Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

As difficult financial times put additional strain on familial relationships, rage-filled outbursts are on the rise. Dr. Phil explores a wide spectrum of anger, from irrational fits to yelling at your kids like a broken record. His first guest, Mimi, says her husband, Ed, loses his temper while trying to lay down the law with their 13-year-old son, and she's tired of being the referee. Ed says he's frustrated with the teen's attitude. Dr. Phil cameras capture the fighting, which has even became physical. Are these parents expecting too much out of the boy, or is he to blame for the confrontations? Dr. Frank Lawlis, chairman of the Dr. Phil Advisory Board, sits down with the teen. You'll be surprised to learn what he discovers. Find out what Dr. Phil suggests these parents do to keep the peace in the family. Then, meet Isabella. She says her rage grows worse with every year, and anyone is subject to her outrageous outbursts, including her own mother. You won't believe the shocking footage caught by in-home cameras, often in front of her 5-year-old son. Find out the list of items that causes Isabella to unleash her anger, and why she thinks she behaves in this manner. Is she ready to get real and end the tirades? Watch these guests and learn how to manage the frustrations in your life. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: sukibear on Feb 6, 2009, 5:04AM - In reply to pufnone
Dear Isabella,

I am a 50 year old woman who grew up with a mother who suffered from rage episodes.  Like your son, I also did not react.  I didn't react because I didn't know if that rage would ever be turned on me.  And for many years it was not.  And then I became a teenager.  And it happened. Over and over.  Once the beast was unleashed it bacame easier and easier for her to do.  Without realizing how much fear had been instilled in me as a child I had no idea what to do but silently take it...and die inside.

She is 72 now and I am still terrified of her and she still rages at me and anyone else who she feels deserves it. 

I wonder how my life would have been different without that fear?  I am not a "rager", but I also have great difficulty in setting boundaries with those who would take advantage of my quiet nature and i have a terrible tendency to merely disappear from all confrontation. 

It does and will affect your son.  I know.  You can make a difference in his life and I can tell how much you love him.  I think my mother probably loved me.  Just not enough to change.

Replied By: confused110 on Feb 4, 2009, 11:28AM - In reply to jsn926
What gave you the courage to leave after 33 years of marriage?  It will soon be 25 years for my H and I and everytime he goes into one of is raging fits, I want to kick him out.  He blows up at my 17 year old daughter all the time too.  She's lost all respect for her father.  Most days are good but his negativity and outbursts are wearing me down.  He seems to think that I just need to let him act that way.  He says that I'm too sensitive and I need to overlook how he is.  I'm so afraid of telling him that I can't take it anymore because I think that maybe I am making more out of it that what it is.  How do you know the difference?  How do I know if I'm over reacting? 

Replied By: dawn5848 on Feb 4, 2009, 9:14AM
I have to say that I agree with Isabella 100%. I myself act the same way and I feel that some people just desere it

Replied By: caztrated on Feb 3, 2009, 10:07PM
Dr. Phil, FYI, Isabella's rage went over the top after she was given a total hysterectomy.  I noticed on your show today that you referenced your wife's book regarding a Chapter about menopause.  A woman who has had her ovaries removed (female castration), cannot go through menopause.  Menopause is the very slow decline in the production of ovarian hormones.  Ovaries produce hormones all a woman's life, even though they decline after the 40's and continue to decline up into the 80's.  When the ovaries are removed, the woman experiences permanent loss of ovarian function.  The younger the woman, the more damaging, but it permanently damages endocrine function, and there is no HRT that replaces the intricate work that ovaries do.  There are studies showing that hysterectomized/castrated women have shorter life spans than intact women.

Why don't you do a show about how most hysterectomies are unnecessary.  The HERS Foundation is trying to pass a law so that women will be given the correct information before they consent to a hysterectomy "HAVE LAW".  Gynecologists have already removed the female reproductive sex organs of over 1/3 of the female population in the United States.  Over ONE-THIRD of the female population do NOT have sex organs.  You asked the female gynecologist on your show where they get a healthy uterus to transplant.  She never answered you directly, because the sad truth is that healthy uterus's are being removed from women's bodies every day by gynecologists.  Studies have shown that 70-90% are unnecessary, yet no one does anything to stop it.  They used to remove children's tonsils for profit, but that's not nearly as damaging.  Please do a show on this subject.  Please visit the HERS Foundation on the web.

Replied By: kmrogers80 on Feb 3, 2009, 4:50PM
Oh my goooooooooooooooodness!!!  I cannot even believe this.... I have the exact same thing as Isabella except that instead of anger, i have anxiety and panic. I have always been told that I had ADHD  with anxiety (which may hold true) but in my heart I have always known that it also had something to do with my  short breaths and/or lack of oxygen but have never known how it was connected or how to explain it to a Dr. So THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Replied By: cmarente on Feb 3, 2009, 11:05AM
I was beaten physically and abused verbally all throughout my childhood, and I still have empathy for others and don't feel the need to verbally thrash others. This girl has issues.

Replied By: kristy_in_il on Feb 3, 2009, 10:07AM
As I

Replied By: kristy_in_il on Feb 3, 2009, 10:07AM
As

Replied By: kristinao on Feb 2, 2009, 9:14PM
OK so seriously don't let these people in the audience or on this board create some issue that you don't have. There is not a person in this world that at some point/points have not felt and acted on this rage. yes your child was in the room but it happens no one is perfect a child either learns from you or others. so mom gets angry at people yells, cusses, screams and throws a fit. little dramatic but at times deserved and needed. you can only take so much. my preacher once told me that even the best of them drink beer and act like fools. if your son hears you angry he also hears you happy and as long as no matter his age you explain the situation like you would to most adults calmly all will be well he will know that it happens but that does not make it right. stay strong and stay your self .
i have never watched a show that i wanted to comment on ever i just feel that those who are against you are hiding in their own disaloution they've done it they know it it's just easier for them to judge someone else instead of point at them selve. i'm sure Dr. phil is not the calm man you see on tv all the time,
i know that they aired comments but this one is to you they will never air the people on your side that might actually make you look like an average human with no real issues for them to analyse

Replied By: pufnone on Feb 2, 2009, 7:33PM
I totally understand where Isabella is coming from. I feel the same way a lot of the time. I guess the only difference is I don't let it out like she does, towards others.
I wait until I am home alone to yell and scream (if I want to) but not at anyone in paticular.
However, when I was younger I did. I have gotten into a lot of fights and screaming matches with teachers, ex-boyfriends, etc.
I think she needs to get help to control her anger. Learn how to take it out on inanimate objects instead of people. Get a punching bag or take up kick boxing or something to get it out.
The only person your are REALLY hurting with you rage is yourself. Everyone else can (and will ) leave, but you are stuck with you. So even if you (think) you don't care about anyone else, you need to care about yourself and the damage you are doing to your brain and heart with this attitude.
Learn to relax! Meditate, sleep,take walks, etc.
Hate and Rage WILL kill you quicker than any disease.

Showing 1-10 of total 157 Comments