel better and can see everthing.in a normal perspection .

mayby that wood help the situation. 

Replied By: strine on Sep 1, 2014, 12:15AM
I saw a woman being made fun of and an incomplete picture. The whole episode the audience were encouraged to laugh at her. If she has a mental problem, she would have felt bad afterwards being targeted as the only one with a problem there. After being laughed at repetitively.

I don't know that he alienated her from the kids, but it sounds like she doesn't know how to express herself and feels alone and the kids have been separated from her for years. What happened after the divorce? Did the ex husband not let her see the kids? Did he get them because he had more money? Too much was left out to justify making fun of her and fully believing the ex husband (including believing he doesn't rort money because he knows a religious person).

Replied By: mesdad on Aug 14, 2014, 2:22AM
At this time, I would like to share the resource that has been far and away the most useful in helping me understand and deal with the dynamics that are involved in PA. If you are a targeted parent experiencing Parental Alienation, if you are a mental health professional, or if you are an advocate for kids then you really should check out the work that Dr. Craig Childress is doing.  He totally connects the dots on how PA happens and supports everything that he says with a tremendous amount of scientific rigor.  

He takes the explanation of PA to a completely different level than what others have contributed to the field. If you are experiencing PA, you will continually nod your head in agreement with what he has written on the topic.  If you are a mental health professional, you will be impressed by the work that he has done and you will appreciate that Dr, Childress has done the heavy lifting that will allow mental health to speak with a unified voice to address this egregious form of child abuse which results from pathogenic parenting.

For your sake, please check out

1) his blog

http://drcraigchildressblog.com/,

2) his website

http://www.drcachildress.org/asp/Site/ParentalAlienation/index.asp

3) the Youtubes that he has put together which very clearly and thoroughly explain the dynamics of PA.  

For other's sake, please share this resource with as many other target parents and PA advocates as you can.  

His Attachment-Based PA theory involves 3 levels of analysis 1) the Family Systems Level  2) the Personality Disorder Level  and 3) the Attachment System Level.  Dr. Childress has a knack for making what is complex on the surface very understandable.  Furthermore, everything that he writes is at all times supported rigorously by established psychological constructs as opposed to anecdotal indicators.

Once again, I strongly urge you to study his work and just as important to share it with others who are in positions that involve making decisions that are made on behalf of the best interests of children.

Replied By: mesdad on Aug 14, 2014, 2:21AM
At this time, I would like to share the resource that has been far and away the most useful in helping me understand and deal with the dynamics that are involved in PA. If you are a targeted parent experiencing Parental Alienation, if you are a mental health professional, or if you are an advocate for kids then you really should check out the work that Dr. Craig Childress is doing.  He totally connects the dots on how PA happens and supports everything that he says with a tremendous amount of scientific rigor.  

He takes the explanation of PA to a completely different level than what others have contributed to the field. If you are experiencing PA, you will continually nod your head in agreement with what he has written on the topic.  If you are a mental health professional, you will be impressed by the work that he has done and you will appreciate that Dr, Childress has done the heavy lifting that will allow mental health to speak with a unified voice to address this egregious form of child abuse which results from pathogenic parenting.

For your sake, please check out

1) his blog

http://drcraigchildressblog.com/,

2) his website

http://www.drcachildress.org/asp/Site/ParentalAlienation/index.asp

3) the Youtubes that he has put together which very clearly and thoroughly explain the dynamics of PA.  

For other's sake, please share this resource with as many other target parents and PA advocates as you can.  

His Attachment-Based PA theory involves 3 levels of analysis 1) the Family Systems Level  2) the Personality Disorder Level  and 3) the Attachment System Level.  Dr. Childress has a knack for making what is complex on the surface very understandable.  Furthermore, everything that he writes is at all times supported rigorously by established psychological constructs as opposed to anecdotal indicators.

Once again, I strongly urge you to study his work and just as important to share it with others who are in positions that involve making decisions that are made on behalf of the best interests of children.

Replied By: susielyn on Aug 7, 2014, 9:31AM - In reply to mikesb
The only thing I can think of why he let her keep interrupting and acting like a fool, which iritated me as well I wanted to shove a dirty sock in her mouth, was that maybe, just maybe she would see how she looked. Or, it could be Dr P wanted to let the different organizations out there that deal with real parental alienation, that this bat crap crazy woman was not someone they wanted to associate with. I'm sure she told everyone she was going to be on Dr Phil, so her whole "audience" got a good look at what she really is, NUTJOB! 

Replied By: danger021010 on Jul 14, 2014, 10:37PM
This show was about a mentally ill woman.  Her grown up siblings were setting healthy boundaries against and in support of a woman who is not being treated properly for a multitude of mental health issues.

I would like to convey to people out there that PAS is an offense by one parent against another, in which systematically the alienating parent strips the relationship he/she (victim) had with their children, but also systematically destroys familial ties of the victim.  So the children are turned against the alienated parent, and also the family of that parent.  Although this is a watered down version of what occurs - which is horrific, I felt compelled to comment that this show was not an appropriate depiction of the horrors of parental alienation. 

The horrible thing to know about parental alienation is similar to how Hitler was able to exact his horrific campaign against the Jews....  it also works!  

I hope there is more about this phenomena, of course I am going through my own trials and tribulations, with 3 boys of my own who have been compromised by this effective campaign by my x wife.

My heart goes out to others who have also been faced with the dessimation of their love for their children. 

Replied By: sunshine2014 on Jun 15, 2014, 12:50PM
I just watched this show for the second time and i have to say i am quite disappointed as to how this show was aired.  To me this show was making a mockery of Parental Alienation.  Making it out that one is mentally unstable.  I have been a victim of Parental Alienation.  I have 2 children and when my ex left me for another woman it was very devestating for all of us.  I was unaware of Parental Alienation at the time. Looking back now the telltale signs began right at the beginning.  I know for a fact that the reason my ex did this was he did NOT want to pay child support.  He managed to 'take' my daughter at the age of 12 but not my son (he was 10) . My ex managed to manipulate the psychologist (& he was a poor pyschologist) in saying this was \her' decision and he had no influence.  6 years later my daughter is speaking to me now, we are trying to start a new relationship but she still has to 'hide' things from her Dad.
  My point to all this is that Parental Alienation IS Real.  Please do not make such a mockery of it.

Replied By: mkf1985 on Jun 10, 2014, 4:37PM - In reply to mkf1985
Also, the crazy stream of relentless emails, voicemails, uninvited house calls, etc going on into my adulthood. Totally relateable. I hate to speak I'll of the dead and say this but the only time I got relief was when she finally got dementia so bad she could no longer harass me (and her other children) and finally died. So sad that someone could be so incrediblt toxic that their death marked the beginning of my own function and healthy adulthood. Anyway I hope the dad is sincere and at least the children can have one semi "normal" parent figure. I did not have this. I can see why he left that situation and protected the kids. This is not how a "normal" person would act in this situation So weird.

Replied By: mkf1985 on Jun 10, 2014, 4:17PM
This is not on the topic of PA but I appreciate you letting me post. Watching this show was very eery for me. Sara is very similar to my (now deceased) grandmother who raised me from infancy (I am 28 now). I was wondering if she has a personality disorder? I read elsewhere that she may have Borderline PD. I could never figure out my grandma but can relate to the cutting daughter hiding in her bathroom and feeling like she was always being yelled at and scolded for something, no matter what you did or did not do, it was wrong. Nothing was ever good enough but I never knew what I should do to please her so I gave up. I cut and had trichotillamania and dermotillamania from age 8 on. Anyway, my situation was different and my grandma was not as severe or extreme in how she acted but I saw a lot of similarities with the kind of fake acting over the top "emotions" she displayed, and her mannerisms like when she stood up to look at the projector, and hugged Dr Phil, fake smile and cry, just how it was so over the top and lacking in sincerity, and her placing blame on everyone but herself (to be fair, I'm sure she was not all to blame but just the failure to accept that she had done anything wrong ever and "forgetting" incidents when she needed to accept responsibility and apologize was so similar to my grandma). I grew up alone with a woman similar to Sara (different situation) and I don't know what good it would do to figure out her diagnosis, my therapist said she sounded like she may have been "a bit of a narcissist". It was just really surreal to see this woman on TV, like my grandma from beyond the grave but Sara was probably 3 times worse. My heart goes out to this family. This must be a living hell for all of them, includinf Sara. Thanks again.

Showing 1-10 of total 496 Comments