Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

For more than a year, 65-year-old widow Gilda says she has been in a romantic relationship with “Eric,” whom she met online and has yet to meet in person or even speak to over the phone. She admits she’s sent Eric tens of thousands of dollars -- nearly draining her life savings and even selling the family home, in part, to come up with the funds. She says Eric has promised to pay her back, as soon as he returns to the U.S. from London. Gilda’s sons, Paul and Cary, and daughter-in-law, Linda, believe Gilda has fallen victim to a catfish, or online imposter, and they fear she’ll end up bankrupt and homeless. Cary says his mom has been acting like a lovesick teenager -- hiding her cell phone to conceal her communications with Eric, lying about what she’s doing and where she’s going -- and even sending him topless photos! He says he has gotten so frustrated that he has kicked her out of his home. Is Gilda being duped? Dr. Phil enlists the help of private investigator Doug Kane to track down details on “Eric.” Plus, he has two surprises for Gilda. Is she ready for the truth? And, tune in tomorrow to see what happens when Dr. Phil confronts a catfish, in-studio. Why did she carry out such a deception?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: lagana619 on Jan 6, 2014, 2:40PM
I just want you to know this has happened to me also and your not alone. I have lost a lot of  money also.

People should not be judging but try to understand how things like this can happen. Your lonely you lost your husband just like I did and here someone comes along and is not paying attention to you. I meet one on Seniors. com and the other on match.com. It was a hard lesson to lean but I have gone into debit to besides giving him the funds i did have. It was just one think after another. He was in South Africa working on a mall.

I checked it out and there was a mall being built he even gave me an address in NC and i checked it out.

They made that connection with you and before you know it you find it hard to say no. Anyone out there judging is wrong you can have an opinion but do not judge until you know how it feels. You can be alone in a croweded room. I have taken myself off of all sites. But before doing so I meet this guy but I texted him.

All the others will text you first. He has not asked me for a dime but has told me about a firm in Ca that goes after people like this. He said he had lost 120,000. So I am being very careful because I am not sure if there is such a place. I would love to know if there is I have the email address of the place

lawyer@walterbrookschambers.com

I did find this on the internet and have spoken to him but how do one find out if this is a legimate place.

I have  no idea . I would be interested if anyone has any ideas. He is saying he can recover 80% of what I lost. I welcome anyone . I was thinking hiring a Private Investigator but who do you hire??? WHo do you trust its so hard

Replied By: shopgirl627 on Nov 7, 2013, 9:48AM
I just can't understand how people, women, fall for this kind of things.  Really?  Almost  $200K for someone you haven't even met?  Sell your home for this person on the other side of a text conversation, really???

This is truly beyond me.  I can understand someone getting lonely, but go this far for a stranger? 

I've been on my own for some years now and I don't even get nor feel lonely.  I fill my life with work, family, home projects, etc.  Sure, I've been on dating websites, but, if I was truly looking for someone, I'd look for someone in my city, or at least, in the state!!!

Its insane how this woman, and so many other people, has lost forever $200K, plus their heartache!!!

Replied By: shopgirl627 on Nov 7, 2013, 9:47AM
I just can't understand how people, women, fall for this kind of things.  Really?  Almost  $200K for someone you haven't even met?  Sell your home for this person on the other side of a text conversation, really???

This is truly beyond me.  I can understand someone getting lonely, but go this far for a stranger? 

I've been on my own for some years now and I don't even get nor feel lonely.  I fill my life with work, family, home projects, etc.  Sure, I've been on dating websites, but, if I was truly looking for someone, I'd look for someone in my city, or at least, in the state!!!

Its insane how this woman, and so many other people, has lost forever $200K, plus their heartache!!!

Replied By: jodyoz on Nov 6, 2013, 4:38PM - In reply to anne444
how long have you been alone?  ever lost a husband and then had your adult kids bribe you with your grandkids?  It's easy to jugde

Replied By: jodyoz on Nov 6, 2013, 4:33PM - In reply to deblynch2
becareful about judging and being so harsh.

Replied By: jodyoz on Nov 6, 2013, 4:29PM
I can't believe that the show made her out to be such a joke.  Look at her devastation -  lost her husband, her kids are bribing her with her own Grand kids. She  traded her house to be loved again. She's made these decisions and gave a lot more than everything away.  I feel that it's such a shame for her  to made out to be such a joke. Nothing funny about all that pain and devastation.  

Gilda, please find some help. Don't listen to all those who laugh and criticize. That was your money. Didn't belong to your kids, yet,

Replied By: voltaicbelle on Nov 2, 2013, 11:25PM
My husband, who has Mensa Club level intelligence (but not high "street smarts") - was nearly duped by a Craigslist scammer when he sold his season football tickets online.  *I* who have a high level of "street smarts" (and average intelligence) caught it within a few seconds of reading the first email and stopped it before my husband sent the tickets.

This woman obviously led a very sheltered life, so it is of no surprise to me that she got herself into this predicament.  It's a shame her sons weren't able to end this sooner, but I totally understand their perspective.

My father met a woman online (eHarmony) after he was widowed, who took nearly every penny he had.  We warned him multiple times what she was doing, and he was beginning the divorce process two months before he died -but sadly, he passed away before the divorce was final and she got every penny in his bank account since he hadn't yet changed everything over into his children's names as beneficiaries (his will was changed, the bank accts were the last thing he was working on before he passed suddenly) - The money he promised would go towards my and my children's education is gone.  I tried for four years to convince him she was sucking him dry - there's only so much you can do when you're dealing with an adult.

All the warning signs were there - even before they got married.  She referred to him as having a "designer dog" and swooned over his paid for new luxury car and talked non-stop about the "expensive, gated-community" in which he lived.  She rushed him into marriage and even had him pay off her $60k tax lein before they got married....after marriage, despite their pre-nup that they were to keep their money separate - she convinced him to buy her houses in her name (which she flxed up and rented out).

My dad was a college educated man - and an insurance agent (who knew of such fraud) for 35yrs -and even HE was duped....

I'm glad Dr. Phil is doing this - I want him to talk more about this since it's happening more and more - ESPECIALLY to our senior citizens.  Thank you Dr. Phil!

Replied By: lindabthompson on Nov 2, 2013, 5:24PM
this woman is my age.  i cannot believe how foolish this woman is.  without seeing this man - without talking with this man  == she keeps sending him tons of money !!!!  even sending him a hundred dollars is too much as far as i am concerned.  now, she will most likely have to get a job and start saving her money.  money her husband worked so hard for is gone.  her paid for house is gone.  i cannot believe she would SELL HER PAID OFF HOUSE !!!!    i am aghast !!!   now she will have to pay the price - the consequences of her actions. and her reactions were so odd -- perhaps she was on some super duper meds or something
 - talk about a blank affect, dr. phil -- i cannot believe you didn't mention something about it.  her adult kids had more of a reaction than she did.  she is living, now, in a 2 bedroom townhouse.  i wonder how long she will be able to do that.  i bet she will have to move in with one of her kids -- i know i would, if i did what she did.   i almost would feel sorry for her if she would have shed one tear - but she didn't. she just sat there and had that odd grin on her face.  very very strange, to say the least ---    to change the subject, i will not be able to watch next tuesday or wednesday  -- i would like to be able to sleep, and i know i would not be able to after having those visuals in my head. my heart goes out to that poor young woman.  i have cried and cried for her -- i wish i could give her a big hug, but i am still suffering from the ill effects of stage 4 cancer treatments, and i know my limits --- i hope you can help her, dr. phil -- if anybody can, it's you -- please find her a good therapist, cause she sure needs one -- xoxoxo  linda in santa cruz ps thank you and all your staff for all your good work -- xoxo

Replied By: deblynch2 on Nov 2, 2013, 9:12AM
i think people who scam people like this should be found, arrested and prosecuted for fraud. if they were less people would make a living off of scamming other people. police and law enforcement should put some time and effort into finding these people and not just overlooking these crimes. i know the victims are gulable and stupid, but it should be a huge crime in my opinion.

Replied By: deblynch2 on Nov 2, 2013, 9:08AM
it is because of women like her that men take advantage of women. why is she smiling?she seems a little crazy to me

Showing 1-10 of total 138 Comments