Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 09/10/13) In a Dr. Phil exclusive, the mother of reality TV star Gia Allemand opens up about her daughter’s tragic suicide. On August 14, 2013, the 29-year-old former The Bachelor star was removed from life support two days after her boyfriend, NBA player Ryan Anderson, found her clinging to life after her suicide attempt. Gia’s mother, Donna, says she was the last person to speak to her daughter. Did Gia give any warning signs of what she was about to do? Donna speaks out about what she believes is the real reason her daughter took her own life. Then, he broke her heart on The Bachelor, but they developed a close and deep friendship. Bachelor star Jake Pavelka remembers Gia in emotional tribute. And, Gia’s former publicist Penelope Jean Hayes remembers her kind and gentle friend. If a friend or loved one is talking about or planning to take his or her life, reach out for help now. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255).

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: cupid2011 on Dec 26, 2013, 10:24AM - In reply to namedeclin
Even if you're living on the street or in a shelter, you can pray and meditate.   

Things will get better.  I realize, it is difficult to believe that things will get better.  Everyone will once again get jobs, but  you need to go for walks and meditate and exercise even a little bit each day.  These things are free and will help keep your spirits up until this crisis is over.  Meditating, exercising, going for walks will help you be better prepared when the job market opens up again. 

Get a group together and exercise and do yoga together.  You can get free books from the library. 

Everyone has access to free Medicare so you can seek some medical care and medication. Visit your local mental hospital for outpatient medical care. 

Replied By: cupid2011 on Dec 26, 2013, 10:18AM - In reply to dsabori
DEPRSSION IS A DANGEROUS AND VERY SERIOUS ILLNESS BECAUSE IT MAKES PEOPLE FEEL ALONE/LONELY AND TOTALLY UNLOVED AND LACK OF ENERGY TO GO ON WITH LIFE. 

ALTHOUGH THEY HAVE TONS OF PEOPLE WHO LOVE THEM

THE UNLOVED AND ALONE AND LONELY FEELINGS ARE TOTALLY UNFOUNDED

THE BRAIN LIES

GIA'S BOYFRIEND WHO TOTALLY LOVED HER WAS ON THE SHOW CRYING. HE WAS GOING TO MARRY HER, BUT GIA'S SHATTERED BRAIN COULDN'T BELIEVE THIS.  

A SHATTERED BRAIN DOENSN'T UNDERSTAND LOVE AND IT NEEDS LOVE DESPERATELY

This happens because the communication between the brains in severed due to lack of chemicals.  The brains needs chemicals in order to communicate with each other. 

Medication and supplements and nutrition (chemicals from fruits, vegestables, nuts, animal flesh), exercises, meditation is needed.  Cognitive Behaviour Therapy is also important.  A variety of treatments helps re-establish the communication between the brains to get rid of the feelings of feeling unloved and the feelings of feeling lonely. 

Replied By: loyalalways on Dec 25, 2013, 11:53PM - In reply to dsabori
You really shouldn't judge someone if you haven't walked in their shoes. I did see a tear or two. However, this woman has been through so much thatI don't think she has any tears left. There is NO way that she's not dying inside because of the loss of her daughter. To make comments about this woman, who is obviously in a TON of pain, is cruel!!!! I hope that  you don't end up going through the same thing for you to realize that there are different ways of grieving. Karma is a bitch!! Sometimes the tears just won't come after awhile. There's not a doubt in my mind that this poor woman is in so much pain that she can barely exist. Think about how you'd feel if your child died!!! Think about how you'd feel if people ridiculed you for not grieving exactly the same way they thought you should grieve.

Replied By: namedeclin on Dec 25, 2013, 11:49PM
In the fall the local station moved the evening time of your show to 6 pm.  I am working, so this was the first time I could see your show since September.  I hope they move it back to the evening time or that your show goes on hulu or another site where people can watch it at any time and not just 2 and 6 pm.

Replied By: namedeclin on Dec 25, 2013, 11:46PM
This woman had a mother and friends who loved her and she had work, an income and a place to live.  I hope there will be a future show about all those people who are unemployed and losing their unemployment benefits and foodstamps - people who don't have an income, who will be  homeless, and who may not have relatives and friends to help them - maybe their friends and family are turning away from them.  Calling the suicide prevention hotline isn't going to help those suffering people out there.  They need people willing to hire them, and until then they need their benefits, not 800 numbers.  Even if the extensions pass it is only for another 3 months.  Then the people eligible for extensions in 3 months will face the loss of benefits.  And it may be less than 3 months because delays in passing it may make the benefits retroactive.  The thought of elderly who earn less than $1200 per month on Social Security losing their food stamps is another dangerous situation.  What are people in their 80s going to do without the food stamps and with meals on wheels cut?

Replied By: dsabori on Dec 25, 2013, 8:19PM - In reply to brennafj30
Neither did I.  The mother did not shed a tear and perhaps the mother is in denial.  In my opinion,  Gia did not feel she had anyone.  There is something not right here.  Hopefully the truth will be told 

I am so sorry for the loss of such a beautiful girl. 

Replied By: homeimps on Dec 25, 2013, 6:12PM
Did I hear correctly that Gia's Mom said that her going on The Bachelor was a good thing for Gia, as it gave her a confidence she hadn't had before? This was evidently a severely flawed young woman whose lack of self worth helped lead to her eventual suicide. I seriously doubt that anyone who lacks inner confidence is going to be changed overnight by any TV show, never mind one like The Bachelor, which is rooted in a completely artificial concept. Either I heard wrong, or Gia's Mom perhaps didn't understand the harm that this show could inflict on her daughter. My sympathies go to all who loved this young woman and to Gia herself. I hope that her legacy will be to help prevent similar tragedies in the future.

Replied By: spanky123412 on Dec 25, 2013, 4:43PM
suicide is a hard thing to talk about because of some who goes through depression i should know my friend who i knew for over 40 yrs commited suicide back in july and i'm still wanting to know why he did this he had family and friends who cared about him he tryed back in december of 2002 then again in early 2008 he had shock treatment twice but it didn't help him then on july 29th of this yr he took his own life by shooting himself in the chest with his shotgun in which i wish i had taken it away from him i understand that when they do this there pain is gone but people he left behind like myself is hurting everyday knowing he isn't here anymore he was a really fun guy to be around before it happened to me shock treatment doesn't work there has to be something that can help people who want to comment suicide there has to be

Replied By: pskran on Dec 25, 2013, 3:32PM
Anyone see the blue orbs on the TV screen every time a picture of this girl was shown? Her spirit was coming thru!

Replied By: brennafj30 on Dec 25, 2013, 2:42PM - In reply to loyalalways
i never saw mom cry tears.

Showing 1-10 of total 169 Comments