Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Allan says he desperately wants a relationship with his 38-year-old twin daughters, Carol and Christine, whom he says he’s been at odds with since their mother died in a car accident more than 10 years ago. He says he hasn’t seen his daughters in nearly four years, but that hasn’t stopped them from verbally attacking him and his new wife, Veronica, through nasty letters, phone messages and e-mails. Carol and Christine say their father is a selfish man who never mourned their mother’s death -- and moved on and married Veronica without their consent. Did Allan turn his back on his family? And, why do the sisters say they don’t approve of Veronica? When Dr. Phil brings this fractured family together, can he help them to find forgiveness and repair their relationships? (OAD: 10-21-13)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: aristocrat56 on Aug 27, 2014, 3:04AM - In reply to clive_canhome
I totally agree with "clive canhome"  regarding the father. To me he seemed cold and self-righteous and did come across as a "prick".  I also agree that it is not the stepmother who is the problem.   I have no idea what she's doing with this guy.   Being a true father - one who loves his children unconditionally -  doesn't end when they turn 18 or 38.  He's completely insensitive.   He doesn't get it.  It's a case of knocking on the door and no one's home.   He's clueless.   I feel sorry for his daughters, I can't imagine that anything will change in the future.

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Jun 5, 2014, 5:52PM - In reply to KateBauer
Many comments have been made about what a heartless SOB this father was for getting into another relationship 6 months after his wife was killed in a car crash. Well, I happened to watch an old Judge Judy episode this morning where a woman had divorced her husband (the defendant) to marry a childhood flame with whom she had reconnected. Unfortunately, the new husband was not in the best of health and passed away before too much time had passed. Within a month she hooked up with a friend of the dead husband, a man she had not previously known. She tearfully explained that she should not be judged, that the comfort and support the new man provided was critical to her making it through that difficult time. So cut this father some slack, there's no set schedule for dealing with these traumatic situations.

Replied By: KateBauer on Jun 1, 2014, 7:55AM
I really liked Veronica and am not sure if she got such a deal in Allen.  Allen seems so into himself and doesnt seem like much of a father to me.  He sat there being smug and self righteous.  6 months seemed a very short time to marry after loosing the girls's mother.   A little more respect i believe would have gone a long way in his daughter's eyes.  My daddy was the most important person in my life, and after 38 years I still miss him terribly.  My mother died before him, and he gave me time to grieve along with my brothers and sisters.  Allen come down off your high horse they are the only daughers you will ever have.   I hope the sisters grieve and move on having healthy, happy relationships with each other and a father figure if Allen can't understand their side of this.

Replied By: deannagrrl on May 29, 2014, 11:32AM
We were married 9 days shy of a year.  I waited forever to find him, and he was gone that fast.  But what I learned from him is that love is possible.  I met someone else, and I love him.  We've been together for 12 years.  Good for the dad!! He gets to be happy.  He gets to keep loving.  These daughters  should be happy for him.

Replied By: cache48550 on May 29, 2014, 8:56AM
While a little more conversation between the dad and the girls after his wifes death might have helped, I get the feeling that no matter what the dad would have done, it would not be enough.  

At 27, it's YOUR responsiblity to deal with your emotions, including grief. You don't need your daddy to hold your hand.  Come on!

If dad didn't grieve to your approval....it's none of your business.

And he doesn't owe those girls a dime.  

They are selfish and self centered.

Replied By: freelandsm on May 29, 2014, 6:19AM
SOMETHING IS SERIOUSLY MESSED UP.  May the "girls" should look into a support group.  Their behavior is off the charts inappropriate.

Replied By: loyalalways on May 29, 2014, 12:04AM
It's rerun time again......

Anyway, Dr. Phil was wrong on today's show, IMO. I'm really shocked that he took the girl's side. These aren't little kids. They're grown adults acting like spoiled brats who aren't getting their way on a playground. Their father doesn't owe them anything, especially when they behave like bitches toward him. They have their own lives, but expect their dad to be at their beck and call and stay single. He has a right to move on and find someone else. They should be happy for him. His girlfriend was the only mature person on the show.

I would like to see how Dr. Phil would handle it if his kids bitched at him and treated him like crap. I don't think he'd be so friendly either. I don't think he'd tolerate it at all!! He talks about the girls being hurt. Well, they hurt their father, too, by their ridiculous treatment of him and his girlfriend. If he's going to give them the right to be hurt, then the father deserves the same since they're ALL adults. He's a human being with feelings just as much as his daughters.

THEY need to grow up. They don't deserve his respect if they aren't going to respect him. It goes both ways. if you treat someone like crap, you can expect the same in return. It takes a lot longer to get over someone treating you disrespectfully than someone who's calmly talked to you about it with respect. They got what they deserved. I wouldn't want to talk to or introduce someone new to someone who's done nothing but bitch at and  hurt me. I'd be waiting for that person to come to me when they can be rational.

That granddaughter hasobviously been brainwashed by her mother. That's not fair. These people are just pointing out everything negative about him as though he has no redeeming qualities. ALL of them are stubborn. There's 3 of them ganged up on him. I think he's reacting out of frustration. I do believe that if the girls had had respect from the beginning, it never would  have gone this far. He just doesn't trust them right now. It's happened too many times when they'd come around and then go back to theri hissy fits.

Finally, these girls don't know how lucky they are to have a father. My father died before I turned 10. I've always felt like something was missing. However, I was more mature than these girls. I'm not saying that this man hasn't made his share of mistakes. I just don't think that he should have been the only one thrown under the bus just because he's older. Very little was said about the girl's behaviour. Nothing was said about the granddaughter being involved in adult issues, either. Those girls are adults and should act like adults.

Replied By: chellgirl55 on May 28, 2014, 10:41PM - In reply to cdrens
It is actually a compliment to these girls mother that he moved on as quickly as he did.  Widowers tend to statistically remarry quickly when their previous marriage was a happy one.  It doesn't seem that it did anything terrible to me.  He sounds like he was a good father and the girls were disrespectful and mean to their mother.  It is believeable by watching their behavior on the show...being 'bullied".

Replied By: chellgirl55 on May 28, 2014, 10:38PM
These girls most likely are hurt, no doubt.  However, they are adults and are taking out on their dad and stepmother.  They are so entitled and disgusting.  Yelling at people about plane accomodations etc. is most likely not the only place this girl yells.  Not everyone who was told they were to pay rent or move out when they were 18 turned it into anger, nastiness and bitterness.  Many times it helps you grow up and be strong.

Replied By: cdrens on May 28, 2014, 9:54PM - In reply to kathyciav
That statement is complete and utter BS. Many many many men think with brains and hearts and I'm sincerely sorry you have met the few that only think otherwise.

Showing 1-10 of total 376 Comments