Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Lynn and Paul say their 20-year-old daughter, Loni, went from a straight-A student to a heroin addict, and they’re desperate to get her help. After two felony arrests -- including one for allegedly selling heroin to an undercover officer -- Loni spent 30 days in rehab, but they say it wasn’t long before they discovered she was using heroin again -- and stealing money and jewelry from family members to pay for it. Now, Lynn and Paul say Loni is living in a trailer with strangers, in the middle of nowhere, and they fear for her life. Dr. Phil sends mother-son intervention team Debbie and Brandon to track down Loni and offer her a chance to face her family and make a plan for a healthier future. Will Loni grab onto the lifeline? (OAD: 10-16-13)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cleanliving on Jun 6, 2014, 6:40PM
I love your show and watch it every single day.  I do, however have a concern with the way Dr. Phil is speaking to the parents in the beginning of the show.  I am an addict in recovery.  I struggle with the disease of addiction every day.  I have a little over 1 year clean.  I grew up in a fairly "normal" household and lived a fairly "normal" childhood.  At age 29, I was injured on the job, and became addicted to opiates.  It took me many years to realize that I was an addict long before I began abusing drugs.  I displayed many of the behaviors of an addict, and never learned any different until I started working a program of recovery, and started learning a new way to live.  When you ask the parents why their daughter is the way she is, or why she is in the place she is, it is because she has the disease of addiction.  The parents do not know why because they do not have the disease of addiction.  I don't think it is fair to call them out like that when they look around unknowingly because they don't have an answer.  They simply don't know.  Then, when you say "If she wants to be an addict..." NOBODY wants to "be an addict".  You either have the disease of addiction or you don't.  It is not a choice.  Once a person discovers he/she has the disease of addiction, it is absolutely a choice whether or not to use drugs, however, having the disease is not a choice.

Replied By: wantstoretire on Jun 6, 2014, 10:51AM
I have to agree that the only reason Loni came to the Dr. Phil show was to expose her mother. Her mother is an addict, too, tho in denial, whether she gets the drugs by prescription or on the street. I doubt that Loni will be successful in rehab b/c she appeared not to WANT it. One thing I learned from watching our beautiful, college educated, athletic 20 something daughter spiral down in the depths of opiate addiction. Rehab didn't work. We finally said, "You are on your own." Quit bailing her out, never gave her one penny after we became educated through a program here that teaches you how to "handle" addicts...even tho you can't control anything, you don't need to enable it out of the reasons, love. It took two painful years, but she finally pulled herself out of the ditch. She said it will be a lifelong struggle. Now she is married with two healthy children and a loving husband. All we really could do for her was cut her off and pray. It worked (at least so far). We learned you can never let your guard down, either. She admits she had to relearn how to handle things. Drug addiction alters the brain chemistry, and it takes a lot of time to get rewired properly. My heart goes out to all of you suffering with this; just remember, there is absolutely nothing you can do until he/she WANTS to change. They are expert liar so when they "need" money for "food," or "necessities" say NO. It goes right to the dealers.

Replied By: naturemum on Jun 6, 2014, 7:53AM
No parent is perfect however, my daughter grew up with me working at good jobs, living is nice places, loved and cared for with all my heart. Now, she's 30 yrs old, left her 3 kids with their father & other grandmother 1 1/2 yrs ago to "puersue" her admitted crack addiction. It CAN happen to anyone's kid no matter how or where they are raised. She has refused to do anything to help herself although she keeps saying she wants to. Meanwhile, my grandkids are happy, healthy, doing wonderfully in school and know they are loved, as both sides of the family are involved with them. Don't ever judge someone based on no first-hand experience.  BTW her father was an alcoholic drug addict that I left when she was 2, but there was always a 50/50 chance she woud have the disease too.

Replied By: dondaj on Jun 5, 2014, 10:38PM
The daughter seemed to be diverting the issue of her own addiction to that of her mother.   While she freely admitted being a heroin addict, she seemed overly concerned with exposing her mother's earlier addiction to prescript drugs

I will be surprised if you get this girl to a facility that can actually help her.  Her parents are not ready....

Replied By: diamonddiva on Jun 5, 2014, 7:10PM - In reply to suzannesrs
Do as I say, not as I do, no longer works. if you MODEL junkie behavior, like Loni's mother did, is it any surprise that her daughter imitates her? MOTHERS are their daughters' role models, like it or not. No one is asking for perfection, but by god, if you want your child to grow up clean, YOU stay clean. If you want your daughter to have a good man in her life, YOU don't stay with an abusive man and have your daughter there to watch you being victimized, because THAT becomes the norm for her. What's so hard to understand about that??

Replied By: diamonddiva on Jun 5, 2014, 7:04PM - In reply to deborahrose
No, I KNOW it won't help. The DAUGHTER has to ask for help, the more she's PUSHED into rehab against her will, the faster she's going to relapse when she gets out. Countdown to relapse-5, 4, 3, 2, 1.....

Replied By: deborahrose on Jun 5, 2014, 6:12PM - In reply to mycolorist1
So very sorry to hear of your loss.. I agree , do all you can when you can if you can. Thats all you have to do... My daughter is a addict in rehab now with her 2 yr old daughter. Baby tested positive at birth. Its hard. I hate heroin ... it kills and it lies. Addicts today are hard to identify. They don't look like the addicts of the 60's .

Replied By: deborahrose on Jun 5, 2014, 6:09PM - In reply to diamonddiva
Don't you think that a little push can help ? Esp. if they are stealing from you , etc. ?

Replied By: tarync on Jun 5, 2014, 6:08PM
I am a mother who lost my son at 23 years old to heroin. I wish these parents and the children would listen to Dr. Phil because he is absolutely right! This child will die if she doesn't accept the help that he offers. My son went to several treatment programs but they were nothing compared to what Dr. Phil has to offer. I wish I had Dr. Phil 4 years ago before my son passed away. 

Replied By: deborahrose on Jun 5, 2014, 6:07PM
A horrible thing a heroin addict.. You don't see today the drug addicts of 40 years ago. Today they do look good , many times and they work, they function..So we are fooled !

My daughter is a addict. Recovering. With her child that was born testing positive for opiates. Its been a long hard road. Not finished yet.

Jail is ok .. when they have no more money they WILL steal money , sell their bodies for money. We had $3500.00 checks stolen from us.. WHen it happened I knew without a doubt she was getting to her finishing line. We did the only thing we could do.. press charges , and have her picked up. It couldn't been faster .. I wanted her off the streets and using. Thank God.

So its not easy or cut and dry... but jail is better than dead. And now she has a chance to get well with her baby.. I pray she does.

Showing 1-10 of total 84 Comments