Twitter Facebook YouTube

2009 Shows

(Original Air Date: 01/12/09) While battling cancer, Paula says she missed the signs that her 21-year-old daughter, C.J., was disconnecting from the family and turning to drugs to heal her anguish. After Paula’s husband, Jim, had an affair, the signs of trouble with their daughter became clearer. Since then, the family has done everything, including rehab, counseling and tough love, but nothing has kept C.J. drug free. Now C.J. ingests combinations of 13 prescription and street drugs, and is on the edge of killing herself. Anthony, her brother, is fed up and says she is ruining their family. Can they survive the constant turmoil? And is C.J. ready to get clean? Next, one of the heroin twins returns to Dr Phil to celebrate one year of sobriety and share her difficult road to recovery. Plus, emergency room physician and host of The Doctors Dr. Travis Stork says that he rarely spends a night in the E.R. without seeing a victim of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs. Find out the most common mistakes people make and the questions you should ask yourself before you take a pill. Join the discussion.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: kbball50 on Feb 28, 2012, 9:01AM
Dr.Phil what ever happened to the twins that used drugs and Brandon was helping? Did the ever go to treatment and get clean? Would like to see and update on them.

Replied By: diva0517 on Jan 4, 2011, 11:27PM
I watched this show tonight with my husband and it brought tears to my eyes. I know exactly how she is feeling and what she is going through. When I was using myself 4 years ago I never realized how much I was hurting the people around me nor did I really care as long as I got my fix. I was prostituting to get the drugs , putting myself in dangerous situations everyday, I was living in the ghetto with drug dealers. I was lieing , cheating, stealing, manipulationg everyone. It took for me to get busted with the drugs and end up in jail, then after I got out of jail I went straight to rehab. I got clean and moved out of the city where I was using and away from the people that I associated myself with when I was using drugs. I am 4 years clean and counting, Ive forgiven myself for the things Ive done and the mistakes Ive made. Ive come to terms with my feelings and the excuses I was using just to make it ok in my mind to use drugs. I learned how to deal with life and the problems that come my way in a positive way and not negative. I am now married to a great guy who helps to remind me of the positive things everyday and how far I have come in my life. I am currently attending college to become a drug and substance abuse counsoler. Nothings better than helping others to change their lives around and show them that there is life after drugs. I will continue to watch your show. and I would like to know what happened to Cj? Is she clean? How is she doing? Thanks so much .
 Crystal Whipple

Replied By: jenniferlang on Sep 22, 2010, 7:38PM
Dr Phil...
I watched the show today, as I do everyday...Your show has taught me so much about how to live my life.
Todays show was like I was watching my own life unfold. Except for the fact that not only have I been dealing with my heroin addicted daughter, but also trying to mourn and recover from the death of my 17 year old daughter,after a two year battle with cancer. Just two weeks ago, my daughter,Jenna overdosed and she did not have any vital signs. I called 911 and I gave her cpr and pumped her chest 200 times, to just watch her lips turn a blue colour and her skin become very pale and grey, she had absolutely no signs of life. The thought that kept crossing my mind, was that I am going to have to bury another daughter, I don't want to live without them. After 911 showed up, she was taken to a local hospital and it took about four hours for the staff to get her to the point that she was stable enough to leave. At that point, my husband had called the police on her and she was immediately picked up and taken into custody. He called the police because she is on probation,due to charges related to drugs and she was not to be using any drugs. He just doesn't understand that she can't stop doing heroin without help. The phsical pain that she endures if she tries to stop on her own, is unliveable. I agree with what was said on the show today, that addicts need help to stop, they can not stop on their own.
Our problem is that in Canada, especially Ontario, there just isn,t enough treatment facilities, and if you find one, then you are put on a waiting list that could take months. Jenna doesn't have months
,she will die.
I found her a private treatment centre in Montreal, that cost us 17000.00 dollars. We had to get loans to finance this, and as it turned out, it was a horrible treatment facility, which we now know has been refused on many occasions for government sanction, because it is a scam. We are fighting to get our money back, it was all the money that we have for treatment. Our savings were all used up, paying for medication and travel to and from hospital and accomodations, when our other daughter had cancer. We just can,t catch up.
So, Jenna is now in a private 35 day treatment for women in Windsor, Ontario...the cost for this treatment was 6000.00, but it is only 35 days. Jenna needs long term in house treatment, or she is going to die.
She has been battling addiction of different sorts for the past 8 years or so, and it has been a living hell for our family. Coupled with the death of our other daughter. Dr. Phil could you please help us.
I am attending some courses through local centres...for family in crisis, and to learn how not to be a codependent. I don,t think that I am capable physically, mentally or emotionally to deal with any more drug use from my daughter. She will be home in about 25 days, I am so scared for her and for us.

PLEASE HELP ME......
Jenna,s Mom...(Jennifer)

Replied By: lisaboles1972 on Apr 21, 2009, 7:15AM
My ex-husband was addicted to oxyxontin for a couple of years, and his younger sister has been an addict of one thing or another since she was 16. She is now 32, has 4 children who are being raised by others and there is no end in sight. She gave birth to her last child while in jail. She is still there, and this is the longest she has been clean since she started using.
It is very easy to get whatever you want, more so for pretty females. But she has completely ruined her life. She has heart, liver, kidney and brain damage due to the drugs.
I have two teen-age children who have so far not been interested in drugs, but they have a perfect example in their aunt as to why not to use.
I have also found a website that will tell me what any pill that I find in my house or in my childrens belongings is. That gives some peace of mind.

Replied By: countrycb on Apr 18, 2009, 8:30AM
I've written to Dr. Phil's show.........I've lost count how many times over probably the last 6 months or more.  My daughtyer is 24 years old and watched this show...in tears..feeling helpless against her own additions to Roxys or any opiate, xanax, or any pill that she could get..  She's been addicted for at least 2 years (she says).  Honestly I don't know.  I only found out about it 3 months ago when she called me from New Jersey (where she was visiting)  to tell me SHE WAS 6 months PREGNANTand just found out.  That was on the heals of her getting out of rehab (for the second time last year).  That rehab had tested her negative for pregnancy and treated her detox.  Both times was only 3 days.  If you know addicts you know that was a waste of time.

Anyway her doctor stated she CAN NOT withdraw from the drugs while pregnant because that would risk death to the child and possibly to her.  Try being a good mom in this situation.  I love my daughter.  I hate her choices and decisions.  Her emergencies become my responsibilities.

She gave birth about 3 weeks ago to a little boy (my grandson).  He suffered through 2 weeks in ICU with withdrawal (poor little guy)  and presently is out of the hospital on medication to sustain him through the rest of the withdrawal.  My heart has been broken multiple times.  My daughter seems to be experiencing guilt and post partum depression.  Add to this that she has social anxiety disorder, boderline bipolar and borderline manic depressive.  (diagnosed by a dr).

Last week she had used 40 pills for pain prescribed by the dr in three days instead of 7.  She then wanted the blue roxys....I said HELL NO.  After her repeated tel calls to my work threatening to steal or do "whatever I have to do" to get them and following that up with I'd rather be dead that live like this.  Daring me to not believe she'd kill herself.  I had her baker-acted last Thursday.  I don't want my daughter dead. She may be released tomorrow.

Now I can send her to a rehab this Monday...........if only I had the $600.00 to do that.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.  My heart aches for any addict or family thereof going through this.  May God carry us all through this.  I pray he will.

Replied By: hcfcafpso on Apr 17, 2009, 6:17AM
I watched this show and contacted la hacienda. My niece is an addict and needs help desperately. She has no health insurance and so would be considered self pay. How is the average person suppose to afford the wonderful care available? Anyone have advise?

Replied By: trdavid on Apr 16, 2009, 10:18AM
I WANTED TO WRITE SOME MORE INFORMATION ABOUT MY SON, BECAUSE SOME HOW I HOPE IT CAN HELP OTHERS.
MY SON STARTING ABUSING DRUGS WHEN HE WAS AROUND 14YRS OLD , IT STARTED AS JUST SMOKING POT , THEN WHEN HE WAS 16YRS OLD HE STARTED TAKEN ECTASY  WITH HIS FRIENDS, THEN LATER IT WAS METH.  AFTER HE WAS AROUND 18YRS OLD HE STARTED SHOOTING UP HEROIN, SOMETHING I DIDN'T KNOW UNTIL LATER.  THEN HE MET HIS BABIES MOM AND SHE GOT PREGNANT. HE WENT TO A METHADONE CLINIC TO GET OFF THE HEROIN. HE DID THIS FOR OVER 2YRS AND HE DID GREAT. I WASN'T HAPPY WITH HIM USING METHADONE, BUT IT KEPT HIM CLEAN FOR THAT TIME. THEN HIM AND HIS BABIES MOM BROKE UP. WHILE GOING TO THE METHADONE CLINIC HE FOUND OUT FROM ANOTHER DRUG ABUSER THAT IF YOU GO TO A DOCTOR AND GET A PRESCRIPTION FOR XANEX  THE METHADONE CLINIC WON'T SAY ANYTHING. SO HE DID.....AT FIRST THE FIRST DOCTOR GAVE HIM XANEX BUT IT DIDN'T TAKE THAT DOCTOR LONG TO FIGURE OUT HE WAS ABUSING THE XANEX AND HE WOULDN'T GIVE HIM ANY MORE.
SO HE STARTED GETTING THE ILLEGALLY, ONE DAY HE WAS IN A CAR WITH SOME ONE WHO GOT STOPPED AND HE HAD XANEX IN HIS POCKET, HE WENT TO JAIL, I GOT HIM OUT.(FIRST MISTAKE) THAT WAS IN APRIL ON 2008. THEN JULY 4TH 2008 HE WENT TO A BAR AND DRANK AND SOMEONE THERE SOLD HIM SOME XANEX AND HE LEFT THE BAR AND COULDN'T DRIVE SO HE PULLED OVER AND WENT TO SLEEP IN A PARKING LOT BUT LEFT HIS CAR RUNNING, THE POLICE  CAME AND TOOK HIM TO JAIL FOR HAVING ACTUAL PHYSICAL CONTROL OF A VEHICLE AND POSSESION OF PILLS, NOT MANY JUST A  COUPLE, HE WENT TO JAIL, 2ND MISTAKE I GOT HIM OUT. THEM JULY 12TH HE WAS ON HIS WAY TO WORK AND HAD TAKEN SOME XANEX AND WAS DRIVING LIKE HE WAS DRUNK THE GOT STOPPED AND TOOK TO JAIL, THIS TIME I LEFT HIM IN JAIL, HE STAYED FOR 21 DAYS. THE JUDGE ORDER HIM TO GO TO REHAB AND HE CAME TO STAY WITH ME.  I GOT HIM IN 2 DIFFERENT REHABS HE STAYED IN ONE 2 DAYS AND THE OTHER MAYBE 24HRS. (HE'S OVER 18YRS AND YOU CAN'T MAKE THEM STAY)
HE GOES BACK TO HIS DADS TO STAY(AT THIS TIME HE HAS LOST HIS GOOD JOB) HE GOES TO 3 MORE REHABS AND THE LONGEST HE STAYED WAS 10 DAYS.

HE ACTUALLY STAYED CLEAN FOR A FEW MONTHS BEFORE HE  DIED. THEN HE FOUND A NEW DOCTOR TO PRESCRIBE HIM XANEX...ON FEB 14TH ONE OF HIS SO CALLED FRIENDS PAID FOR HIS PRESCRIBTION AND THEN TOOK HIM AROUND WHILE HE SOLD SOME, THEN TOOK HIM TO A PERSONS HOUSE SO HE COULD TRADE FOR SOME OXYCOTIN.

THAT IS WHEN HE THEN WENT TO SOME FRIENDS HOUSE AND ANOTHER FRIEND AND HIM WERE SNORTING OXY AND TAKING XANEX AND DRINKING. AND HE FELL ASLEEP AND THREW UP AND IT WENT BACK IN HIS LUNGS AND HE ASPERATED. AND AS MY OTHER STORY GOES HE DIED FEB 16TH 2009.

AS I SAID BEFORE IF YOU THINK IT CAN'T HAPPEN TO YOUR FAMILY IT CAN. THE PICTURE ON MY PROFILE IS MY SON...24 YRS OLD AND GONE. I MISS HIM MORE THAN EVER.

THERESA

Replied By: poogh1574 on Apr 16, 2009, 7:14AM
I have a 31 year old daughter with a 3 year old son who is very fragile.  She has RA and fibermyolga and has been over precscibed pain medications.  She claims she is in severe pain without it.  She has slowly went down hill until recently when she was taken hostage by real drug dealers and used as a "Mule."  She was injected in both arms with ice and other drugs, called a cocktail.  She claims her friends are stealing her lortab.  Her doctor is prescribing 280 tablets a month for a 210 lb. girl.

We are spiraling down hill.  She is not capable of making good decisions and continues to throw money away and just lost her house because she spent $4000 in less than two months. (Income tax refund)  She never once offered to pay me and her dad any of the debt she owes us.  Our family needs intervention but she is not willing to admit she needs help.

Any suggestions?

Replied By: balesntools on Apr 15, 2009, 11:07PM - In reply to jjpgrandma
I hear you pain and disappointment and I'm so very sorry to hear of your 42 year old daughter. My only son is 24 and is also caught up in the prescription drugs among other drugs like cocaine, weed and, I'm sure many others. He's in complete denial and I think as a mother, regardless of the age of your 'children' they're still your kids and you love, care and want to protect them, but you can't. Like you said, your daughter will only get better when she's ready and, I know for me... those are tough words to follow because you don't know if they'll make it another day, week or even year at the rate they're going. My prayer for you is that you never give up on your daughter; continue to love her where she's at by remaining in close contact with her as you can... because we never know when we're going to get that 'call' that says, "Mom... I'm ready to get some help." Hold on to hope... hold on to the vision of that healthy, beautiful and vibrant daughter that you raised and we'll join with you in prayer that she, like my son, will find their way back to a fulfilled and healthy lifestyle.
I send you hugs and my prayers because together, we can do this!!

Replied By: blgspc on Apr 15, 2009, 9:51PM - In reply to dirtlifter3
I responded to your post before I read this one.
I am NOT going to try and talk you out of abusing drugs because that would be a supreme waste of my time.

You actually want to know if there is a "safe" way to mix DRUGS?!? Answer is: NO!

The TRUTH is that what you're doing ONLY gets worse! If you are chewing ANY narcotic to enhance your high you are running the risk of overdose! Further, if you have another diagnosis you run the risk of making a manageable situation, profoundly unmanageable!
If you REALLY want to know about how these addictive substances can influence YOUR LIFE and the lives of those around you, you need to read what some of the mother's and other families have said on this board! Marriages typically are the first to go.  However, the losses keep coming until you are REALLY ALONE!

Addiction is about LOSSES! Losing everything you have and every relationship you have!  

Showing 1-10 of total 136 Comments