Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 01/14/09) Dr. Phil continues his look at extreme religious groups and how their influence can shatter lives and rip families apart — all in the name of God. Wayne Bent, leader of The Lord Our Righteousness Church in New Mexico, was sentenced to 10 years in prison for sexual misconduct with teenage followers. Lorraine and Bambi are former members of this group who left a mother and two sisters behind. They say they were are concerned  that their family members are fasting, which they considered a matter of life and death. Dr. Phil cameras follow the two women as they travel to the compound in New Mexico in an attempt to rescue their relatives. Is their mission successful, or will they have to accept that their loved ones may live in this environment forever? Then, Taariq and Nichole are a brother and sister who were raised in a group called the United Nuwabian Nation of Moors, on a 400-acre compound located outside of Atlanta. The siblings say they were forced to drop out of school and were sexually molested by the group’s leader, Dwight York. Although York was put in prison with the help of Nichole and Taariq’s testimony, they say they still struggle to move forward with their lives. Can Taariq and Nichole adjust to the outside world? Don’t miss the warning signs that your loved one could be involved in an extreme religious group. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: thinflorida on Aug 8, 2009, 9:11PM
I have not seen my son, 20 yrs old, since March 28 when he moved out of the house wih an "eccentric" religious man that came in daily into his work.  The man appeared harmless in the beginning but soon he had convinced my son he is the 'Angel Gabriel' and our family has demons and those demons are passed down through generations and throughout the family.  Unfortunately, the owner of the business neglected to not only stop the religious pressure at work but also succumbed to the same cult that was taking place.  My son is now living in a communial type of situation in motel rooms.  Unfortunately, we do not know the other members or how old the girls are in the room with 'Gabriel'.  We have contacted all levels of law enforcement with no help since he is over the age of 18.  My son is intelligent and 'lost'.  We miss him more that can be put into words but are afraid to provoke the leader or 'the group' concerned they will leave the area and I will not be able to find my son.  If I had not lived this nightmare for the last four months I would not believe this could happen.  It can and it does. even to the most 'normal' of families.  Unfortunately. this leader is not associated with any formal group so their purpose or mission is unknown.  Any help or guidance is most welcome. This is all-consuming and has put our lives on hold until he returns home.

Replied By: justdoitnow on Aug 8, 2009, 2:43PM
Hi all,

The show made me relive a lot of painful memories. To see other ex cultmembers hug their family, who are still in the cult, was hard.  It made me realize how much I miss my own family and former friends.
A few years ago, age 44,  my husband and I left the cult of Jehovah's Witnesses. It has been, and still is, hard. Still I don't want to go back.
Everything Dr. Rick Ross and Dr. Frank Lawlis said in the show I can confirm out of my own experience. The mindcontrol. The use of emotional blackmail techniques.The labeling as soon as a cultmember starts to think out of the box and at the end the loss of so many familymembers and friends. We are, in the eyes of the cultmembers, children of Satan and disfellowshipped as apostates, because we questioned certain things. The realisation that we wére in a cult was a shock to begin with. We were born and raised in the cult  so it was hard to discern truth from lie. I couldn't understand why I felt so fearfull an guilty all the time. It didn't seem right.  I read in the bible about peace and freedom in Christ but I couldn't feel it. That made me very insecure and I felt a failure for feeling unhappy in the so called 'Truth'. I thought it was my fault. I was sick of guilt and started to search for the reason why. The emotional blackmail became more and more recognisable and I slowly discovered other sides of the 'story'. Shock after shock followed. Reality kicked in and many changes started to occur. I have no regrets. Still we are dealing with the aftereffects of making a new start.  There are many scars and we as a family have to deal with them.  Meanwhile we feel much more at peace and we feel the freedom in Christ. We no longer want to follow men, as we, in hindsight, did for so many years.
In the Netherlands there are not so many people who help you to start again. Many counsellors and psychologists don't accept the deep impact a cult makes in someone's brain, soul and emotions. It is like talking to a brick wall. That lack of support made me feel lonely and made it harder to cope. 
To be able to help others who try to pick up the pieces after leaving a cult, I'm going back to 'school', to become a counsellor. We'll see what happens. I'm not there yet. There are many things I have to learn, but I do hope I will be able to help others in one way or the other. It gives meaning to the live we've spend in the cult. 
Support and understanding, especially recognition, without being judged or labeled, are the most important gifts we can give to ex-cultmembers. It is possible to start all over again. Even if you are middle aged. It is possible. Even then you can learn to start loving yourself, build up your selfesteem and find your innerstrength. It is never to late.

With love, Frances

Replied By: quizative on Aug 8, 2009, 1:38PM
Dear Nichole and Taariq,
First I want to encourage you to be strong.    I wish I knew you so I could come beside you and offer you friendship and support.   God does love you and I believe he is watching over you and he will judge the people who have his word for their own evil. 
You are very strong young people to follow your hearts and the minds that God gave you to seek the truth.   Please don't let this make you bitter.   You are both young,  beautiful and very smart.    I wish I could just hug you and keep you safe.  
I would also like to apologize to you for the ugliness of this world.    For the hatred that has been delivered racially from whites to blacks that help lend to these situations where fear forces a  man to feel like he must raise the next generation to fear all whites.   As a  white woman and mother this makes me ache.    Please remember that all people of ANY race do not feel that way,,  just as all ment that claim to be of GOD are not good.   Judge each man for himself and do all you can to end this ugly evil of racism.  Dont let the few that spread it have power over you or make you bitter.    There are many people o different races that are good and will love you and help you to heal....if you let them.  
You are both beautiful and the way you handle this is admirable.   If Dr.  Phil and see my email address please share it with these two and invite them to write to me personally.   I would consider it an honar to offer you encouragment.   God bless you on your journey.   

Replied By: kangarooman on Aug 8, 2009, 3:45AM - In reply to uneeklady
My wife and I were in a cult from our mid-forties till nearly sixty.  We were out several years before we even knew it was a cult.  The best book I have found to educate yourself and understand what a cult is , "CULTS IN OUR MIDST" which many libraries, book stores and Amazon.com will have.

Replied By: looksback on Aug 7, 2009, 9:41PM - In reply to teesea
I agree with you, cult leaders are sociopaths.  My daughter is in a cult.  She is 30 and I've always said this man is a sociopath.  I didn't realize it until she left with him and now I never see her and rarely talk to her.  It scares me and I feel so helpless. Sociopathic behavior or cult leaders should be discussed.

Replied By: looksback on Aug 7, 2009, 9:37PM - In reply to msreneec
Understanding the dynamics of cult leaders is what is needed not punishment of the parents of victims. My daughter is 30 and has been in a cult for 3 years.  We were wooed by the leader, had no clue and once he took her to travel with him with the promise of marriage, I haven't seen her alone since then. It's all changed once she left home.  I try to understand all that I can and reach out  to as many people and through Dr Phil's show have learned more resources.  There isn't a day that goes by that I am punished by her absence.  You need to walk a mile in our moccasins before you judge us.

Replied By: looksback on Aug 7, 2009, 9:32PM
I am so thankful for the information about cults.  My daughter is in one and I haven't been able to find any information about them or resources and now I have them.  My heart goes out to all the victims.  It gives me hope through their courage to speak out.  It helps me to know what happens to the brain as they enter and what they go through to re adjust when they come out.  Thank you to each person who shared their personal story.  I want you to know that you were an answer to my prayer.

Replied By: tomietto on Aug 7, 2009, 4:57PM
I'm a disability person too, And I work  at the Dunn building and I joined Community Living Brant so I could do want ever I want. Lesly do you have an sl worker come and take you out? Yes or No. I don't like it when they switch are current worker to older sl worker , and are current Sl worker gets to keep the other people who she had longer. Lesly do you think that's right.
plese reply back

Replied By: msreneec on Aug 7, 2009, 4:17PM
HI DR. PHIL, IT MY PLEASURE TO COMMENT ON THIS TOPIC, IN MY OPINION THERE'S NOT A STIFF ENOUGH PUNISHMENT FOR THE LEADER OF THESE CULTS.  HOWEVER WHEN AN IF CAUGHT AN PROSECUTED FOR THESE GOD AWFUL CRIMES IN MY OPINION THE PARENTS OF THESE KIDS SHOULD ALSO BE FACE WITH PUNISHMENT. BECAUSE WHETHER OR NOT CULT OR NOT THERE PARENTS SHOULD BE PARENTS AN NOT LET NO HARM COME THERE KIDS, ANYONE THAT'S A MOTHER OR FATHER NO MATTER WHAT YOU MAY WANT TO BELIEVE RELIGIOUSLY KNOWS THERE'S SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WHEN A MAN THAT SUPPOSIVELY TEACHING YOU RIGHT AN WRONG IN THE EYES OF GOD SHOULD HAVE ACCESS TO THE INNOCENCE OF YOUR CHILD. GOD OR NO GOD MAN OR NO MAN WILL EVER CONVINCE ME IN NO SENSE OF THE WORD OF GOD THAT IT'S OK FOR HIM OR THEM TO RAPE MY CHILD OR CHILDREN. SO LIKE I SAID NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE ARE BEING HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAVE AN HAS BEEN HAPPENING TO THOSE KIDS OF THOSE CULTS.

Replied By: billhb on Aug 7, 2009, 2:16PM

Showing 1-10 of total 39 Comments