Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

Bridgette says she’s terrified of her boyfriend, James, who she claims is verbally and physically abusive, controlling and jealous -- and she says she fears he could kill her. She claims he has attacked her, pushed her to the ground and thrown objects at her. Bridgette says James’ rage gets so out of control, he punches holes in walls and has even put out a lit cigarette on his own body in anger. Bridgette, who has a 6-year-old son, says she’s scared to leave -- and scared to stay. James admits that he has an anger problem but says, “It’s her fault that I get as mad as I do.” Dr. Phil’s wife, Robin McGraw, shares the chilling details about children who witness domestic violence, and attempts to open Bridgette's eyes to the need to protect her son. Then, two women who say they survived brutal attacks at the hands of their abusive boyfriends share their stories. Will their near-death experiences inspire Bridgette to stand up for herself -- and her son? And, six months ago, with the help of Dr. Phil and Robin, Julie faced her boyfriend -- who she claims was abusive -- and ended their relationship. How is she now? Plus, if you or someone you know is in an abusive relationship, tune in to learn how to make a safe exit. (OAD: 10-1-13)

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: loyalalways on Jun 6, 2014, 3:21AM - In reply to skusnir
Welcome to Canada!! I'm so happy that you found a good man who treats you the way you deserve to be treated. Nobody deserves to be beaten and threatened.

Replied By: loyalalways on Jun 6, 2014, 2:54AM - In reply to nancycollingon
I agree with you 100%. People who criticize need to walk a mile in these abused women's shoes first. Then they can come back and criticize if they want. However, the chance is pretty slim that they'll be criticizing by then.

Replied By: loyalalways on Jun 6, 2014, 2:02AM - In reply to alwaysaskeptic
She DID take responsibility and came to the show for Dr. Phil's help. JAMES is the problem, NOT her. Abusers ALWAYS, ALWAYS blame the other person. This guy proved that on this show, even though he had multiple charges lad against him for violence. It was NEVER his fault. You obviously don't listen when Dr. Phil explains what happens to victims when they try to leave the abvuser. Not only that, they isolate these women, take away any self esteem they ever had and convince them that THEY are the problem, not the abuser. These women are TERRIFIED, yes TERRIFIED to leave because abusers threaten them, their children and, their family and friends.. Research it. When Dr. Phil and Robin talk to these people harshly about staying with these jerks, they aren't giving them lectures for the past. They're trying to get through to them that they cannot go back to these abusers as of that moment. Blaming an abused woman for staying is like blaming a victim of molestation or rape for letting it go on for so many years. Finally, if  you really believe that this guy was truthful with her when they started dating, then I have some swamp land to sell you. He only told her about the prison term because it was public knowledge. He also told her that he was defending himself. Dr. Phil has explained all of these things MANY times. So, don't put this on her. That is MY opinion and I stand by it. If you have a problem with it, that's on you.

Replied By: nancycollingon on Jun 5, 2014, 8:31PM - In reply to alwaysaskeptic
Unless you have lived the abuse and escaped, you have no idea what is going through her mind.  Walk a few miles in her shoes, then you may have a remote right to judge.

Replied By: nancycollingon on Jun 5, 2014, 8:28PM
Just get out and don't look back.   The abuse will only get worse.  Don't let him make you feel sorry for him.  You and your child are all that matters now!!!

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Jun 5, 2014, 5:19PM - In reply to loyalalways
This is now the third attempt I've made to reply to loyalalways, who has intstructed me to "stop putting down the woman", that "she did not make bad choices".  I'm not putting the woman down, I'm just asking that she take responsibility for her own decisions, one being to pursue a relationship with a man who has served time for multiple violent assaults and robbery. Not a bad choice? I beg to differ, that's all.

Replied By: alwaysaskeptic on Jun 5, 2014, 12:26PM - In reply to kymeegirl
kymeegirl, I agree with your post. There always seems to be a long laundry list of weak and sometimes laughable excuses to do NOTHING and stay with an abuser than to grow a spine and take some ACTION to save yourself and the children you supposedly love. Paying the ultimate price seems to be the risk taken just to be in a relationship. Is it not better to be single and alive?

Replied By: kymeegirl on Jun 5, 2014, 6:18AM - In reply to yogi59066
R u serious taking kids from neighborhoods and friends? Well when your moms dead from her boyfriend or husband they will be in foster care so really???

Replied By: kymeegirl on Jun 5, 2014, 6:16AM
Maybe you should watch 48 hrs  Melissa Dohme.  She was 20 and her violent boyfriend stabbed her 32 times. This is what can happen if u continue to go back. Think of your son.  Watch this story.  You can google her name.  This is real!

Replied By: loyalalways on Jun 5, 2014, 2:42AM - In reply to alwaysaskeptic
Do you not listen when Dr. Phil has abusers on his show? ALL OF THEM make excuses, make light of what they do and BLAME THE OTHER PERSON when there's abuse or a physical fight. When he met her, this guy obviously made up some kind of excuse as to why he was in prison, just like he did to Dr. Phil H.e said he was defending himself because the other guy came at him with a baseball bat. I'm willing to bet that it was the ONLY charge he ever mentioned to her because he had no choice due to the fact that it was public knowledge.

For EVERY charge that Dr. Phil brought up to him, HE BLAMED THE OTHER PERSON. It was NEVER his fault. They ALWAYS attack him first. He was always defending himself, according to him. When she first started dating him, she had no way to know that this guy was as abusive as he is unless someone had told her. She did not make bad choices. She was lied to and when she finally realized the truth, he had already manipulated her and taken away all of her self esteem, convincing her that she was usless and that SHE was the problem who did most of the abusing.. She deserves credit because she finally contacted Dr. Phil for help for herself and her son. That can't bre easy to do when  you've been convinced that you're worthless and responsible for all for the problems. She looked very afraid around him.

Showing 1-10 of total 131 Comments