Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Rabecca claims that three-and-a-half years ago, her mother, Debra, tricked her into signing over legal guardianship of her now 4-year-old daughter, Dezira, while she was suffering from postpartum depression. She says that since then, Debra has developed an intense attachment to Dezira and has gone to great lengths to keep her daughter from her, including taking Dezira for the night -- and then hiding her for three months. Debra says she believes the child belongs in her care, claiming Rabecca never bonded with Dezira as an infant and willingly signed over guardianship. She also alleges that Rabecca, who has two other daughters, is an unfit and neglectful mother -- so why isn’t Debra fighting to take the other children? Hear the shocking reason why Debra says she's contacted Child Protective Services -- and Rabecca’s response to the allegations. Plus, could something from Debra’s past be motivating her desire to parent Dezira? And, what does Dr. Phil think is the best outcome for the child? Can this mother and daughter find common ground before the courts make their decisions for them? (OAD: 12-12-13)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: prayersinneed on Jun 20, 2014, 9:55AM - In reply to aprilk77
You took the words right out of my mouth.  I don't see how Rebecca's Mom was ever allowed back into the role of Mom or Grandmother.  She gave those rights away and has no regrets what so ever.  She is shady and very manipulative.  Rebecca everything that comes out of your Mom mouth is a reflection of her own life. She has learned to flip lives on you, but will never cover up her own.  You now know ur mom for who she really is.  When you are more stable and able to, walk away from her.  She didn't want you when you were born and she has no remorse to still let you down now. She is only a title holder, and will never be the Mom u seek.

It is very clear she has a mental condition that she tries to hide.  I pray that by her being on the show it serves as a trail for others who comes into contact with her once she uses her Degree in Child Psycology.  She's an educated nut and she does have the right degree. Because she's clearly a Phyco.

Replied By: aprilk77 on Jun 19, 2014, 12:36PM
i too believe that debra tricked rebecca, i do believe her motive was good at first but itg ot out of hand and become what we saw on the show. my heart goes out to rebecca i know how she feels 11 years ago i was acused of something i did not do and was not proven. because of my daughter's grandma and for the fact that the judge should have steped down knowing he had a case with my daughter's dad when he was a minor. what is wrong with people just because you made mistakes with your kids does not mean you have the right to take your grandchil/children and come up things that are not true. course i live in the state of nv so its a screwed up state as is. i also think this thing with being able to automatically take parental rights away from people needs to be reloo-ked at. to this day my daughter does not who i am or who her dad is just know that we are her aunt and uncle. so she is living in lies.

Replied By: rnsr4u on Jun 11, 2014, 7:06PM - In reply to cheriebengal
I am shocked by the agenda of the grandmother.  I hope it is clear to the daughter on the show that we all see how crazy her biological mother is and her motive to steal a child that isn't hers.  What is wrong with the courts to allow someone with such a history to be given any rights to that child.  They should be helping the biological mom heal the wounds inflicted by the years in foster care.  That grandmother came across as a monstor with viscious mean intentions towards a child she rejected.  Hiding behind education doesn't change who you are!  I sincerely doubt most everything the crazy lady said.  She dripped of sarcasm and evil.  Dr. Phil should be offering help to the mother to re-gain her child and then provide supervised visitation to the grandmother who is clearly trying to alienate the siblings and mother from the child.  The crazy grandmother couldn't even say sorry to her daughter-just that she understood-there was zero accountability for her own actions.  This one made me cringe.  I hope the court sees through this and re-unites the child to her own mother!

Replied By: kmvillanueva on Jun 8, 2014, 1:03PM
Well today I'm feeling the greatest after my father passed away I may or may not have lost my baby to heaven loss of husband my mother has custody of boy that may not be mine and I need to eat and take my medicine today it is not working for me dr phil and robin have a nice day

Replied By: trashtalker2 on Jun 7, 2014, 4:39PM - In reply to loyalalways
You must be related to Rabecca.  I'm related to Debra.  It's because of knowing from where she came that I can see where she is trying to go for the best interest of her grandchild.   We need to learn to walk in another's shoes before we push them off cliffs.

Replied By: cheriebengal on Jun 7, 2014, 3:07PM
It doesn't matter what the grandmother says. Her whole motive, her whole incentive is to keep her grandchild, no matter the cost, and saying whatever she needs to, and doing whatever she needs to to reach her objective.

The child should be removed from the grandmother immediately. I have no doubt that the grandmother did in fact deceive her daughter into signing papers. Not so much with the black and white print, but with her motives. She probably verbally said lots of things like, we know this is temprary, I'm only doing it to make it easier to take Desiree to the doctor, etc. The daughter believed her and signed the papers fully believing that at the given time, she would return Desiree to her.

Replied By: jaredforrest on Jun 7, 2014, 2:31PM
As I watched this show, it became more apparent to me that Debra is the one with the issues, not Rabecca.

First, she gives up 3 children for adoption, she can't give a straight answer on how many kids she gave birth to, she is in a Social Work Master's degree program to strengthen her position and so on.

She is all over the place.  The fact that she lost a daugher and now has a  replacement with the same name, shows me she clearly is entrenched in her own denial and issues. 

GIve this child back to her mother!  She deserves that chance to parent her, not Debra.  This child is a not an object or possession of Debra's! 

Replied By: kaiofoahu on Jun 7, 2014, 8:40AM
Omg Dr Phil, I joined your website just to vent about this show, and I religiously tape your shows in our DVR due to our love for your outreach to help so many people.

NOW HAVING SAID THAT, will someone please help this mother regain HER child. What mother in their right mind keeps a child from their own child. This is insane, ok we get that Rebecca was having a difficult time being a mother to begin with. Obviously her paternal mothers bloodline was present. But she is not that person obviously any longer and NEEDS what is rightfully hers, not her mothers.

I Wish Dr Phil you would have vented what you and the public saw and used your resources to put the fear if god in the grandmother to return the child. Can you imagine the mindset and the damage this child will receive if allowed to be raised in the home of this mental and deranged grandmother. She would have never nor will ever have that occur with Rebecca for gods sake her sisters are there. They need to bond so they can be there for one another later on in life when these parents are all long gone.
If anyone believes in prayer now is the time to pray for another person and this child really needs to be saved from this CHILD ABANDONING, Back stabbing, traitor, deceiving person.
Sorry Christianity check time but God help please Dr Phil's hands are full.

Replied By: dmbrooks2000 on Jun 7, 2014, 8:25AM
If you listen to what Rebecca was saying, she didn't deny signing the documents for medical care, or the second document when she was told that wouldn't suffice.  What she said was that the final document, used for full legal guardianship until the child was 18, she didn't see the whole document. She only saw the page and paragraph she signed and thought the page she saw was the text in full. This trick is not unknown by people who commit fraud. Give them the last page to sign, then add 18 pages of legal verbiage in front of it to file in the courts. That's why SOME courts require initials on every page of a notarized document.

Replied By: loyalalways on Jun 7, 2014, 8:07AM - In reply to jules2576
You obviously have never had post-partum depression or you'd understand what went on for Rebecca. It's a deep depression. You can't really make important decisions because the depression has such a hold on you.

If you think that Debra was honest with Rebecca when she got her to sign those forms, then I have a piece of swamp land I'd like to sell you. If she will out and out lie about the child she had at 15 after she was confronted with it, plus lie about "raising" her son, she'll lie about anything. The child was obviously a nothing to her if she won't even acknowledge her. The fact that she thinks the child doesn't count because she was a child at the time when she had her, shows you her level of intelligence. She obviously doesn't know the meaning of  the word raise because having a child move in with you when he's already in high school isn't "faising" him.. Disgusting!!!! 

She's a liar, she's vindictive, manipulative, condescending and judgmental. She has NO right to criticize ANYONE. She needs to look in the mirror and criticize that person and fix THAT person before she starts giving advice to others

Showing 1-10 of total 160 Comments