Twitter Facebook YouTube

2013 Shows

(Original Air Date: 05/08/13) Five years ago, Andrew and Sarah lost custody of their then 5-year-old son, Drew, to Sarah’s mother, Roberta, while they struggled with alcohol addiction. Roberta says Andrew and Sarah are still unstable and unfit to be full-time parents, and she won’t relinquish custody until they prove they “have grown up.” She claims that Sarah is neglectful and has a history of violence and once choked her while she was driving, landing Sarah in prison for five days on charges of assault, battery and obstruction of justice. Andrew and Sarah admit they’ve made mistakes but say they’ve turned their lives around, and now they want their son back. Dr. Phil sends The Locator’s Troy Dunn to Andrew and Sarah’s home -- are they sober now? And, are they capable of providing a safe environment for a child? Dr. Phil delves into the couple’s past and uncovers a painful loss -- can he help these troubled parents learn healthier coping strategies and get their lives back on track? Plus, don’t miss Dr. Phil’s tips for anyone who is hoping to regain custody of a child.

Find out what happened on the show.
Comments
Replied By: maurboo on Feb 18, 2014, 12:49AM - In reply to bouknadel1955
You wrote:

"I am the grandmother in the situation, and have the great blessing of rearing my grandson!

He is the dearest child and has a loving open innocent heart.  I would never tell him that he has no need

to prepare for his future! 

While I am a Bible-believing Christian who is looking for the return of our Lord Jesus, I believe we go on

with sensible, balanced lives while waiting for the promises of God to be fulfilled.

Additionally, this little boy adores his parents and it is important for him to spend SAFE, HAPPY times

with them.  I try to facilitate this as best I can. 

Thanks to all for your prayers,

"Grandma"

"Grandma"     "

Dear "Grandma",

I hit on this posting by mistake and I am so glad I did. I realize it's been months since this show aired and doubt you or anyone else will even see my reply here, but I thought I'd respond because this is the first time I am seeing your post.

I originally wrote that I was concerned about the father's accusation that you talked about the "rapture" to your Grandson and how he didn't need to prepare for the future because there wouldn't be one. Well, I am so glad that you have rested my head a bit regarding this by letting us all know that this is not the case. I wish you had been given the opportunity to say that on the show, but I'm glad I now know. I have thought about this show from time to time and have prayed for your Grandson and his parents and will continue to do so. All I can say is thank God you are there to love and guide him through life. I wish the best for you and your family.

God bless you.

Replied By: whatcanisay on Sep 3, 2013, 12:56AM
My heart goes out to the mother.....

Replied By: misschristianm on Aug 28, 2013, 8:44AM - In reply to wilcon1
I cannot say how many times my 17-year-old daughter, who is a senior this year, has said something incorrectly.  The teachers in this town really have no clue.  They are not educated at all.  Very sad.

Replied By: canadianlaurel on Aug 19, 2013, 3:51PM
I am very disturbed by these parents.  To start with, Andrew is both abusive and stupid.  For him to behave in the manner that he does is very very frightening.  He is illogical and appears to lack a real conscience.

She is so out of it and yet it seems like she's trying really hard to get well.  I think it's going to be a long journey for her.  I don't feel there's any real hope for him.  He has a personality disorder.

I'm thankful Dr. Phil brought the truth out on his show.  There is no way these parents should regain custody of their son in their current state.  I'm glad Dr. Phil is willing to work with them.

Replied By: dreamsrock on Aug 18, 2013, 10:31AM
Is Roberta (the mother of either Sarah or Andrew) a FALSE prophet?  In the part that was pre-taped, she said something about the rapture was not going to come until her grandson was 16 or 18, one of those.  Kind of like, the world was going to end in 2012.

Replied By: newsmom on Aug 17, 2013, 7:32AM
These parents shoudn't even have such generous visitation!!!! he is no where near sober, he's a "dry drunk," and prone to even more relapses. She is an emotional wreck and in need of YEARS of therapy to get herself to a place where she is emotionally healthy enough to be a fulltime parent. 

It scares me to no end that these two get their son for even a few days each week. They clearly can not care for themselves. How can they take care of a soon-to-be teenager? 

Replied By: nncyrioseco on Aug 17, 2013, 5:37AM
This mother?daughter is way too messed up to re-gain custody. I speak from experience. I had custody of my nephew for over four years. I knew I had no clue what I got myself into. This child cried for his Mom on a daily basis, told me he hated me for taking him away from his Mom. This almost 5 year old little boy did not know his colors, the alphabet, numbers, he only knew abuse and neglect. I , according to him now, made the biggest mistake by sending him back to his Mom. I thought at the time that I was doing the right thing. I felt that to keep a child from his Mother was wrong and selfish. I made the mistake of thinking of myself first and not him! I have to live with this everyday and pray that others aren't as selfish and stupid as I was. Thank you Dr. Phil.

Replied By: jat8818 on Aug 16, 2013, 6:45PM
I did this once and it never showed up for some reason. For djstevonso:

1. Depressed mood most of nearly every day

2. Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in almost all activities

3. Significant weight loss or gain

4. Insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every day

5. Psychomotor agitation or retardation nearly every day

6. Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day

7. Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt nearly every day

8. Diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day

9. Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide.

Replied By: jat8818 on Aug 16, 2013, 5:48PM - In reply to djstevenso
1. Depressed mood most of nearly every day

2. Markedly diminished interest or pleasure in almost all activities

3. Significant weight loss or gain

4. Insomnia or hypersomnia nearly every day

5. Psychomotor agitation or retardation nearly every day

6. Fatigue or loss of energy nearly every day

7. Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt nearly every day

8. Diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness, nearly every day

9. Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide.

This kind of sounds like me too.

Replied By: cheryl12750 on Aug 16, 2013, 4:11PM
I didn't watch this when it was on in May so I don't know how things are now. But this couple can not have this chid back. Yes, the grandmother is getting older & her grandson is getting older & yes he does need to be with his parents. But not now. They are both not equipped to raise this child. The mother is so out of it right now she can not carry on a conversation or really understand what's going on. The father has such anger issues that I would be afraid for that child to be in the home for any length of time. He needs to get control of this. I don't think he is clean & sober at all. He may not be drinking but he is substituting drugs for the alcohol. These parents should not be alone with their son. They should have subervised visits with him. The parents are a cannon ready to explode. Anything is going to set them off. I fear for the safety of this little boy when he is with his parents.

These parents need to get down on their knees & thank the Grandmother for taking in their son & not having him go into the system. They are very ungrateful people. Watching this show I wanted to slap both of them to wake them up. They have no clue. In my opinion.Tthey should never have their son back living with them. They are the most unstable people I have ever seen. Dr Phil you have offered all the help in the world but this is one couple that will not stay clean & sober. I have a feeling if they came back on your show now they would look & act like Ozzie & Harriett but it would be just that an act.

Showing 1-10 of total 72 Comments