Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

When Dr. Phil first met eye-rolling, defiant 16-year-old Sabby, she was too much for her mother, Courtney, to handle. After the show, Dr. Phil sent Sabby to Turn-About Ranch, a residential facility for troubled teens, where after 16 weeks, she was making progress -- until Courtney cut short the teen’s treatment and took her home. Now, Courtney says Sabby is smoking marijuana, having sex and has dropped out of school -- behavior that Courtney says has also rubbed off on Sabby’s 14-year-old sister. Courtney pleads for Dr. Phil’s help once again -- is it too late to get this out-of-control teen back on the right track? Then, Lisa says her 15-year-old son, Brandon, is a “raging lunatic” who smokes marijuana and has assaulted her, his stepfather, Tom, and other children -- and she fears he’ll end up dead or seriously hurting someone. Brandon admits that he loses control when he’s angry but says that he just wants his parents to butt out of his life. What’s at the root of his rage? And, meet Tonya and Rickie, who say their 16-year-old daughter -- who has a social disorder -- was elected to her high school’s homecoming court as part of a cruel joke by bullies. Hear why they believe further action should have been taken against the students involved. Plus, tune in to hear Dr. Phil’s tips on what to do if your child is being bullied.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: dcoxen on Jul 17, 2013, 7:30PM
I watch the Dr. Phil show everyday. I just got done watching Dr Phil plead to Sabby about returning to Copper Canyon to continue with a program that will help her turn her life around. I am always so impressed by the difference Dr Phil makes in the lives of so many derailed teens. What offended me was the comment about her not wanting to end up in a trailer park. I live in a trailer park. It doesn't define who I am. Am I less of a success because this is what we can afford? I own a home, maybe not my dream home, but I feel very blessed to have a roof over my head. Some people have far less. I would love to give my son a nice house to grow up in. In a neighborhood that doesn't involve drugs and all the trouble that follows that environment. I pray that is in God's plan for us. The only thing in my power is to cling to my family in the home that God has provided and teach my son right from wrong.  It is a trailer, but as long as my family is together under its roof, it is our home and it is full of love. Is there really something so horrible about that?

Replied By: vannesm on Jul 17, 2013, 10:27AM - In reply to kellucky1
But DP backpedaled immediately and seamlessly: "...a trailer park with no utiliies."   Some of us are even in that no-utilities spot, too -- but most of those folks wouldn't have been watching Dr. Phil that day.  Granted, this show isn't a live broadcast; but It amazes me how unscripted and/or live-broadcast people make so few foot-in-mouth mistakes. 

Replied By: kellucky1 on Jul 16, 2013, 9:58PM - In reply to harleyblackpea
That was wrong of Dr Phil for saying that, and I hope he issues an appology to all those offended.

I can't help however mentioning how impressed I am with your ability to see today's show tomorrow today. :)

Replied By: mayjacks on Jul 16, 2013, 9:06PM
I'm not surprised their daughter was pulled out like this, I'm very glad she ended up having an wonderful time. It would be good for the family and the school to look into programs like Project Unify that would put the "normally developing" children into the room and partnering with "Special Ed" students.  I have 2 special needs children, my older boy plays Basketball on a team that has Project Unify Students involved, he loves it. The Regular Ed students learn about our children and become safe people for our kids to reach out to within the schools.

Replied By: mommatoad on Jul 16, 2013, 6:47PM - In reply to anitadunn
I agree, this is a classic case of co-dependency. Sabbys been given the tools needed to begin repairing her life, mom unfortunately lacks those tools much less grasps why her daughter even needs them. Sabby has been forced back into the unhealthy role her mother perceives for her child - come on folks this is psych 101, this teen does not stand a chance if more wrap around services are not provided PDQ - especially a good adult role model. This was so classic I nearly laughed out loud... and would have if that girl's future were not so at risk. We tend to focus on the bad behavior in teens failing to consider what's behind it. I can just see a future Dr. Phil show where Sabby will be on there complaining about her needy mother, seeking answers to a problem that's come full circle. Good TV, but lets do what's required here - lets show some real solutions that have a lasting impact for those in similar situations, because there's plenty need!

Replied By: mommatoad on Jul 16, 2013, 6:46PM - In reply to anitadunn
I agree, this is a classic case of co-dependency. Sabbys been given the tools needed to begin repairing her life, mom unfortunately lacks those tools much less grasps why her daughter even needs them. Sabby has been forced back into the unhealthy role her mother perceives for her child - come on folks this is psych 101, this teen does not stand a chance if more wrap around services are not provided PDQ - especially a good adult role model. This was so classic I nearly laughed out loud... and would have if that girl's future were not so at risk. We tend to focus on the bad behavior in teens failing to consider what's behind it. I can just see a future Dr. Phil show where Sabby will be on there complaining about her needy mother, seeking answers to a problem that's come full circle. Good TV, but lets do what's required here - lets show some real solutions that have a lasting impact for those in similar situations, because there's plenty need!

Replied By: cwfinkle on Jul 16, 2013, 5:19PM
Have the parents considered that the nomination was real and the Facebook comments were from a few jerks at the school?  I'll have to look into this more. We have a mentally challenged boy at the high school where I teach and most kids treat him quite respectfully. I'm sure some people are jerks, but definitely the minority. 

Replied By: cwfinkle on Jul 16, 2013, 5:12PM
Brandon is a perfect example of what happens when parents don't raise their kids. I KNEW before they even said it that this was a step-father. Brandon is pissed off because his parents didn't keep it together and stay involved with him as parents. And he has every right to be. I wish Dr. Phil would acknowledge this, but it's not very politically correct. 

Replied By: harleyblackpea on Jul 16, 2013, 4:35PM
I was watching the July 17th show abourt Sabby & her Mom....& Dr phil was mentioning how he would like to see Sabby do well for herself....Dr Phil said he woudnt like to see her end up in a trailer park etc.....well I take offense to that remark Dr Phil. I as well as many of my well educated neighbors live in a trailer park...not all of us are trailer trash....we like the community & the affordable housing in these days economy! Just thought you should know living in a trailer park is not all bad!!

Cathi Owens

Replied By: melindaross on Jul 16, 2013, 4:30PM
Sabby seemed much more at peace on todays' show even if her mother did mess up her treatment. I hope she has the strength not to let her mother destroy her life. As the daughter of a toxic mother, I would strongly advise Sabby to stay as far away from her mother as she can.

Showing 1-10 of total 24 Comments