Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

Dr. Phil delves into the dangers of teenage sex and underage drinking -- and how three families have been affected. In Part 2 of his exclusive interview, the 16-year-old girl who claims high school football star Matt and three other classmates raped her at a party opens up about what she says happened that night. Why does she say her peers care more about the accused football players than they do her? Don’t miss Matt and his parents’ reactions to what she has to say. Then, Leah alleges that in 2011, her 15-year-old daughter, Rehtaeh, was raped by four classmates at a party, and that after nearly a year-and-a-half of relentless bullying, the teen took her own life. How could this have been prevented? And what message does Leah have for others in similar situations? Plus, hear from Alexis, who says she too was raped at 15 and “could’ve been Rehtaeh.” What does she say got her through her darkest moments? Don’t miss this powerful cautionary tale for every teen and parent! This program contains strong sexual content. Viewer discretion advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: strine on Dec 5, 2013, 3:15AM
Matthew admitted he has heard inside info that the young girl will not be pressing charges etc...where did he hear this inside info? Matthew's father and one of the other boy's fathers are police officers, so it seems more than a little coincidental that Matthew would have inside information that no one else has... I think this poor girl feels like she has no chance in that town. Imagine being raped by two police officers children - the shining stars of the small town sports team (delusional "big fish little pond" in this case) - and getting a fair go.

Both of those police officers should be investigated NOW and their records checked in regards to what other rapes have gone unreported in that town. Have any other girls left that town in shame after being raped and treated like a "Hoe"? Could you see them allowing a mayor, a sports coach, someone else in charge (their sons?) or any of their other relatives to go to jail for rape? Would they minimise other rapes.  YES they would as proven here by their actions and words- even more if it benefits them and their family. Who else have they given inside information? What else have they minimised- "Oh yes the car wasn't stolen by the mayor's son, it was sitting there begging to be taken so he obliged".

BTW I really doubt Matthew was 1/4 as drunk as he says he was, he's a liar and this was premeditated.  Also, what police officer doesn't know that rape isn't about sex? He sure is d.u.m.b. and shouldn't have a J.O.B. where he can cover for his son any longer.

Replied By: strine on Dec 4, 2013, 11:08PM
Sonny boy Matthew admitted he has heard inside info that the young girl will not be pressing charges etc...where did he hear this inside info? Matthew's father and the father of one of the other boy's fathers is a police officer, so it seems more than a little coincidental that Matthew would have inside information that no one else has... I think this poor girl feels like she has no chance in that town. Imagine being raped by two police officers children - the shining stars of the small town sports team (delusional "big fish little pond" in this case) - and getting a fair go.

Both of those police officers should be investigated NOW and their records checked in regards to what other rapes have gone unreported in that town. Have any other girls left that town in shame after being raped and treated like a "Ho"? Could you see them allowing a mayor, a sports coach, someone else in charge, or any of their other relatives to go to jail for rape? Would they minimise other rapes. YES they would as proven here by their actions and even more if it benefits them and their family.

I'm so sorry she had to go through this alone and be laughed at in her school, labelled as a "promiscuous girl" by her neighbours, had to listen to clueless audience members in Dr Phil's audience clapping after the parents of Matthew blamed her, and even had typed about her some of the stuff I've read on these forums (which I hope she never reads). Do her parents support her or they still stuck in America circa 1920 "modern Afghanistan thinking" where girls are "hoes" if they are raped and not "clean" anymore?   

Why are the guys applauded in that town for passing a girl (they got drunk with that intent)  around like a piece of rubbish, while she is labelled "promiscuous"? They're sick.   BTW I really doubt Matthew was 1/4 as drunk as he says he was, he's a liar and this was premeditated.

Replied By: goldenbeach on Dec 4, 2013, 10:43PM - In reply to janjibu
The father has a very noticable tic.  That indicates some psychological problems IMO.  The son's head is smaller then his neck, why?  I wonder if there is a daughter in the family.  Perhaps they would think differently then.

Replied By: janjibu on Dec 4, 2013, 7:45PM
Just now watching this overseas.  That boy's parents are so stereotyped.  

Is there such a creature as a mother who doesn't believe her son is innocent of any accusations?  Not that I've heard of.  And the policeman father - he's doing the way outdated thing of blaming the girl in a rape charge.  Nasty.

I also agree with earlier comments about the boys' stories sounding coached.  Sadly, it seems society hasn't really changed much over the last few decades.

Replied By: atlhutch on Oct 21, 2013, 6:59PM
These parents are delusional!  The father is supposed to be a cop! What kind of cop is he?  You know what the law is and you know what your boy did is wrong and you sit there and try and justify his behavior.  You need to loss your job!!!  The mother is insane, "Girls have sex drunk all the time!" "Matt does not need to rape anyone, he's a good looking boy and can get any girl he wants".  Are you insane!  Rape is not about getting the girl, its about exerting power over someone and in the case of teens, its about bragging among friends!  Your 'boy' is a liar and a rapist!  The girl made bad choices, definitely, but they set out to get this girl by luring her over there in the first place and they belong in jail!

Replied By: mmrennee on Oct 17, 2013, 7:46PM - In reply to mamabearliv
This did not happen on Matt's Father's property just FYI.....One of the other boys dad is also a sheriff deputy and it occured at his home. 

Furthermore, I am outraged by the moral compass of parents and teens in this generation overall! I think this girl's reputation and life was ruined by boys who wanted bragging rights after that night.....I believe that none of them are telling the truth, not even the girl. I think they should all be held accountable! All of their lives are ruined and the problem is that all this is acceptable in this generation in today's world. Bullying via social media is not taken seriously, popular kids get away with so much more because they are "stars", the incivility that kids treat each other with is appauling. It's not acceptable for grown adults, who say they are upstanding and claim to be Christians,  to lash out at this girl for a poor decision!!!!  It's not okay for these boys to be coddled for underage drinking and putting themselves and this girl in this situation and in this environment where this can happen! 

I have a 14 year old daughter and I can tell you that I know how "boy crazy" she is! But I also know what a bunch of "horn dogs" these boys are at this age too.....mix some alcohol with that and its a DISASTER waiting to happen! Mix that with social media, pics being shown around, humiliation, and well this girl was backed in a corner of ridicule and bullying! I know from one end she had to experience backlash from her own peers just from the issues my own daughter has to deal with in school over boys! My daughter got called a "slut" just because she told a boy she liked him.....it's acceptable these days to walk around and call each other "bitches, hoes, and sluts" like common verbage! To me it's disgusting, it's disrespectful and it's disgraceful. 

I have told my daughter not to accept that from anyone! Its not okay for someone to message you and say, "what's up hoe?" I jumped all over my daughter for her letting a boy text her that as a "joke"..... I don't find it funny at all! 

Im just saying, what kind of world are we really raising are kids in today?? Where has our moral compass gone? What are we teaching are kids? What are we modeling for our children? It's sad and it will only get worse. It is moving towards the "haves and the have nots", and we are letting it happen! 

Just Sayin....

Replied By: stargazer225 on Sep 25, 2013, 3:05PM
Poor judgment on the boys' part?  How about your son having sex 'with friends' is rape.  That's not sex -- it's not a group activity generally.  I can't believe these parents.  I have three boys all around this age, and I'd be MORTIFIED if they stood around and did NOTHING when some poor girl was incapacitated.  Even if my boys hadn't participated, if they handn't helped her, they'd be guilty!  I certainly wouldn't be on national television painting my son as a victim.

His mother seems to know all the reasons her son had sex.  His dad says they were taking out of the school and accused as guilty without a trial.  Go ahead, give them a trial.  I think you're going to have a hard time finding a jury to think it's okay for four boys to have sex with a girl at the same party. 

Replied By: kritaxp on Sep 25, 2013, 5:29AM
Matts story is just not believable. He knows what happened when his friends went down stairs to have sex with this girl – but he does not know who took the photo. Why did he never ask? Next day they never discussed the “sex” – really? Do these teenage boys so frequently share a girl Friday night that it’s just not worth mentioning – same old – same old? One of them felt the urge to show a photo round school the next day – but it was not shown to the other boys during the weekend – really? There was shown a photo off her round the school of the “sex”. Did they not think she would find that humiliating and embarrassing? But somehow we are supposed to believe they would never take advantage of her when she and they were drunk – that’s reserved for being stone sober at school?

I am not sure the boys actually thought they were raping her. The might just be so entitled they thought they had the right to do what they did. After all she was so drunk she didn’t say no. They should take accountability for the fact that no matter what she agreed to or not that night they violated her.

Replied By: tinuschka on Sep 24, 2013, 12:44PM - In reply to melanie1969
OK wait, when your son participated in the sex on the bank of a lake, were you there watching him?  I have both boys and girls and EVERYONE needs to monitor their children.  Keep your son home too and maybe sex by the lake would not happen as well.  Parents of both sexes need to watch what goes on.  Blaming a victim is wrong is EVERY case.

Replied By: tinuschka on Sep 24, 2013, 12:40PM
I do not understand how Matthew's parents can hold so steadfast for their son.  They were not there, however, his mom seems to KNOW that Matthew's interaction held mutual consent.  It seems that their reputation is more important than holding their son accountable for his actions.  It is sickening to see that they are not looking beyond their star athlete son not getting what he wants in life rather than seeing the whole picture.  Victimizing the victim is easier than looking in the mirror and seeing the ugly truth.  Shame on these parents.

Showing 1-10 of total 754 Comments