Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 05/14/13) Thirty-five-year-old Tonya says from ages 5 to 15, her adoptive father, Bruce, molested her -- and that despite her cries for help, her mother, Kathy, did nothing to stop it. Kathy admits that she believed her daughter’s claims but was too afraid to take action. Why did she allow Bruce to live in the same house as her daughter -- even after he allegedly admitted to the abuse? Tonya says she was not only betrayed by her mother but also her half-sister, Sarah, Bruce’s biological daughter. Tonya claims that Sarah continued to support her father after he pleaded guilty to sexual acts on or in the presence of a child under 16 in a lewd, lascivious or indecent manner. Tonya faces Kathy and Sarah on Dr. Phil’s stage. Can she find forgiveness and finally heal the wounds of her painful past? Plus, hear from Bruce, who served one year in prison and 10 years of probation and is now a registered sex offender. Does he have any remorse? This program contains strong sexual content. Viewer discretion advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Replied By: wifey2015 on Oct 5, 2015, 9:29AM - In reply to bgbearsmom
I just wanted to say hi and thank you for your kind words. After the show I changed my name so I could start over. i just came across all of these posts today and just wanted to let you know I read what you wrote. It means a lot to me
Replied By: wifey2015 on Oct 5, 2015, 9:20AM - In reply to mangocarrot
I just came across all of these posts today. I wanted to say thank you for all the kids words. After the show I changed my name so I could start over. If you don't believe me feel free to look me up on Facebook. I know go by Lynnex.
Replied By: wifey2015 on Oct 5, 2015, 9:15AM - In reply to fromsunnysa
I just wanted to say hi and thank you for your kind words of suppor. This is really my (Tonya) after the show I legally changed my name so I could start over. I know go by Lynnex. Feel free to look me up on Facebook if you don't believe me.
Replied By: fromsunnysa on Jan 19, 2015, 6:41PM
Dearest Tonya,

I just watched your story on Dr. Phil and just had to send you a message which I hope you will receive. I am not one to generally do this (to make online comments etc.) but there are a few things I feel as a young woman I just have to affirm for you. I want you to know that others who have watched like myself see that you were hurt terribly by this horrible being and that this hurt is still affecting you... you have every right to be angry and for any one to expect you to just get over things is ludricrous. It is sick that your sister still wants a relationship with this man and I totally understand why you don't want her in your life. She doesn't deserve your time and you are better off without her in your life. Your anger towards her is totally warranted, however do not spend anymore time on hoping she will see what is right and what is wrong, just rid your life of her and be the great individual that you are. I only wish you find internal peace.

By now you may have already started your studies as I am in South Africa and it seems the show was aired some time ago in the US. I do pray things are going well with you - you are a true survivor.

Replied By: mangocarrot on Aug 19, 2014, 11:48PM
Dear Tonya,

I hope you have a good life, unlike your selfish sister. But It would be nice if you could try to reconcile with your mother. Besides all she try to do was to protect you from your stepfather. But still I hope for the best You're a very good person. You should deserve better.

May god bless you, and the heavens above.

from a good person
Replied By: angelrose70 on May 19, 2014, 1:13PM
Just finished watching this on another site and felt the need to come here to post the comment.  The mother should be held accoutable but the one that irritated me the most was the self righteous TOXIC sister.  Tanya should totallyt cut that person from her ilfe and count her blessings to have her gone.  Anytime a sister is going to DEFEND someone that molested and destroyed her childhood is NOT needed in her life and Dr. Phil shoudl  have called that out more.  Instead he allowed the sister to in a way contiue to abuse her by allowing to state she manipulative and other things.  And her defending her mother for staying with a good for nothjing piece of you know what instead of taking her family and leaving proves what a selfish person she was.  She would have ratherer her sister CONTINUED to be molested then have to give up being the princess.  That said a lot right there.
Replied By: goodswin on Jan 8, 2014, 2:41PM
To Toyna and Dr Phil i have just watched your show called turning a blind eye. I was sexual abused by my step dad for other 10 years. What Dr Phil said about forgiiveness is so true for years i had so much hate for my family so much so that i have had to spend 3 times in a mental health hospital, don't this man win. Like me with my dad i had to say in the end he has taking 44 years of my life he is not going to take one more day more. It is not your folt he is a sick person your mum should of stoped it like my mother should of done but like you my mother never stopted it even though she new it was going on, you have to let go of that because if you don't that will over fill your life just as much as the abuse. As for your sister i don't think she lives in the real world, but it much be hard for her as it is her dad, but she should stand by you. i hope being on the Dr Phil show has helped you and you get some peace in your life all the best.
Replied By: phoenix1314 on Oct 31, 2013, 5:24AM
Dear Tonya, First of all, I was shocked by  the contrast between you and your mother and sister: You looked so classy and intelligent, whereas they looked so commonplace.  You obviously have superior genes.   Secondly, your sister's attitude disgusted me: she is a bitch as you rightly said.You should have nothing to do with her I was upset a bit with Dr. Phil there is nothing dysfunctional  about your attitude I would be 10 times augrier.The trauma is still present in your life on a daily basis given your family's disgusting attitude. Thirdly, he got one year and you got no compen­ation? Disgusting! Either Bruce or the State should pay you a significant amount for failing to protect you. Why did you not sue them to seek financial compensation? My heart goes out to you and I hope you will find the happiness that you deserve.
Replied By: rtdjr23 on Aug 30, 2013, 8:58AM
The world has been compromised many times over. However these children abuse issues need to find new legal legislation changes.. it says many adults from poor or no moral judgement and illness has licensec for such crime to go without serious punishment.Prison  and or Mental ward prisons are not working for next generation offenders ./ What is the choice? Ask you Congress men/ women to feel the pain!!( have they a clue? most likely NO!.) It has not effected or infected their children. Wonder if those sick people will remain sick if they knew  Prison was not  a choice ?

Mental cases: those convicted find themselves more likely to be less than  whole.  Options could be sent to laboratories for internal brain exams, while they are totally aware of prodding without  the aid of go under the gas. While awake !  hmm?

Physical : take  it to the limit; yes using imagination.......... as long as their natural life ,till death.

Maybe  then !

Replied By: strong4m on Aug 28, 2013, 11:13AM - In reply to cudee58
I agree, these women are reprehensible. Yet, there are so many like them.
Showing 1-10 of total 414 Comments