Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 05/23/13) Dr. Phil continues to unravel the painful details of Johnna’s past, including her relationship with her mother, Cindy -- with whom Johnna’s 23-year-old son, Chase, is now living. Johnna calls her mom “demonic” and a “sociopath” and claims she is poisoning Chase’s mind. Cindy admits she was a terrible mother who never wanted children, but she insists she’s a wonderful grandmother -- and blames Johnna for Chase’s current struggles. What’s at the root of their bad blood? Hear Cindy’s shocking confessions. Then, Dr. Phil offers Johnna tips for moving forward and changing her family legacy. Can she learn to put the past behind her and apply new parenting strategies that will help Chase to live on his own? Don’t miss this emotional conclusion!

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: sassy83 on Nov 12, 2013, 7:59AM
The son needs a good kick up hes backside!!Ungrateful and disrespectful to hes mother!She went around things the wrong way with spoiling him but you would think he would be a little less rude to her!Hes so used to getting everything handed to him that he wont change unless he gets the push he needs!
Mom defo went OTT with regards to him but Id say Mom didnt turn out to bad considering Grandma was the devil!And then Grandma had the cheek to put down her daughters parenting after she admitting all the nasty things she did?!!Counselling people,counselling!!

Replied By: rileyapril on Sep 7, 2013, 9:17AM
When Johanna failed the parenting test, I felt relieved that she could see where she didn't fufill all of her parental obligations, yet I want to know more about what to do AFTER a parent fails one or more questions on that test.

I was able to affirm my parenting efforts when I answered two of the five questions, but on the others I also fell short. My children are now young adults in college and I want to start teaching them or supporting them in learning on their own those things I failed to teach them before they became young adults.

Where do I begin? Dr. Phil has given Chase access to a personal trainer and a life coach and stated the parents' role was to support him in his efforts toward his goal of being a firefighter.

Is stop enabling step one? Is figuring out what they want in life and negotiating how I can support them step 2?  The real issue for me at this point as the young adults I raised don't know where they want to go in life. They are feeling overwhelmed by the options I guess. They are both capable young adults, but lack the self-confidence to choose a path and go forward.

Help me stop nagging them and critiquing their daily lives.

Replied By: whatcanisay on Sep 3, 2013, 12:46AM
If I lived in another country I may have been shocked by grandma's comments but since I live here in the USA I am not so shocked. It is sad to hear her say such things. I neither loathe her or praise her.

As for the young man he just needs tough love. Kick him out and he will either sink or swim. I believe he will swim.

For the adult daughter I am sure you have always been told these cruel things. Just ignore your mother and have nothing to do with her. You have already proven yourself so why care what she thinks or feels.
 Things will work out. They always seem to in the end.  Focus on your marriage.

Replied By: jennysgram on Aug 30, 2013, 7:13AM
I think it's naive to think that Chase, or pretty much any young 20-something, will continue to eat "peas before pie", no matter what may have been taught at home.  I know I couldn't wait to have chocolate chip cookies for breakfast once I was on my own!!

Replied By: loyalalways on Aug 29, 2013, 5:31PM
Grandma needs to be committed. She desperately needs help. If she tried to kill a child, she'll probably succeed with an adult if she decides that she doesn't like them. She is a dangerous, evil psychopath. Why is she free to talk the streets? I've seen some bad parents on Dr.Phil, but this woman takes the cake. I'd better not say anything more about that woman because I may start cussing.

I feel SO, SO sorry for Johnna. I'm so happy that she has such a loving husband. She deserves to have someone like him in her life. That son of hers needs to grow uip. His mother doesn't owe him anything. It's time he got off his butt and did for himself. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to take a bus, either.

I wish he'd move from grandma's, though because she's going to poison him. He doesn't deserve that. But, he stays there because she does things for him, just like his mother did. I wish he would read this because I'd like to tell him that the ONLY reason grandma is being nice to him is to get to his mother. She wants to hurt his mother and doesn't care what she has to do, as long as Johnna hurts.

Replied By: cozymess on Aug 28, 2013, 11:43PM
I felt like one thing that wasn't addressed throughout the entire show was asking Chase if he was depressed or not. I think in order to get him on the right path keep him on it  that should be addressed first. When you suffer from major depression whether you realize it or not it is the force that keeps you stuck on the couch, not wanting to do anything, not wanting to get dressed, not wanting to get up and ready and go talk to people to get the job. I really thought he was a nice kid and I hope he will be able to make things happen for himself with Dr. Phil's help as well.

Replied By: stephanie1959 on Aug 28, 2013, 6:22AM
I couldn't believe what I heard this demonic mother say.......I would start proceedings right away regarding the comments she made! Shoving feces down a childs' throat? It's a wonder Joanna is as 'normal' as she is with a person like that raising her. I was wondering how the son passed? Is there a questionable death here also? So, she has the right to say her daughter is a bad mother, and what was she in comparison? OMG! Would love to be on the show and slap that woman in the face, but you were right in not having her on, the whole show would've been about her and her abusive ways. Myself, I'd have had the authorities standing by!

Replied By: squeeziecake on Aug 27, 2013, 8:01PM - In reply to estabiz
Esther - I don't think you're a bad mom for giving up your daughter.  To know that you don't want to give her a possibly rough and abusive life and to give her to a family that wants children, I bow down to you!  Thank you for giving her life and giving her to a loving family!

Replied By: buddacup63 on Aug 27, 2013, 7:55PM - In reply to funkin75
I TOTALLY agree! She's an evil, sick person who will be judged by her Maker! There's a special place in hell for people as sick as her! Poor Johnna.

Replied By: buddacup63 on Aug 27, 2013, 5:08PM
I related to the segment of today's show, 8/27/2013, when Dr. Phil gave Johnna his parent test. I gave myself the test and also failed....no surprise! I thought I was parenting my sons with the correct discipline and guidance until I look back at the time came for them to decide what they wanted to do with their lives. I tried to give them direction but they procrastinated as I continued to enable them, giving them all the time in the world. No deadline. I'm doing it again with the last son of three. I'm very frustrated because I know I've failed them. I hope by reading Dr. Phil's book "Life Code" I will learn how to help my son by supporting him and giving assistance he needs to make adecision about what to do with his life. Thanks Dr. Phil!

Showing 1-10 of total 136 Comments