Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

On October 25, 2011, 32-year-old American aid worker Jessica Buchanan and her colleague, 60-year-old Poul Hagen Thisted of Denmark, were kidnapped by Somali pirates. They were held captive for 93 days in the African desert -- enduring deplorable conditions, including very little food, water and sleep, and living in constant fear that they’d be killed at any moment. News of the capture was kept quiet to protect the hostages, while the U.S. military planned a top-secret rescue mission. On January 25, 2012, in a stealthy nighttime operation, Jessica and Poul were rescued by members of Navy SEAL Team Six -- the same unit that carried out the raid that killed Osama bin Laden. In a daytime exclusive, Jessica opens up to Dr. Phil about her horrific experience, which she details in her book, Impossible Odds: The Kidnapping of Jessica Buchanan and Her Dramatic Rescue by SEAL Team Six. Hear her account of the kidnapping. How did she get through her darkest hours? Plus, Jessica, now a new mom, confides that she still has nightmares and flashbacks of her ordeal. Can Dr. Phil help her move past the traumatic experience so she can focus on her family?

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: mithoonam312 on May 16, 2013, 3:36PM - In reply to lainie51
It's amazing how you see her terribly frightening experience in those african sands she went through? She would rather not write that book and take back the days if she knew what would happen to her.

Replied By: mithoonam312 on May 16, 2013, 3:29PM
All credit goes to Jessica's huband who moved the mountains to protect his wife. It's good to see that such brave civil soldiers in the form of husbands still exist. It's a complacent sense of security to know that one's country could take that toughest challenge to rescue its people that way. Above all it's awesome to know that there are still Messiah's like you Dr. Phil who tells Jessica that she's 'been rescued the second time' and making her realise the value of life and her husband as well. Hat's off to you sir!

Replied By: ilwu500 on May 15, 2013, 1:38AM
Evan an ambasador doesn't get a seal team [no help at all] I suspect this couple must be CIA

Replied By: ilwu500 on May 15, 2013, 1:30AM
Must be CIA to get a seal team-evan an ambasador doesn't get SEALS

Replied By: bunny2001 on May 14, 2013, 9:15PM - In reply to to2707
Very foolish in my opinion, let alone putting lives of others in ijeopardy.  I'm talking about the Seals.  And what about the cost of this rescue?  If they heard gunshots out in the streets before they left why in the world would they proceed into the dessert?.  Very stupid and naive.

Replied By: janetplanet3 on May 14, 2013, 12:52PM
Comparing Jessica’s kidnapping to a commercial airliner being taken hostage is nonsense. What Jessica did, is like flying a private plane (let’s call it US1Plane)”) into hostile, dangerous territory, where it is well known that US1Planes are DESPISED and often hijacked. Then getting hijacked, crying out for rescue, and endangering YET more people for absolutely no reason.

I’m not specifically blaming Jessica. I am blaming our culture’s bizarre need to go into other countries and tell and show them what they should be doing. I reckon it to feeding your neighbors’ children when your own family is starving.

I am not saying Jessica wasn’t a victim. But I am saying that almost the first words out of her mouth were that she didn’t think what she was doing was safe, and that she felt pressured into it. If she knew about the danger and did it anyway, I think she must take some ownership in the outcome. I do wish her the best and am very glad she’s safe. But looking back at her experience, would she have the nerve to say it was worth it? Would she recommend other people go to Somalia to be aid workers?

Making these comments doesn't mean that I'm trying to blame the victim. It means that I think if you put yourself into situations you SHOULD NOT put yourself into, you can get yourself and others killed. 

But trust me, if my family member were kidnapped, I would do any and every single thing I could to rescue them. That's if they could go to such a dangerous place over my dead body.  

Replied By: fraser19 on May 14, 2013, 11:26AM

I am enraged with some of the posts.
Many people have been taken hostages on planes and in other countries for various reasons. Should we judge them too for taking a trip? I think not! Whether you visit another country for work or pleasure it can happen to anyone. 
Jessica did not turn her back to help others so why do you think her Country should have turned their back on her? 
Until you have experienced this type of situation in your own family maybe silence is your best response. I feel for Jessica and her family. If it wasn't for the officials of my country (Canada) and negotiators my children would have lost their father.  It is a very trying experience. So show some compassion. I hope all the people judging Jessica for her decisions never ever have to go through what she or her family did. Trust me it's worse then losing a family member to death.

I wish you and your family all the best Jessica. Eventually it does get better. You are a strong individual. :)

Replied By: cnaturelover on May 14, 2013, 7:14AM
Perhaps it would be prudent if before aid workers enter a foreign nation with the mindset that they're doing those people a favor, they look into the causes that created the circumstances that put that those folks in need to begin with? For example did their own countries policies of turning a blind eye to the corporate tatics of bribing local officials in exchange for land rights set the stage for disaster?  And maybe a stint doing aid work in their own nations drug and gang addled communties would serve as a better  place to cut their idealist teeth? In short handing a kid a piece of food does not make you a hero or him all better, Jeez.

Replied By: upsydasy on May 14, 2013, 6:36AM - In reply to christinmoffit
Thank you for writing such an insightful post.  I too was surprised to hear about “learned helplessness” for the first time.  I am also very shocked by the lack of empathy I’m reading here and sad to witness the age old mindset of:  “well, she asked for it” that still plagues so many victims of this world.  I wonder if any of the members of the heroic Seal Team Six feel the same way after risking their lives to save one of their own.  From the outside this dramatic rescue sends an important message to anyone who messes with the great and powerful United States of America.  If you threaten the life of just one its citizens, you will have to bear the consequences of your actions; THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY.    I’m a very proud French Canadian whose family arrived on the shores of New France in the year 1646 and that’s the message that I heard as the details immerged from this story.  I can’t say whether or not any of the child soldiers who abducted Jessica heard the same message (that is if any of them were left alive), but I’m sure others in the world did.  They may even think twice before attacking anyone who hails from the U.S.A., even if they just happen to be a small insignificant aid worker who simply wanted to teach children not to pick-up undetonated bombs that they see littering the fields near their villages.  WOW!  You go girl!  I’m glad your country valued you enough to come and get ya out of there.

Replied By: laurieseel on May 14, 2013, 5:46AM
This show was disappointing.  I hope she shares the proceeds of her book with the men that went in and saved her.  While everyone is free to volunteer, serve and work where they like I am an unclear how her high risk decision is worthy of an hour of Dr. Phil.  Everyone knows how dangerous that part of the world has been and continues to be.  I refuse to see this woman as a victim  or a worthy reason to spend my dollars.  God bless the brave and wise men that went in ther to save her.  Do a show on that!

Showing 1-10 of total 28 Comments