Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

It's "Ask Dr. Phil" day, as viewers at home and in-studio have their toughest questions answered! First, Pam's dying wish was that her sister, Roberta, marry her husband Lanny -- something Roberta admits she agreed to, thinking she would die first. But two months ago, Pam died suddenly, and now Roberta feels compelled to keep her promise, but she’s not sure if it is the right thing to do. Should she marry her brother-in-law? And, how does Lanny feel about the potential arrangement? Then, Amanda admits she’s addicted to shopping and has spent more than $500,000 over the past four years, while racking up $30,000 in credit card debt. Amanda’s husband, Steve, is threatening divorce if she doesn’t rein in her shopping habit. With Dr. Phil’s help, can she get her spending on track and save her marriage? And, Deborah says she was once a beauty queen who took pride in her appearance -- but now, she weighs nearly 300 pounds and says she’s scared to slim down. What’s driving her fear? Plus, meet Nichelle, who says she’s addicted to eating flour -- how can she break this unhealthy habit? Don’t miss this all-new, no-holds-barred Dr. Phil!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: freebertie on Oct 8, 2013, 12:00AM - In reply to andilk
Just so you know.... My sister also told some family members what she wished. They all want this to happen.

thus, my turmoil

Replied By: shuftalen on Oct 7, 2013, 8:45PM
I was at the computer the other day and was listening to the Dr. Phil show that I had saved to my DVR. I heard the story about the girl approach avoidance conflict. I almost fell off my chair. This is so my story. I can't wait to take this to my therapist. I just couldn't believe how much I related to her story. The part where she said she sabatoges herself as soon as someone sees weightloss was saying out loud what I have been struggling with for years. Would love to know how Dr. Phil would go about changing this. I know my therapist will say you already know these things, but you don't follow through with them. I wonder what Dr. Phil would say is the best way to handle this.

Replied By: soulangel on Oct 7, 2013, 7:22PM
Dr Phil - you said all the right things and your guest was telling my story.....
“This is anxiety – and you deal with it by medicating yourself with food.

Called “Approach avoidance conflict”….

Here is what you say you want – and as you approach it - Get anxious as you get to your goal, and peel off and you sabotage yourself…… What if one choice was to get healthy and feel atrtractive where you have the self worth and self esteem to lose the weight.  

I want you to have get healthy where you feel you are attractive. Where you have the ability to tell them to back off.….

This is a psychological issue …..I will help you. I want you to have a better self image to lose the weight…… 

I want to help you – like I offered her. I want to offer you a very specific plan – with very specific professional help.” 

Bow here's the porblem - Okay so why didn’t you help out your viewers with an outline of the plan – even tell us what type of professional we needed to look for? Anything!!!!  

I was left hanging - literally and physically - no DrPhilShow resources or advice and with 80- extra pounds anbd no advice to lose it….

How’s that working for me – not so much! 

Note: I asked a similar question and was called by one of your staff (KristiH – Associate Producer) and gave extra photos and answered questions she sent me via email. While I was disappointed I didn’t get picked for the show (for the 2nd time) – I was over the moon when I saw the preview for the “Ask Dr. Phil” – And seeing this woman’s story on the show's trailker which shadowed mine very closely I was waiting with huge anticipation of you helping me - finally!!!!!. At last I was going to get the help I needed.  I was so excited.on the dge of my seat the entire time.....

Disappointment reigned supreme as the show ended and no specific advice or “plan” given or outlined.  I feel like that was my last hope to lose weight – but without advice I am just treading water and at a loss as to how to continue on and end thi cycle of approach avoidance….

By the lookes of the comments posted about this storyline and guest I am not the only one!

So now my questions are for Dr.Phil are:

1. Why      didn’t you help out your viewers with an outline of the plan?
  2. Why      didn’t you tell us what type of professional we needed to look for?
  3. Why      can’t you do a follow up show with this woman on weight loss and reveal “the      plan” and also have another weight loss challenge but first deal with some      key issues that impede weight loss (not excuses – issues  like: a) Right thinking b)The levels of      change that are needed for weight loss to happen, c) Self-sabotage d) Avoidance/Self      Sabotage e) Shame/vulnerability/ and their impact on weigh loss attempts      and success - Dr. Brene Brown)
 Ok – I said it – Got it off my chest – and asked more questions of Dr.Phil –

Really need help to get “it” – Deal with my obesity and this cycle of gaining and losing End it forever.  Get “it” off my waist, hips and thighs!!!!

Cheers!

Mini Jacques

Replied By: hamingja on Oct 7, 2013, 2:00AM
the girl that was scared to be thin because of being sexually abused? I remember him talking about an avoidance disorder and needing a specific treatment. I am her in everyway but he never said what type of therapy is needed. 

I can't even go to the resources on the site because it wasn't mentioned what was recomended, does anyone know or have to deal with this??

Many Blessings,

Jen

Replied By: lunarose on Oct 6, 2013, 10:51PM
I have to tell you the advice to the lady whose friend is constantly complaining about the same issues over and over again. I had a 40 year friendship that just ended when I started to do that. When I pointed how how the last time she got bruned she said she would do X-Y-Z differently and then when I reminded her what she said her plan would be she literally screamed at me. Sometimes people who keep doing the same thing and complain when they get the same results only want to keep the status quo.

Replied By: batchik on Oct 6, 2013, 8:06PM - In reply to shutterbug818
true, I wish her the best as well

Replied By: onelifeonelove on Oct 5, 2013, 8:25PM - In reply to ktownboots
No you're not! You may feel that way now because you had no help in turning your thought process around. You deserve to be healthy And strong! You time will come, but you have to be willing to open the door when it does. Nobody deserves to feel ugly or disgusting! And NEVER, EVER blame yourself for abuse that you endured! They've got the problems, but you pay the price! And that's not fair any way you look at it! Hope you find your path very soon!!!

Replied By: onelifeonelove on Oct 5, 2013, 8:20PM - In reply to carlan
Well said! I agree!

Replied By: onelifeonelove on Oct 5, 2013, 7:15PM - In reply to lynn2452
Your comment is bar none the most insensitive, rude and idiotic comment I've ever read! Do you realize your comment makes you sound jealous and bitter? My guess is you feel unattractive, and struggle with your own weight. And instead of being sympathetic and helpful you choose to step on someone when they're down just to make yourself feel better! Shame on you!

Replied By: onelifeonelove on Oct 5, 2013, 7:10PM - In reply to skbruning
I think there's nothing wrong with it. Brother in law is a term given . It doesn't mean it's her actual blood brother! Or even brother in growing up! If they find happiness in each other then so be it! 

Frankly I'd be happy if I knew my lonely sister married my lonely widowed husband! If they have a good friendship and it means they can enjoy each other's company then go for it! Why should their love be denied because it makes any of you uncomfortable? Gee, are we against gays too?! 

Those of you spouting it's immoral in the bible need to have the bible explained to you! And take time to read the part about being judgementle! 

Showing 1-10 of total 45 Comments