Twitter Facebook YouTube

2014 Shows

(Original Air Date: 09/11/13) Sandie and LeAnn say they’re engaged to men they’ve only met online -- and their loved ones fear they’re being deceived. Sandie says her overseas fiancé, Max Moose Advisor, proposed to her just two months after they met on a dating website. Over the course of their six-month relationship, she admits she has sent him more than $63,000 -- and he’s asking for more. Is Max real or a “catfish” who is scamming her? Then, LeAnn says she’s head over heels for her fiancé, Terry, who mailed her an engagement ring and often professes his love for her over the phone. Don’t miss what happens when LeAnn calls Terry while onstage -- and Dr. Phil takes over the conversation! Is Terry really who he says he is? Dr. Phil enlists the help of a private investigator -- what does he discover about both fiancés? Plus, hear from Mary, a retired police officer who took matters into her own hands and flew to Nigeria to confront an online con artist! And, how does it feel to unwittingly be the face of a dating scam? Meet the man whose identity was stolen to lure former Dr. Phil guest Dawn into a fake relationship.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: strine on Apr 9, 2014, 12:37AM - In reply to shopgirl333
These scammers go by the playbook for scammers. They show pictures of younger people with jobs such as "military" (to scam the women) or "model" to scam the men/ older women who want something young and attractive on their arm to show off. They also say they are rich, but can't access their money right now so need a little bit- in comparison to their alleged millions (to scam everyone who wants easy money).  These people buy the story hook line and sinker so really the people who are caught by the scam are the fish. Who do you feel less sorry for? Neither?

Replied By: strine on Apr 9, 2014, 12:25AM
Women are so desperate to be loved by someone else, because they think someone else's love makes them valuable. False. Loving yourself and having confidence in yourself makes you valuable - the only value that matters in the end. These scammers also say that they are rich or use pictures of younger attractive people i.e. the women and men being scammed also want money and/ or someone who is younger than them and fits an ideal. The scammers know what people in the west are attracted to.

FYI I looked up "Ridegmore Avenue" and there is not such place in Houston- Ridegmore Drive however does exist. How could she not look up his address and see that no one could mistake living on an "Avenue" with living on a "Drive"? He also didn't sound like he was from Houston. I hope she learns to love herself and stops expecting someone else to come along to save her financially and in other ways.

Replied By: eharmonyscam on Feb 4, 2014, 1:21AM
I was matched on eHarmony with a John Bullock who is in the army in Kabul, Afghanistan. He has had multiple accounts in California I have seen 2 and he had another stating he lived in Minnesota. He began asking me for money after about a month. He claims he is a widower and his mom cares for his kids while he is away. Then his mom's bank acount gets "hacked" and he needs help to support his kids and mom. Please don't fall for this like I did.I have met one other woman who also met John Bullock on eHarmony and was also scammed.

Replied By: ladydian814 on Jan 10, 2014, 7:23PM
I, too, was almost scammed by someone online.  Oh he was cool.  He was talking about his job here in the United States and he had a son.  I don't know whose picture he was using, but I had a gut feeling this man was not real.  I asked many questions and he would trip up.  He said he lived in Greensburg and his son went to a school there.  I contacted some of my friends who had children at that school to find out if they knew his son---they didn't.  No one went to that school by the name given.

He was a rather good-looking man too.  We emailed me many times and I was waiting for the clincher.  It finally came.  He called me "HONEY".   HAH!  How dare him call me 'Honey' when we've never met. 

He told me his son was at work with him when he got hurt at his work and was taken to the hospital, but he needed money to pay for the hospital bill which was X amount of money.   I was laughing out loud and told my friends what was happening. 

I also notified the site and they eventually removed him.   But I bet he got back on again by another name.

Women----please be cautious.   DO NOT SEND MONEY TO ANY PERSON WHOM YOU DO NOT KNOW.

Replied By: sak1280 on Jan 10, 2014, 4:31PM
I can say I had my own "online" experience with someone I met online. Not without difficulty but eventually but after being manipulated, lied to and guilt tripped to the point of exhaustion. We met in person- we both were who we showed ourselves to be physically. After a while his behavior changed a 180 and totally fit that of a narcissit sociopath- after doing reserach. I now realize that the entire relatonship was all about him. That he never cared nor loved him in any way or form. 

I went no contact after he was silent for 2 weeks. He made it clear that he had no remorse for hurting me and his pathetic attempt to apologize was insincere. Now he's probably "happy"  with his ex wife and his kids. Anyway I can't say I'm cautious, I will say that I am more observant of people's actions now, how they treat me in the first place. Not let negative behaviors like pathological lies "slide". 

This guy did me a favor, ultimately in the end all I wanted was to be friends, but I couldn't be friends w somebody like that. Now he's someone else's problem! 

Replied By: sailormom7829 on Jan 6, 2014, 6:04PM - In reply to jccl3k
I am a Navy Mom and my son is a victim.  He met her through another sailor and had been chatting online for a month.  She promised to meet him while he was home on leave.  Needlesstosay, they never met.  Tragic event, lost, no cell service, etc..  While he was home and using his American phone, I was able to track his call histroy and see that her numbers frequently changed.  In addition to 4 different numbers, this number frequently showed:  999/999-9999.

There are 3 sailors involved and 3 girls.  All of which seem to be connected.  All similar stories.  I've shared all information with my son, but not sure if he is still in denial.  He is back overseas now.

I'm also a member of the Navy for Mom site.  I'll have to search to see if I can find information

Replied By: jccl3k on Jan 4, 2014, 1:59PM
Thank you to these women for having the courage to be on tv and be revealed that they had been completely scammed.  The fact that they used an American soldier is disturbing.  I am the mom of new Navy sailor. He is deployed now and Facebook is one of the ways to keep in touch.  Started a discussion on our Navy for moms site in regard to pictures especially with them in uniform with and possible credentials that could be used to fuel a scam. We are so proud of our sailors, soldiers and all that they are doing around the world for our nation.  The Internet is a lifeline for us but of course there are always those out there who take something innocent to use for something bad.   Another hard lesson in regard to nothing posted out there is safe.

Replied By: tmprather on Jan 4, 2014, 12:51PM - In reply to andmere8891
I have a friend that works for the CIA. Trying to prove to my father that this person is stealing the identity of a model in HI - I got ahold of the Scammer's passport and cashier's check that they sent and forwarded it to my friend to have them invesitgate it. Results came back as I thought they would - everything was washed and fake. Even after getting that information, my father still refused to this it was correct. He is in complete denial.

Replied By: andmere8891 on Jan 4, 2014, 11:12AM - In reply to tmprather
Perhaps you should try to get in touch with the FBI sounds like a fraud and federal crimes by this woman.

Replied By: lightshneon on Jan 3, 2014, 11:58PM
I feel bad for these women but surely they saw huge red flags?

Showing 1-10 of total 149 Comments