Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

Heather and Chris say their six-year marriage is on the brink of divorce because of their constant heated arguments, which they admit happen almost daily, in front of their two young children. Heather, a stay-at-home mom, says Chris is so controlling that he constantly accuses her of cheating on him, checks her phone records to see whom she’s calling and won’t let her handle their finances. Chris says Heather is only with him for the money and has gotten violent with him during their disagreements -- some of which have been caught on tape. He says she has kicked him in the privates, slapped him in the face and thrown a tape measure at his head -- all in front of the kids. What’s driving the couple’s anger? Plus, Chris recently filed for divorce -- will he change his mind and agree to work on their marriage? Then, Kerry says she and her husband, Sam, engage in explosive fighting at least four times a week, and she fears someone will get seriously hurt. Can this couple learn to fight fairly? This program contains strong language. Viewer discretion advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: goldenbeach on Dec 29, 2013, 10:08PM
Chris, lose some weight and you will feel healthier, your disposition will be calmer and you can work on your problems.

Replied By: lateharvest on Oct 12, 2013, 4:37PM
It's clear that these two people got together because of the pregnancy.  There's no mutual love...they don't even like each other.  In a perfect world, they would work out their problems and raise their children in  normal home. That's not going to happen here.  

All the counselling in the world will not create love...maybe a bit more tolerance for a short while.  Please send these people  in different directions, with counselling to help them make better choices in their next relationship,  Remaining in this relationship is only prolonging the misery.  

Replied By: drakcots on Oct 10, 2013, 6:15PM
She is being abused in the most hurtful way by being treated like a child.  But I like her spirit.  I loved her putting his wet clothes in the freezer and cutting up his shoelaces.  Childish? Maybe but at least he hasn't completely beaten her down.  Bravoa!

Replied By: diamonddiva on Oct 10, 2013, 11:20AM - In reply to valliann7
You DON'T know whereof you speak! Go to a cemetery or googl;e past newspaper reports in your area of men just like these who MURDERED their wives and then tell me why any woman should stay with an abusive man!  Have you forgotten the too-frequent news stories re men who throw acid or lighter fluid on a woman they're losing control of & if she doesn't die, she's physically & mentally maimed for LIFE!

i was raised in an abusive home, & as I grew, I looked for and found abusive men just like dear old dad, who beat every member of his "family". I finally made a change, & when I did, I met the man I'm about to celebrate my 20th wedding anniversary with. Do I regret leaving ANY of the husbands who beat/choked/kicked/humiliated me? NO, I do not and never will. I look 30 years back & think how STUPID I was to have spent any part of my precious life with these monsters. I did right by leaving, as the wives of these men should, if just for the sake of their impressionable children. Abusive men ALWAYS escalate, often to MURDER!

Replied By: d_julia on Oct 10, 2013, 10:59AM
This show made me sick to my stomach. Chris did nothing but try and try and try to defend his unbelievably abusive behavior. He even chuckled when Dr. Phil pointed out that he is misogynistic. There is NOTHING in the least humorous about a big baby of a "man" who treats his wife like a child. There is NO excuse whatsoever for the dispicable verbal abuse that he dishes out and the attitude he takes with her.
Most importantly, what the hell are they thinking that they fight with the children in ear shot???  Dr Phil seemed to think that their marriage can be saved, but I do not believe that Chris will ever give up his chldish, immature, self centered, controlling behavior. Yes, I'm sure that Heather knows how to dish it out too and can push each and every one of his buttons...why put up with such a sick situation for so long???

Replied By: the_realgirl on Oct 10, 2013, 9:12AM
Funny, Dr. Phil should say this. My Ex said this all the time and claimed it. However, it was the furthest from the truth. He is a direct PRODUCT of his raising and hasn't a clue how to rise above it; even if someone gave him specific instructions. He also continuously claimed that he knew "what NOT to do"... yet that's all he ever did do... the WRONG thing. It's very sad, indeed! Sad mostly, because he cannot even see what he has done wrong... minimizes.... says he doesn't remember.... blames others... manipulative... does not take responsibility or ownership of his own actions. He put me through so much hurt. I finally realized that it does not make one difference what I do.. how I react... if I don't react at all... what I say... or what I don't say... the pattern on his end continues... I had no choice but to end it, because he was slowly ending ME! At 5'4" and 86lbs... he had me stressed to the max. I thought it may the stress from the relationship (knowing that's how stress effects me), but I did not want to believe it... I tried making myself believe that hitting the 40's was the issue. It wasn't. After weighing 86lbs for almost 2 years, and not being able to gain an ounce (although I could drop the weight quicker than a brick hits the floor)... I put on 20lbs (20 POUNDS!) in a months time of calling it quits. NOT ONLY THAT, but as soon as I had it in my mind that this was ending... HAD TO END... I began putting on weight... the weight was trickling back on as the end of our relationship grew near.... once he was out... the weight poured on!

Stress and The Body = CrAziNeSs!!!!!

Replied By: the_realgirl on Oct 10, 2013, 8:50AM - In reply to fenwaypark9
:) It is so good to hear that there are good men out there... yourself and your son-in-laws. It gives me hope! Bless you and your family!!!

Replied By: christyz on Oct 10, 2013, 7:55AM
I watch Dr. Phil all of the time and own most of his books. He usually recommends that women in these situations protect themselves and their children by leaving. This time he blames both parties and says they should go to counseling. These men are both controlling. Taking away a wife's stuff as punishment is a major sign of abuse, not to mention the name calling. Obviously the whole brick incident is a sign of the woman being abusive as well, but I'm betting if you took her out of a situation where she was being verbally abused and put down she wouldn't be acting so crazy. This should have been a domestic violence show not a stop arguing show. These people aren't just arguing they are in a power struggle. A man that has no respect for a woman isn't going to be magically transformed by therapy. I'm really disappointed that Dr. Phil didn't tell the wives to run for the hills, especially when there are children involved.

Replied By: loyalalways on Oct 10, 2013, 4:19AM - In reply to mikesb
You're a disgrace to all the good men. Do you really think it's OK to abuse a woman and tell them how to live their lives? Come on!! No man has a right to tell his wife how to live her life and control her. He wouldn't like it if it was done to him.

Men are NOT superior. Marriage is an EQUAL partnership. A woman has a right to stand up for herself. A husband is NOT the boss. A man also doesn't have a right to put his hands on a woman in anger for ANY reason, no matter what she's said or done.

If a man doesn't like the things his wife says and does to him, then he shouldn't be doing and saying the things to her to make her defend and stand up for herself. She has a right to defend and stick up for herself. She also has a right to do as she pleases. She doesn't need her husband telling her what to do and when to do it. It's ridiculous that a guy would have to know what his wife does every second of the day, read her e mail and watch her phone calls. Only an insecure wimp would do that, yet he doesn't think he has to do the same for her, in most cases..

Thank God that most men aren't like these guys. But, insecure people like these guys make it bad for the rest of them. It's time for them to grow up and act like a man. Real men don't try to control their wives lives or anyone's life, for that matter. Real men have an EQUAL partnership with their wives.

I do give these couples credit for coming to Dr. Phil for help, though. A lot of guys wouldn't do that, like the guy last week who walked off the set after promising that he'd gert some help. Because of his being stubborn,  he won't be able to see his wife and child now because they'll have to go into hiding for safety reasons. People like that deserve to be lonely.

Replied By: tbonet on Oct 10, 2013, 2:32AM
I would not be able to live in either of these households.    Verbal abuse is so emotionally and mentally draining.  The person giving the abuse does not know when to stop.    I saw an episode on OWN with Iyala Vanzant where she had the person being verbally abused taking hits in a boxing ring. The person was dodging the hits.   This was so Right On with what verbal abuse does.  The giver must be so out of control internally.  If someone yells at me or is too critical of me I shut down mentally. I want to run from them.  In life you can not always do this.   I never had verbal abuse in my marriage, if i did, as much as I loved my husband I would have to say goodbye. Just hearing all the fighting from these two couples mades me anxious.  Their poor children.     For me my partner would have to be able to communicate with respect and the same for me back to him.   Life has its frustrations and its gets the best of us.  I saw a Message Board Comment where the person wanted to know what to do when the anger is flared.  Do you walk away, do you agree to discuss the next day.  What are the tools?.   I wish we could have an update with these same guests to see if everything worked out and what steps did they take.    Anger seems to be a Hot Topic on the Dr. Phil show.  Maybe we never were taught how to deal with it and this is why there is so much Domestic Abuse, Divorce and failing adolescents.

Showing 1-10 of total 45 Comments