Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Dr. Phil continues his discussion with Brenda and Drew, who are at odds over the way she says Drew treats Brenda’s children. Brenda claims Drew is abusive to her 14-year-old son and 20-year-old daughter and fears his anger will escalate to the point where he seriously injures them. Drew says he’s just trying to make a man out of Austin, and says Destiny, who is intellectually challenged, is a lot smarter than she leads people to believe, and he wants to prepare them for the real world. Dr. Phil’s wife, Robin, has a strong message for Brenda and confronts Drew about his behavior. And, Dr. Charles Sophy, Medical Director for Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services, has a stern warning for both parents. Then, nearly three years ago, Lauren says her 2-year-old daughter was brutally abused and murdered by her stepmother. Hear why she says she blames herself for her baby’s death. Can she heal from such a painful loss? This program contains strong language. Viewer discretion advised. (OAD: 10-23-13)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: gantt158 on Jul 8, 2014, 3:17PM
If the mom was under court order she should sue the state she lives in because they failed her and her daughter.

Replied By: gantt158 on Jul 8, 2014, 3:14PM
Im very sorry about the young mom who lost her child due to an evil person. What i dont understand is why nothing was done before the next incidents before this childs death. So many children have died due to the hands of the parent rather mother or father or stepparent. These things can be avoided if people would reallyopen there eyes and listen to there kids. If my daughter had been screaming and hollering no way would i have left my daughter with these people. After my child came home with a black eye her father would never see my daughter again and the woman would have been in jail. I feel sorry for mothers that arent doing what they should to protect there children. Stop turning a blind eye and pay close attention to your children at all costs please. I hope this mom gets help for herself but i also hope that if she has any more kids she listen to her child so that this tragedy doesnt happen again.

Replied By: moonglow38 on Jul 2, 2014, 4:27PM
My heart goes out to that young mother that lost her little daughter to apparently a very cruel lady! I wish they had the death penalty in every state for cases like this. I wonder if the dad wasn't charged too? Unless a person has experience with childhood abuse they really don't know what signs too look for...which is why those signs were listed at the end of the show. I have read a number of sad stories of child abuse on here..it shouldn't be that hard to get help for our children but it is! I know. My husband was emotionally and verbally abusive towards me and after our divorce he started in on our little son who had no way to defend himself.  I knew what signs too look for only because I had held several jobs working with children and we were taught the signs. My son would also scream and run and hide when his dad came to pick him up.  I did check him all the time for signs of physical abuse but never found anything. Its very hard to prove emotional abuse. I also went to everyone I could think of for help but nothing was done. If things hadn't turned out the way they did, I am sure he would have started physically abusing our son. But he got himself in trouble with the law and ended up in prison which was a blessing!

It still did alot of damage to my son and it has taken years for him to get over it but now he is a happy, healthy 18 year old. I also didn't date...to protect him! He went through enough and I just couldn't take the chance of some boyfriend or step dad doing further damage to him. I have chosen to stay single because I was the one that decided to have him...give birth to him and keep him. Its my responsibility to keep him as safe as I can.  I have a big problem with parents that think they can't bear to be alone and would rather sacrifice their children like this other mother who married that abusive man.  I honestly do not understand how she can sit there and say she and her husband have a good relationship when he treats her kids like this. I would be fuming all the time!  I realize she feels she did her best and would stand up for her kids, but it didn't stop him from doing it again and again and again.  The only way to stop it is to leave him...take the kids and never go back. This guy really lucked out on getting help from Dr. Phip and I am glad he realized something was wrong in what he was doing. And I understand he didn't have a good father figure to teach him how to be a dad...but gosh, read a few parenting books...take some parenting classes. He was the one making everyone else miserable.

I don't know if this show was a repeat or not but I sure hope he changed his way and if not, she needs to put the love of her kids first and leave him. I promise she won't die of loneliness.  She has her children too after all.

Replied By: janetwoodard on Jul 2, 2014, 11:56AM
I am just disgusted with the response of so many people wanting to judge the mother & not having all the facts. My grandson is being abused by his stepmother (verbally & emotionally) and it has been crazy trying to get help from anyone. My daughter has sought advice from CPS, the court system, a lawyer, a child counselor, her own counselor, a guardian ad lidem, co parenting counselor (a joke) and nothing has been resolved. The court has mandated visits with the father (father's rights). He is a controlling, lying, narcisistic person who wants to get revenge because my daughter left him. She has spent almost every single penny to protect her child & is being ordered by the law to send him over to those sick people anyway. He is both physically & verbally abusive to my daughter & grandson. How in the world can you stop this cycle of abuse if no one recognizes what it is and thinks the mother is over reacting?

Replied By: janetwoodard on Jul 2, 2014, 11:39AM - In reply to wjacklyn
Obviously, you don't know a thing about our court system, cps or the law. As a vicitm of abuse & parent of an abused child I went above & beyond to protect all of my children. The legal system is broken and fails to protect anyone. Try not to judge her, she was victimized by everyone around her & paid the ultimate price with the loss of her child

Replied By: yogi59066 on Jul 2, 2014, 12:08AM
had the same thing with my little boy Andy and I fought hard. I was ordered to send him by airplaine to another state for visitation, if I did not then I lost costody and the bio dad had the money to do just that. I had to listen to the courts the signs started abuse was written all over in little ways. A bruise a black eye he fell again tears of fear screams mommie please dont make me go. Then the call from the guilty party something went wrong all hours through the night. An emergency delta flight flew my baby back home to me andy was pale 11 pounds lighter in ten days 4 now and a fighter. Andys story was mommie i was hungry they locked me up I have a headache and andy was throwing up confused and crying. Andy had bruises and a chain mark on his leg. I went to the doctor we took pictures and called the police to the ER the answer dont send him back. At least he was home and we could fight in court.Over my dead body never again will he touch my son. I threatened he never cameback to get andy again. Thank god we live in differnet states far apart I was told to wait to see if he took me to court I waited he never did. I guess he was that guilty and thought he got away with murder. all I can do is wait and life went on so I thought. Andy started throwing up at 4 had he been hit in the head , poisoned, punished we will never know he was to little to tell us every thing and he was so confused. Andy grew up ill till he was 11 migraines and medical problems we are told we may not know until an autopsy. Andy could have metal scrapes from computers that were fed to him to induce poison. Andy is a fighter, brown belt karate teacher and medical student in his second year of college andys dream he wants to be a brain surgeon. Imagine that over seven years of illness and light sensitivity and migraines swelling of his whole body and pain and my andy is alive strong and says this to the abuser. Father you are not my dad I have another he was there when I needed him when I was sick. I was born so my real dad can have me his only son. I am adopted and need not seek you ever. Till you walk an abused childs shoes do not judge

Replied By: yogi59066 on Jul 2, 2014, 12:07AM - In reply to ladyminer
I had the same thing with my little boy Andy and I fought hard. I was ordered to send him by airplaine to another state for visitation, if I did not then I lost costody and the bio dad had the money to do just that. I had to listen to the courts the signs started abuse was written all over in little ways. A bruise a black eye he fell again tears of fear screams mommie please dont make me go. Then the call from the guilty party something went wrong all hours through the night. An emergency delta flight flew my baby back home to me andy was pale 11 pounds lighter in ten days 4 now and a fighter. Andys story was mommie i was hungry they locked me up I have a headache and andy was throwing up confused and crying. Andy had bruises and a chain mark on his leg. I went to the doctor we took pictures and called the police to the ER the answer dont send him back. At least he was home and we could fight in court.Over my dead body never again will he touch my son. I threatened he never cameback to get andy again. Thank god we live in differnet states far apart I was told to wait to see if he took me to court I waited he never did. I guess he was that guilty and thought he got away with murder. all I can do is wait and life went on so I thought. Andy started throwing up at 4 had he been hit in the head , poisoned, punished we will never know he was to little to tell us every thing and he was so confused. Andy grew up ill till he was 11 migraines and medical problems we are told we may not know until an autopsy. Andy could have metal scrapes from computers that were fed to him to induce poison. Andy is a fighter, brown belt karate teacher and medical student in his second year of college andys dream he wants to be a brain surgeon. Imagine that over seven years of illness and light sensitivity and migraines swelling of his whole body and pain and my andy is alive strong and says this to the abuser. Father you are not my dad I have another he was there when I needed him when I was sick. I was born so my real dad can have me his only son. I am adopted and need not seek you ever. Till you walk an abused childs shoes do not judge

Replied By: yogi59066 on Jul 1, 2014, 11:40PM
I am glad this couple is getting help for the step dad, he seems his heart is in it he just needs new tools. It may not be like the family that lost baby lilly but it could be if one is not careful like a whirlwind it can spin out of control. My heart goes out to the mother of Baby Lilly Dr.Phil that babys life can not go in vein It is just a shame to loose a precious life but she is with the angels safe and waiting for her mama one day. So Baby lilly's life does not go in vein I challange every mom who can and will make a difference. Please open your heart and home to a foster child they are in pain and alone and have no one. I challange every person who saw this tonight who cried tears and wished they could reach out to this mom. I am about to finish my last class this week to open my home to foster children. There is a desperate need for families and single parents to adopt children. We can open our doors and give a kid a safe place to call home. You will see a child transform into a flowering person if you just open your heart to one child. I opt to adopt one child and up to four siblings to keep them together so can you. Life is short and its what we were put on earth for to raise children. When other fail and do not do the job we pick up the pieces and build our nation our future our kids. These will be the kids who take care of us when were in diapers and need care. Please foster and adopt in your area. Email me any time I can give you any information and answer any questions. wanda.campbell2@centurylink.net

Replied By: ladyminer on Jul 1, 2014, 8:16PM - In reply to pchy87
We're in Indiana.....a few years ago the law gave us grandparent visitation. We hired a lawyer and got guardianship. The best money I've ever spent! Don't give up keep trying for the kids. Good luck and my prayers are with you!

Replied By: ladyminer on Jul 1, 2014, 8:07PM
This show about the abuse sounds just like my daughter. The step-father called the 9 year old fat and pork chop. Threw their toys away I think so he could hear them/her cry. The youngest is 7 years old and he's sprayed perfume in her face. She has asthma.....he said " let's hear you cough now"?.....picked her up by the hair of her head and held her by face with his hand over her nose and mouth. We stepped in as grandparents and their uncle and we now have guardianship for the two! My heart goes out for these children.....Robin I agree with you, we raised ours and protected them. That's what we're suppose to do!

Showing 1-10 of total 174 Comments