Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 05/14/13) Thirty-five-year-old Tonya says from ages 5 to 15, her adoptive father, Bruce, molested her -- and that despite her cries for help, her mother, Kathy, did nothing to stop it. Kathy admits that she believed her daughter’s claims but was too afraid to take action. Why did she allow Bruce to live in the same house as her daughter -- even after he allegedly admitted to the abuse? Tonya says she was not only betrayed by her mother but also her half-sister, Sarah, Bruce’s biological daughter. Tonya claims that Sarah continued to support her father after he pleaded guilty to sexual acts on or in the presence of a child under 16 in a lewd, lascivious or indecent manner. Tonya faces Kathy and Sarah on Dr. Phil’s stage. Can she find forgiveness and finally heal the wounds of her painful past? Plus, hear from Bruce, who served one year in prison and 10 years of probation and is now a registered sex offender. Does he have any remorse? This program contains strong sexual content. Viewer discretion advised.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: angelrose70 on May 19, 2014, 1:13PM
Just finished watching this on another site and felt the need to come here to post the comment.  The mother should be held accoutable but the one that irritated me the most was the self righteous TOXIC sister.  Tanya should totallyt cut that person from her ilfe and count her blessings to have her gone.  Anytime a sister is going to DEFEND someone that molested and destroyed her childhood is NOT needed in her life and Dr. Phil shoudl  have called that out more.  Instead he allowed the sister to in a way contiue to abuse her by allowing to state she manipulative and other things.  And her defending her mother for staying with a good for nothjing piece of you know what instead of taking her family and leaving proves what a selfish person she was.  She would have ratherer her sister CONTINUED to be molested then have to give up being the princess.  That said a lot right there.

Replied By: goodswin on Jan 8, 2014, 2:41PM
To Toyna and Dr Phil i have just watched your show called turning a blind eye. I was sexual abused by my step dad for other 10 years. What Dr Phil said about forgiiveness is so true for years i had so much hate for my family so much so that i have had to spend 3 times in a mental health hospital, don't this man win. Like me with my dad i had to say in the end he has taking 44 years of my life he is not going to take one more day more. It is not your folt he is a sick person your mum should of stoped it like my mother should of done but like you my mother never stopted it even though she new it was going on, you have to let go of that because if you don't that will over fill your life just as much as the abuse. As for your sister i don't think she lives in the real world, but it much be hard for her as it is her dad, but she should stand by you. i hope being on the Dr Phil show has helped you and you get some peace in your life all the best.

Replied By: phoenix1314 on Oct 31, 2013, 5:24AM
Dear Tonya, First of all, I was shocked by  the contrast between you and your mother and sister: You looked so classy and intelligent, whereas they looked so commonplace.  You obviously have superior genes.   Secondly, your sister's attitude disgusted me: she is a bitch as you rightly said.You should have nothing to do with her I was upset a bit with Dr. Phil there is nothing dysfunctional  about your attitude I would be 10 times augrier.The trauma is still present in your life on a daily basis given your family's disgusting attitude. Thirdly, he got one year and you got no compen­ation? Disgusting! Either Bruce or the State should pay you a significant amount for failing to protect you. Why did you not sue them to seek financial compensation? My heart goes out to you and I hope you will find the happiness that you deserve.

Replied By: rtdjr23 on Aug 30, 2013, 8:58AM
The world has been compromised many times over. However these children abuse issues need to find new legal legislation changes.. it says many adults from poor or no moral judgement and illness has licensec for such crime to go without serious punishment.Prison  and or Mental ward prisons are not working for next generation offenders ./ What is the choice? Ask you Congress men/ women to feel the pain!!( have they a clue? most likely NO!.) It has not effected or infected their children. Wonder if those sick people will remain sick if they knew  Prison was not  a choice ?

Mental cases: those convicted find themselves more likely to be less than  whole.  Options could be sent to laboratories for internal brain exams, while they are totally aware of prodding without  the aid of go under the gas. While awake !  hmm?

Physical : take  it to the limit; yes using imagination.......... as long as their natural life ,till death.

Maybe  then !

Replied By: strong4m on Aug 28, 2013, 11:13AM - In reply to cudee58
I agree, these women are reprehensible. Yet, there are so many like them.

Replied By: strong4m on Aug 28, 2013, 11:06AM
Dear Tonya,

You are a beautiful woman. Don't let anyone insult you or your feelings. 

Your mother and sister are despicable women. They should have begged for your forgiveness on national tv. That's the healing you need, their remorse and taking responsibility for violating you so heinously.

Dr. Phil ended the show by making excuses for your mother. She belongs in jail too for neglect and abuse.

Your stepfather got only one year in jail?  Outrageous.

Your Support Sister   

Replied By: bgbearsmom on Aug 26, 2013, 8:20PM
In the city where I live, this story has been aired at least 5 times since it's original air date which tells me that this story touched the hearts of many people.  I myself have never been molested but this is one of the BEST Dr. Phil shows to ever air.  This IS THE BEST DR. PHIL SHOW TO EVER AIR.  I have watched it the 5 times that it's aired in my city and that's not including the times I've watched it online.  I sent the link to this particular show to my family because it was something anyone should share with those they care about.
THIS STORY MADE ME EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL!
Tonya, I would be just as angry as you and you have a RIGHT to be angry.  Your mother should have left that terrible man the FIRST TIME SHE DISCOVERED IT and WHEN YOU CAME TO HER!  I DO NOT CARE if she had been molested in the past! I DO NOT CARE if she had nowhere to go!  The fact that she had been molested in the past should be even more of a reason not to let that same thing happen to your young daughter and then have 3 kids with him knowing already what he's done!!! Your mother should have received time in prison for not protecting you and for not coming forward.  I agree with you 100%!  Your sister... don't get me started on her... She should not have ANY relationship with that man regardless if he's her father after what he did to her innocent sister.  She is not at all understanding and I do not believe she evens care what you have been through.  This show really made me emotional and every time I've seen it I've cried for you because I AGREE with the anger that you have toward your mother and sister.  Hang in there Tonya.  Please get your education and do it for you, not for your mom, your sister or anyone that feels that you should just "get over this".  Do it for you.  You are in my heart and I pray for you.  I do.

Replied By: nanmit on Aug 24, 2013, 8:26AM - In reply to phillibuster
Thank you for your comment, I cried, it was helped, there is so much that was never told, and at my age I remarried six years go and quit my jobs,did not know this man long enough, met him at work. At once red flags went up, and noticed feeling odd,srange smells in the air while he was at work, chemicles,felt sleepy, paraniod,after I got fresh air it went away.by the time he got home from work,the smells were gone, he wood say , I have a bad smeller,can't smell it. It was comig from the air returns I think. after so long I said I want to move back to Ohio,and wait for you to move there. The house I am in was fine until he came for a visit, he went back and then the gases and other things started, no one would help at first, they yhought it was me, I'm angry, the gas company founnd the leeks and furnace guys found pvc pipes that were not right and thats why I was so sleepy I could barely walk. When he came here for visits and left I would feel sick in this house. He must have changed his mind about moving here after I told him, I suspect he was the one making me sick, he said I was crazy, There is much more but now he is starting to make it hard to have spending money, someone told me he had munchouser byproxy [sorry for spelling], When I drove my car I would fell high or confused, parnoid, there would be smells, after all these years I found out I was breathing radiator fluid, it was leaking from the hose near the eingine [sorry again] and going into the cabin of the car. I would walk around the strore feelings were altered, now I know why he had so much of that stuff in the garage, with the hood up. I started happening here, had it fixed, and again, fixed again, I have real paranoia now because of this, how am I going to go to work to support myself, I don't feel normal anymore, this last form of abuse did it. I to old and now scared of people because I don't think I'm normal, because this man stands tall and acts normal, while I don't look anyone in the face anymore. What has happened to me, I am so alone. My daughter is in a whole differant world, I lost contact with former employees,  Dr.s need to bring this sort of sickness up front, this form of abuse is unusual and hard to explaine, then you alone with it. I need Dr. phil. I won't go to a Dr. here because my husband contolls who see th statments, and wnen I lived with him he wanted to go in when I seen the Dr. I couldn't talk. Has anyone ever had this happen to them.  I need to talk to someone and feel like my own person again. If I don't get it together soon I will be homeless.   When I read about all the abuse out there, I remember to wrap my HEART around them, I would help them if I could. Nanmit

Replied By: theroo on Aug 23, 2013, 9:35AM
Though I read these stories a lot, I don't often logon to comment.  But, your story prompted me to register on Dr. Phil to comment. I was abused as well (though certainly not to the extent or timframe in which you were), but sometimes I have a fury so ferocious that I'm afraid it will physically manifest into some black wind that will consume the entire world...in short, it eats me alive. So I can only imagine the all consuming rage that you have to deal with day in and day out.  The betrayl you have experienced...is heartwrenching.  I really have no advice, I just wanted to tell you that though we are strangers, I'm sending you the most heartfelt prayers that you find your way through this.  That we both learn to forgive and let go, not for their sake, but so you and I and all victims of abuse can live the life WE deserve.  Keep fighting the good fight.  I will too...and hopefully we'll all come out on the otherside.  Best wishes.

Replied By: cudee58 on Aug 22, 2013, 11:05AM
Do u notice that 99% of the pedophile abusers have an accomplice.. The mother... I can't believe there are that many sick, pathetic women who would do anything to keep a man.... I'm ashamed to be the same gender.

Showing 1-10 of total 410 Comments