Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

Mary says she’s worried her 17-year-old daughter, Missy, is seriously addicted to the Internet and fears she won’t turn into a responsible adult. Mary says she’s tried to distract her daughter by buying her a pony and even a donkey, but nothing captures her interest like her virtual world. But when Dr. Phil meets Mary, Missy and Mary’s fiancé, Jude, he discovers a much more serious concern: Missy admits she’s met more than 100 men online, has gotten into cars with many of them at the first meeting and has even invited several of them over to her house while her parents weren’t home. Missy says she doesn’t worry about her dangerous Internet behavior because if nothing bad has happened to her yet, then it probably won’t. What does she say she gets from the online relationships that she doesn’t get from her family? When Mary and Jude hear the details about Missy’s online interactions, will they begin to grasp the gravity of the situation? Dr. Phil gives this family a serious wake-up call. If your child has access to the Internet, this is a must-watch show! And, don’t miss part two tomorrow.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: goldenbeach on Dec 9, 2013, 10:47PM
Very cruel, IMO, to give a child this name.   But the mother seems very cold, so not surprising.

Replied By: heidi97701 on Sep 22, 2013, 4:17AM
Dr. Phil.  My daughter will turn 21 in December.  When she was 13 (maybe 12), I found inappropriate behavior on her computer (my husband and I always monitored both of our children's internet activity).  I explained the dangers to her, and also provided her with newspaper articles related to the internet and abductions.  It was a very scary time!  Later she began to again show inappropriate behavior as it related to facebook (she was 16 at this time).  I took her computer away, had her delete her facebook and myspace accounts, and that is how it stayed until she was 18.  For her 18th birthday, her friend built a facebook page for her.  She was happy to have it back, but was much more aware by then of the dangers of the internet.  My daughter suffers from borderline personality disorder (we found out later), and part of this is that she tends to put herself in the place of a victim.  This happened often as she was growing up, and it was challenging.  We went through several councelors before having a tragic situation within our family, which I won't get into, but we finally found a councelor that confirmed our suspicions of borderline personality disorder.  She worked with her for a year on how to identify her behaviors, and change them.  I am so happy that we didn't give up.  She will always struggle with this, but she has the tools to succeed and I am very proud of her.

Replied By: hazeld12 on Sep 21, 2013, 1:46PM - In reply to kschaecher
Be appalled then, typical response fron the parents of today, just wait until it's your turn!!!

Replied By: hazeld12 on Sep 21, 2013, 1:35PM - In reply to jmano1
He's just the guy who pays this kid's living expenses. Duh!

Replied By: lindee_1 on Sep 20, 2013, 5:35PM - In reply to bwein301
Yes hopefully Dr Phil will teach them this can happen. Both mom & daughter need to realize this wont happen over night, but in time it will.

Replied By: sparky411 on Sep 20, 2013, 6:52AM - In reply to wejota71
I so disagree with your response that these children are having sex with strangers because they do not get the love they need at home.  I am having a very real issue with my daughter and her problem with meeting strangers  She has had a very loving home life, not just her parents, but close relationships with Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, close family friends, many people who love and praise her.  As a teen I have her go to counceling, church, special schools..  She knows it is wrong, but as an adult now and I cannot do anything more for her but give her positive support, she still does this.  Just because you know one person that has at home issues, you cannot make judgement on others you do not know.  This is truely a mental health issue!

Replied By: carlan on Sep 19, 2013, 3:57PM - In reply to mrsclynn
... I have been a teenager, and I can imagine how alone and empty Missy must feel.
Watching the family's interaction on TV, I got the impression that Mary and Jude think that a child needs to "earn" her parents' loyalty and affection. I realize that Jude isn't Missy's father or stepfather, but he is a significant male figure in her life, and he can find precious little to say about Missy that's positive. He seems to want to focus on Missy's "shortcomings." When males on the internet compliment Missy, tell her they "love" her (as if that's an original ploy to get a vulnerable girl to "put out!"), etc., it's no wonder she's soaking it up like a sponge. Spend more time with the horse, Missy!

Replied By: sandybee2 on Sep 19, 2013, 3:23PM
I justwanted to give my sympathy to Nicole's Mom. I cried with you on the show. I am from Maine and I remember this and was horrified. It is such a different world than I lived in. Your two other little girls are precious. I wish I could take your pain away. Know that there a many people that feel like I do.

Replied By: jmano1 on Sep 19, 2013, 1:52PM
What does Jude have to do with anything?  He is not the father or even the step dad?  Just because he is the mother's boyfriend gives him no rights.  Step parents have a difficult time parenting step children, but Jude is nothing to Missy.

Replied By: gunnybain on Sep 19, 2013, 12:32PM
I think the mother has a higher socioeconomic background than a lot of people, therefore I believe that it has something to do with how she carries herself in public.  I am sure that she doesn't want to appear to be a raging lunatic or a basketcase because she "wasn't there for her daughter".  PLEASE.  I am telling you that this girl has got everyone snowed and she is well aware of her actions.  She's not doing what she is doing because she is screaming for attention, she is doing what she is doing because she wants to piss her mom off and break up her relationship with the step-dad.  Speaking of dads.. where is the DAD? 

The step-dad is probably at a loss.. I mean what would you do if you married into this kind of freakshow.  I am sure he knew that it was going to be tough, but he also probably thought that she is older and will be going to college, and it will be cool... instead he gets stuck with drama queen my life is SO bad.  There are plenty of children that have it a lot worse than this girl.....  she should actually be ashamed for taking up TV time when it could be used for something more relevent - like abducted children.

Showing 1-10 of total 181 Comments